Save Saved
You added The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #33 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights for business. The check-in was ok - I note the clerk wasn't all that friendly but I talked to another clerk the next day and she was great - very friendly and courteous.

Positives: The room was very charming - the rooms were as depicted in the hotel's photos. The thermostat worked very well and was very quiet. The bathroom came with a shower/tub combo; it was roomy and equipped with higher-end products. The room also has flat screen tv, nice fluffy towels, robe, firm mattress and fairly firm down pillows, as well as nicer sheets. The hotel had two sets of elevators and I never had problems getting down to the lobby. Very friendly doormen and room service attendant who showed up promptly with my pre-ordered breakfast nearly every day (except the last day - a different attendant) on time. Also, the location is fantastic - only a block from the DuPont Circle metro station, a 24 hour CVS, local bars (Hotel Palomar has fantastic bar/restaurant and is just behind Fairfax), restaurants, and an easy walk to central DC areas.

Some room for improvement: I had asked for a quiet room and was placed on the third floor in a room that faced the building next door that was just a few feet away. I had to keep the curtains drawn all the time as people in the next building could see straight into my room. This wasn't a problem for me, as I was away most of the day and only used my room to sleep in. Also, you could hear the traffic noise (mainly when a bus went by) but it didn't really bother me and the area is so quiet anyway at night that noise was not a problem.

The room service was quite adequate for most of my stay (I only had breakfast ordered in so I can't comment on the quality of other food). The only problem was that on the last day, the maid had forgotten to leave the pre-order menu in the room, so I had to call for my breakfast and it took them an hour to get it to me, unlike the prior days. A minor annoyance and fortunately didn't interrupt my schedule but annoying nevertheless.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up to get a good view if that is important to you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We certainly appreciate you bringing the issues to our attention that detracted from your stay and we will be sure to mention your review to our staff to ensure a better experience for future guests. We’re very happy to hear that our accommodations, dining options and dedicated staff created a memorable stay for you and we know other guests will appreciate your suggestions. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Fairfax at Embassy Row in the future and we thank you for your review.

875 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Brockville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Fairfax in early November for our anniversary and had a great time. The hotel is in a great location. It felt safe and was close to the dupont circle metro station and some nice restaurants (including the one in the hotel).

The conceirge and staff were very helpful with great restaurant recommendations, tips, and a different set of pillows for my picky wife. We had drinks and food in the lounge downstairs, which was wonderful (although the server could have used a lesson on friendliness).

The room was a little smaller than I'd expected and faced an alley instead of the street, but it was comfortable, clean, and what we needed. I'd suggest if you were going to stay in the hotel for extended periods of time to upgrade from the basic room.

One thing I need to say (and this is applicable to all hotels) is: What's the deal with charging guests for wireless internet? This is nothing against this hotel, because it seems like all hotels in larger cities or above a certain price do it. You can get free wireless at cheap hotels or even at the McDonald's, but when you stay at a 5 star hotel you need to pay for it? It doesn't make sense to me.

Overall, for the price we paid (which was lower than most hotels in the city actually), this was a great stay and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time you took to share your comments regarding your recent stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. Happy Anniversary from all of us! Please don’t hesitate, for any future stays, to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable, from a room change to extra pillows. We do understand your frustration with charges for internet access, but hope you can appreciate that our fees are comparable, if not lower than many other Washington, DC hotels that charge for the same service. Thank you for your kind recommendation and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have been staying at the Fairfax for years. I consider it my home when I am in Washington. The property is aging but elegant. Accomodations are very comfortable, and food is excellent. The bar is cozy and inviting. But the best part of this hotel is the staff. The staff have been with them for years, some for decades, and they go out of their way to make one feel welcome and valued as a client. After several years away, when I pulled up in front of the hotel, the bellman said, "I thought you had a red car." He was correct. The last time I had stayed there I did indeed have a red car. I was amazed that he remembered.

Compared to other luxury hotels in DC, the price is reasonable as well.

The location of the property is excellent. It is a wonderful neighborhood for a walk, and the hotel is very close to the Philips Collection.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We can’t thank you enough for your continued loyalty to The Fairfax at Embassy Row and for your kind recommendation to others. It’s wonderful that you feel right at home when staying with us and it has certainly been our pleasure to welcome you as a guest. We look forward to your next visit with us and we hope it’s very soon. Thank you for your review.
Pacific Northwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the Fairfax for two nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful, first rate service. When my original room only had a shower, they happily moved me to another room with a bathtub. There was some sort of temperature governor on the faucet that was set too low, so a repairman was sent up to fix the problem within 5 minutes of my complaint.
The lounge bar was remarkable for several reasons. First, it is lovely and clubby with nice wi-fi. The lunch special included the best tomato soup I've ever had. Tea is served correctly, in a pot, with a cup and saucer, fitting the sort of British riding/sailing club mood. I was working so the waiter moved the table around so that I had enough room to spread out and work. Very attentive service.
The bar had very helpful and fun staff who took obvious pride in their work, refusing to use bottled lime juice for the best whiskey sour I've ever had--fresh lime only.
I didn't eat in the restaurant, the once the famous Jockey Club, but the fabulous grand marnier souffle can be enjoyed in the bar. The bartenders were kind enough to rush my souffle order in to make it before closing. The souffle is the best anywhere, and I'm told the same person has been in charge if these works of art for 30+ years. Ditto for the person assigned to the steak tartare. I didn't try the steak but it will be the first thing I try on my next visit. The folks making these dishes are a national treasure. The scene, mood and the style is all Mad Men, for real.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have showers, no bathtub. Fitness room was very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Well, we’ve never been compared to the stylized scenarios depicted on Mad Men before! Your review was refreshing and fun to read and we thank you for letting us know how happy you were with your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. Our dedicated staff works very hard to ensure each and every guest’s needs are met and that you leave here fully satisfied with your experience. It seems we met that goal with you and we thank you for letting us know. We hope you are able to join us again in the future and thank you again for your review.
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel staff were very friendly, and the location near Dupont Circle was excellent. I'd give it 4.5 if I could.
I had a room facing the street, 2nd floor, and had no trouble sleeping with the window open. The rooms were of decent size - only thing I missed was a bathtub rather than just a gigantic shower. :)
Possible minuses for some:
Very expensive bar, as well as breakfast ($24, before tips).
No seating section in lobby.
You have to pay for wifi (or use the free wifi in the lobby).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. We do appreciate hearing that our staff provided excellent service and that you enjoyed a restful night’s sleep. Please don’t hesitate in the future to let us know of your preferences so that we may provide you with the accommodations that best suit your needs. Please accept our apologies that your stay was not everything that you had anticipated and we would hope to be able to welcome you back for the exceptional stay that you deserve. Thank you for your review.
Plainview
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The service people were terrific...the room was comfortable,clean,with magnificent paintings of DC...the bar is comforting,room service is right on the food was great...the location can't be beat...and the price was right....

Room Tip: I would think any room is a good room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It is always our goal to provide our guests with an experience that is second-to-none and it seems we accomplished that during your recent stay. Thank you for your gracious compliments of our staff, accommodations and decor. We will be sure to let them know how much you enjoyed your experience. It would be our pleasure to welcome back to The Fairfax at Embassy Row very soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a short business trip. The location couldn't have been more convenient: about 15 minutes from Regan National, 1.5 blocks from the Metro, on the very charming Embassy row, steps away from Dupont Circle. From the check-in, every single staff member was courteous and helpful. I stayed in a superior room on the 5th floor. Although there was no view, it was quiet, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was modern. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
It's wonderful to hear when a guest appreciates the charm of the area that surrounds The Fairfax at Embassy Row and its convenience to the rest of Washington, DC. We can't thank you enough for your kind words regarding your stay and for your compliments for our staff. Thank you so much for your recommendation and the great review. We look forward to your next visit and hope that it's soon.

Been to The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

Address: 2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008
#6 Best Value Hotel in Washington DC
#18 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#23 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
#26 Family Hotel in Washington DC
#31 Business Hotel in Washington DC
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel 4.5*
The Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel is a luxury accommodation in Dupont Circle by the White House, National Mall, and Lincoln Memorial. We have 259 guest roms, a grand ballroom, and several meeting rooms ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Starwood, Amex, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Otel, Venere and HotelsClick so you can book your The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Fairfax At Embassy Row Hotel Washington Dc
Westin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Westin
Westin Embassy Row

If you own or manage The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.