“Excellent and polite service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #38 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Excellent and polite service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a conference that was at the Hilton. Walking distance to the Hilton. Superior king room was nice but on the smaller side. Very clean. Very comfy beds. Great bathroom! Room service was very helpful with an "order ahead" breakfast option. No noise at all. Only issues were one that this was an older hotel, and so there wifts of mildew. I think my allergies did not take so well to that. Also, it was very warm in our room and our temperature gauge could not do much about it. Hotel staff took a look at it while I was at the conference, but the issue was never resolved. Perhaps it is not something that they have control over, being an older hotel. Overall I really enjoyed my stay though.

• Stayed November 2012
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
It was great to welcome you to The Fairfax at Embassy Row during your recent conference. Please accept our apologies regarding any difficulties you may have experienced and we are working on addressing your concerns. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed a restful night's sleep and took advantage of our convenient room service during your stay. The pleasure would be all ours to welcome you back for another great stay in the future and we thank you for your review.

842 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Greek first
Long Beach Island, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent the weekend @ this lovely hotel. Steps away from Dupont Circle and the Metro. Lots of places to eat nearby. The room was very small but well equipped. Not much of a view. We were very busy and did not spend too much time in our room so that was good. Very helpful staff. A very enjoyable stay. We would return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row with us. With all the area has to offer, we're thrilled that your weekend included a chance to explore and enjoy the wonderful eateries surrounding our hotel. We're looking forward to your return visit and we thank you for your kind review.
new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I arrived early from NY and they were able to accommodate an early check-in (around noon). Tee Loofa checked me in with a smile. He told me he was in a good mood and that put me in a good mood too! I forgot my iPhone charger and the hotel manager offered me his to use for a couple of hours. Throughout my stay the staff always looking to go out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The experience that we wish each of our guest's to have is a personalized and welcoming one and we're thrilled to learn that your stay reflected that goal. It's amazing how infectious a genuine smile can be! Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of our staff and for letting us know how helpful they were during your stay. We will be sure to mention your review to them. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Fairfax at Embassy Row very soon and we thank you for your review.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The room was small and nicely appointed and the service was great.

My husband mentioned we were upgraded to this room becuase of his membership status but it does lead me to wonder what a regular room would have looked like. Our room was small and had a view of the alley. That did not bother us much as we were aware that boutique hotels in the city are usually in older buildings with smaller rooms. the heat in the room did not work that well but we were not freezing. I was able to relax and unwind before our evening out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row during your recent getaway in our Nation's Capital! We certainly appreciate your kind comments and are happy to learn that you were able to relax while staying with us. Thank you for alerting us to the temperature issue in your room as we will have our Maintenance Engineers look into it immediately. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back for another enjoyable stay very soon.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I should have known something was disfunctional when 4 attempts to directly email the hotel, in advance of my stay, met with not one response.

Via a Starwood representative, I was finally put in touch with the EA of the hotel's GM. Oddly they had no idea what happened to my advance correspondence, not have they still offered any detailed explanation.

While Hurricane Sandy was potentially (and initially) more of a direct theat to the DC metro area, using the storm as an excuse for lack of service and not even a welcome note (most times seasoned GM's provide one to loyalty program members anyway, let alone should someone have some issues preceding their stay.)

Perhaps challenges from what seemed a tired and unmotivated union "service" team (?), everything seemed overly casual and not very serious when it came to guest service.

In follow up, only excuses and more apologies without specifics on a detailed list of service breakdowns shows out of the ordinary lack of expert leadership or care for guests.

Stay clear. This is in no way a Luxury Collection property, although I've had challenges with Starwood's LC designation for some time. I seem to have better experiences at Westin and W properties. Actually their Four Points brand team might want to share some of their secrets - they truly seem to have their act together.

Room Tip: Book at the W or the Westin in Georgetown.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sag Harbor, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The minute we walked in they were the most pleasant experiences I have ever had. The young woman who greeted us (I forget her name but believe she was from Budapest). She practically knew our names before we checked in. The room was beautiful and all of the staff could not have been more gracious. From the concierge to the men who parked our car, everyone was falling over themselves to assist us. Warm greetings each and every time we came and went.

Great locations for everything. Breakfast was lovely with everything you could imagine. I would highly recommend this hotel for a stay in DC.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
What a wonderful compliment to learn that you would recommend staying at The Fairfax at Embassy Row to other travelers. It sounds like you had a wonderful time not only at our hotel, but in Washington, DC too! Our staff tries to attend to each guest's needs with the utmost respect and we appreciate that you notices and shared it in your review. It would certainly be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon and we thank you for your gracious review.
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I got there not knowing that my reservation was confirmed, the hotel manager didn't bother to tell me and gave me a room at a higher rate. Later he said, well you approved.
This hotel has nothing to offer, no lobby, no internet, tiny rooms. that is it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
The disappointment shared in your comments is not the experience that we expect for our guests, and having checked with our team at the front desk, we do not appear to have a record of this issue. We will continue to review our procedures and policies with our staff so that we may minimize the potential for any miscommunication in the future. Your feedback is welcomed and we appreciate the time taken to share your experience.

Been to The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

Address: 2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008
#13 Best Value Hotel in Washington DC
#20 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#25 Family Hotel in Washington DC
#29 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
#33 Business Hotel in Washington DC
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel 4.5*
The Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel is a luxury accommodation in Dupont Circle by the White House, National Mall, and Lincoln Memorial. We have 259 guest roms, a grand ballroom, and several meeting rooms ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Orbitz, Amex, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Agoda, Otel and Venere so you can book your The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Fairfax At Embassy Row Hotel Washington Dc
Westin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Westin
Westin Embassy Row

If you own or manage The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.