“Excelent location, confortable room, free wi-fi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Madison Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews Madison Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Madison Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1177 Fifteenth Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #26 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Caracas, Venezuela
“Excelent location, confortable room, free wi-fi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel is very close to the White House and other atractions. It also has a subway station in aproximately two blocks.

The room was very clean and confortable; it had a king bed, an armchair, a desk and HD Television. It also has free wi-fi. Also the bathroom was very modern and clean.

If I travel back to DC I will certainlty go back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear EliasDiaz,
Thank you for reviewing your Loews Madison stay. I’m delighted you had a nice stay and enjoyed our excellent location. As you highlight, we are 4 blocks to the White House, walking distance, and close to other popular D.C. attractions, from monuments to Embassy Row. Also, there are two different Metro/subway stations in close proximity, offering three train line options- the closest one is about 2 ½ blocks.

It’s great to learn you were comfortable in the room and enjoyed the free WiFi and furniture- we do offer rooms with different bed options, such as a king bed or two queen beds.

We hope you will stay with us again if you have the opportunity to travel to Washington, D.C.

1,140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We just returned from our mini getaway in Washington DC and were so pleased with our experience at the LM. The hotel shines with cleanliness and care. From the moment we arrived, the staff made certain everything went exactly as we hoped it would.

The rooms are very comfortable, updated and well appointed. Everything you need including mini bar, iphone ready alarm clock. Beds, extremely comfortable.

During our stay we took advantage of using the complimentary FIAT rides to get us to some of our destinations. This was a partnership between Loews and FIAT to offer a free (NO HASSLE) courtesy ride within a certain radius of the hotel...what a great way to get a free ride and check out the car. We used it twice and many thanks to Brandon our driver and Kalib who coordinated our times.

I would highly recommend this hotel as it was central to everything we wanted to see and well within walking distance of most of the sites (10 mins from The White House).

Just a note for travelers coming in from Dulles Int. Airport. I recommend the following method of travel...catch the Washington Flyer (Door 4 Arrivals)...pay $10 and it will take you to the West Falls Metro Station. Depending on time of arrival (during peak hours it costs a little more to take the Metro), you simply take the Orange Line to McPherson Station. Go up to street level and the Loews Madison is less than a 5 min walk north (on the east side). Could not be more simple and I believe its the cheapest way. From Dulles it took us about an hour and a bit.

BTW...almost everything we did was free. I was expecting to pay to get into some of the monuments/sites but all Smithsonian Museums, the Zoo, Arlington etc were all free. Great family getaway for those on a budget.

Hope this helps...good place for sure and we will be back with friends and family.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BernieMc,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m absolutely delighted you had such an enjoyable getaway stay, and everything was just as you’d hoped from the first moment. Thank you for mentioning the care we take with our property, which we strive to make evident in every detail from our team members’ attentive service to top notch cleanliness in every room.

I’m glad you were comfortable and had all the amenities you needed. As you mention, our central and convenient location is a top reason to stay here, and I’m glad you could take advantage and walk to many sites including the White House.

Our FIAT partnership is meant to be an extra convenience for guests, and I’m excited you enjoyed the complimentary ride service. For others considering it, we recommend making reservations in advance, if possible, as it gains in popularity with our guests – for planning purposes, it’s a drop-off service for destinations within a 3-mile radius (which covers many main DC attractions), currently offered from 11:30 am – 6:45 pm.

Thanks for your note about travel options from Dulles, and hopefully that will help other visitors. You’re correct that we are a 7-10 minute walk, depending on pace, from the Metro’s Orange and Blue Lines at McPherson Square station.

Washington, DC, has what seem to be countless free options from museums to galleries - indeed a great destination for families, and all kinds of travelers!

Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed here in March 2014 for a business trip and I have to say, it was amazing. I am often limited to lesser quality hotels, so when the published rates said Loew's was within policy, I jumped on it--especially since it was practically across the street from where I was working. The lobby was very impressive, the doormen and the valet always had a smile and a compliment...the staff at the front desk were warm and welcoming, and my room was very impressive! My bed was cozy, and the pillows were perfect. The restaurant was a little pricey for my typical budget, and I was observing orthodox Lent, so menu choices were tough at times. But the food was delicious. I didn't do a lot of exploring around town that week because it was still pretty cold for that time of year. I did find a Thai restaurant within walking distance that was fantastic (except for the fried tofu that I got...yuck!) I am hoping that job comes up on my radar in the future so that I can stay there again. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear GreyhoundGirlie,
Thank you for the review. Wow, we so appreciate your “amazing” remarks, and I’m delighted you were impressed with the Loews Madison. I’m glad it was a convenient location and that our friendly, attentive staff made a great impression on you. Our team members are dedicated to service that delights, surprises and makes our guests feel at home – I shared your praise with the team!

I’m glad you were so comfortable and cozy in the room and found some delicious food options in our PostScript restaurant. Since you didn’t have a lot of time to explore, I can tell you we are a short walk to the bustling dining scene on 14th St. Also, this summer 2014 we’re thrilled to be opening our new restaurant, Rural Society, an Argentinian Steakhouse by Iron Chef Jose Garces! Hopefully you can visit again very soon, and plan to dine in our brand new restaurant.

Thank you for choosing Loews Madison Hotel.

Cheers,
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

There are no coffee makers in the room, although my very recent AAA book said there were. They want you to buy their coffee in the Starbucks downstairs; Also, no refrigerator or microwaves. They gave us a Keurig, but did not replace coffee each day and halfway thru our stay, the Keurig stopped working, we asked for a replacement which they did not give us. Also, we got an email with an option to upgrade the room for a "view" for $12 additional per night. The "view" was a building across the street, there is no "view" of the city. Don't bother with this upgrade. Its a rip off. The room was smaller than I thought it would be for the price. We had to ask for wash towels a few times, and more coffee for the Keurig machine which we never got. We tried to get the Fiat complimentary ride but was told were we wanted to go was "too far". Then don't offer the service. For the price, I would not stay her again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Mmkern,
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay. You are correct we do not have coffee makers in the room, which is reflected in our Loews communications. I regret to learn that information was out of date in your AAA book and am sorry for the frustration it caused. We do now have a Barista Bar in our lobby area, serving several Starbucks Coffee and beverage options. Regarding the arrangements we made for your specially requested coffee maker, I sincerely apologize it stopped working and your requests were not met.

The views we offer are either interior or exterior views, the latter of which provides a street view except for some of our top floor suites. I’m sorry if there was a miscommunication and that the upgrade did not meet your expectations. We always strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and to improve when we do not, so thank you for letting us know.

Our FIAT partnership is meant to be an extra convenience for guests, and we currently have two vehicles in service offering complimentary rides from 11:30am to 6:45pm daily. It is a drop-off service for destinations within a 3-mile radius of the hotel which covers the majority of DC attractions and neighborhoods including the White House, the National Mall and monuments, Smithsonian Museums, Arlington Cemetery, Georgetown, Kennedy Center and more. For others considering this service, we do recommend making reservations in advance, if possible, as it continues to gain popularity with our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

San Dimas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We just stayed here 6 nights and though the hotel room was clean and comfortable, my family would not stay here again. Here are the Pros & Cons that we found for this hotel.

Pros: Clean Room, Comfortable Beds, Close to the White House & Subway
Cons: No Ice Machine (so we had to rent a refrigerator for $25 to have cold water), no Coffee Machine in the Room (because they want you to buy their Starbucks coffee downstairs), not the greatest room service (after 3 days without new shampoo/conditioner, we had to call and ask for it), and no customer service (none!)

When we approached the Concierge to ask about the Memorial Weekend festivities, she gave us a blank stare and it was obvious she didn't know. She was completely clueless. When we tried to use the Fiat for free transportation within the area, we were told it was booked for the next several hours. I said that the website states it is "first come, first serve" and she said yes exactly. I guess their definition of reservations is a little different than most.

When I go on vacation, I like to stay in a 4 star (or 5 star hotel if affordable) to feel pampered and taken care of while I'm away from home. This hotel did nothing to make me feel special, pampered, taken care of, or even welcomed.

These complaints may not matter to some of you and depending on the price, it might be the right hotel for you but I was disappointed and will try another property next time. Good luck.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear alominac,
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I appreciate that you found our property to have clean and comfortable rooms and a convenient location, close to the White House and three Metro lines. That said, I’m disappointed with some of the shortfalls you experienced.

Although we are newly renovated, our hotel is an older building that doesn’t accommodate guest floor ice machines. We are actively looking into options for self-service ice for our guests, and right now we have it available 24 hours a day through our front desk or room service. In regards to coffee offerings, we do have a Barista Bar in our lobby serving several Starbucks Coffee and beverage options. I sincerely apologize for the lapse in service by housekeeping. Please know, this is not our standard and toiletry items should be replenished daily upon usage. I have brought your concerns to our Director of Housekeeping to address them immediately.

Regarding our concierge, I am very surprised to read your comments as many of our guests let us know how the concierge helped them explore and enjoy DC, but I appreciate your feedback and have discussed it with the team.

Our FIAT service, offered daily 11:30am – 6:45pm, has quickly become popular with guests, and for that reason we recommend making a ride reservation in advance if possible. I’m sorry if there was any miscommunication, although in looking at our sites I am unable to find the statement you reference. However, I will continue working with my team to root out any misleading information. I truly apologize that your experience did not live up to your expectations. I do appreciate your time sharing your feedback so that we can ensure future guests do not have similar experiences.

Thank you again for your feedback.

San Ramon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Our room was nicely decorated, but fairly small. We appreciated that they had a safe in the room. The hotel location is pretty good, advertised as in the White House area, but about 0.6 mile from White House. It is about 4 blocks from the closest metro.
The hotel brags that they are a "four star" hotel, but definitely could a few improvements:
1. No vending machines. (You can buy a soda from a room temp cupboard in the room for $3.80, candy for $6, water for $7 plus tax, or alternatively, I was told, walk to CVS about 3 blocks away)
2. No ice machines (They claim bringing ice is a part of the 4 star service).
3. Extremely SQUEAKY room doors. We stayed there 6 nights and were woken up every morning by the horribly squeaky front door in the room adjacent to ours. The entire hotel could probably benefit by a little WD-40 sprayed on the room doors.
4. “Free” 2 mile radius Fiat driving service was not available even once when we needed it during out 6 day stay. The one time we thought it might work, the woman booking Fiat rides informed us she had made a mistake when we arrived at her desk (a little late), so instead we walked.
5. The hotel has no gift/supply shop. They recommended that I walk to CVS, about 3 blocks, to get bandages for the bleeding blisters on my feet (OUCH) .
6. No coffee machines in the rooms (possibly an attempt to make more money for the hotel, by forcing guests to buy coffee from room service?)
7. No brochures or maps are on display at the concierge desk. We had to wait to get any sort of information from the concierge, one of whom was so long winded, we were guaranteed a 10 minute wait if someone was in front of us.

Overall, nicely remodeled older hotel in decent location, however, offering guests the ability to do things themselves, having more amenities on hand, and using WD-40 on room doors would have earned this hotel a higher rating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lori D,
I’m glad you enjoyed your room’s décor and the in-room safes, as well as our central location. Depending on which Metro line you’re going to, we are 2.5 blocks to the Blue and Orange lines at McPherson Square, and about 4 blocks to the Red line.

We are always looking to improve our property, so we appreciate you taking time to voice your experiences. Regarding vending machines, we are in line with most four-star properties at which it is not standard to have them. Much like providing the ice, it is our standard to offer you service for food and beverage needs.

I’m surprised to hear your complaint about squeaky doors, and I’m truly sorry for the inconvenience and frustration of being awoken. We have not received this complaint from other guests in the hotel – I will message you privately to get your room number, and I will have our Director of Engineering look into it.

Our FIAT service is provided within a 3-mile radius of the hotel, which covers the majority of DC’s most popular sites. This free service has quickly become popular with guests, and so we recommend making a ride reservation in advance if possible. For needed or forgotten supplies, we do offer guests select sundries at our front desk. For coffee, we don’t have it in rooms – we have a Barista Bar in our lobby, open 6am to 2pm, serving several Starbucks Coffee and beverage options, and a few snacks.

Finally, I’m sorry for any inconvenience with waiting for concierge service. This personalized service offering is part of the reason many guests come back to us again and again, but I have taken your comments to my team to ensure we provide the most efficient, and friendly service possible.

Thank you for your comments.

Amarillo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

4 blocks from the Whitehouse. Within walking distance to lots of great restaurants. Easy to get a taxi. Employees are attentive. Bed is very comfortable. If you do order room service, just know that it is very expensive. For the room, I got a great price for 4 nights on Hotwire. I would not have stayed here if I had to pay hotel reservation price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Ckcfirst,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m excited you enjoyed our very convenient location in DC, four blocks to the White House as you reference, and that you got great value with your stay. We always want guests to leave us with a desire to return, and I’m happy our attentive employees, comfortable accommodations, location and easy transportation options all contributed to your positive impression! Thank you for choosing Loews Madison Hotel.

Cheraz Ecker, General Manager

Been to Loews Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!