“The "highs" at the Loews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Madison Hotel

You added Loews Madison Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Madison Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1177 Fifteenth Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #58 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Lee NJ
“The "highs" at the Loews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Not quite a year ago, we stayed at the Madison Hotel just before it was acquired by the Loews chain. We had loved our stay and reviewed it here. Two weeks ago, we returned for a long (four-night) weekend. Once again, this hotel merits our rave review.
I’ll boil down our reasons to four things: Service, ambiance, value and location.
Every member of the staff that we encountered was friendly and helpful. They looked you in the eye and spoke in a cheerful voice. They asked if there was anything else they could do for you. From the doormen to the front desk to the service staff on the floor (which coffee did we like and did we want additional packets?) The concierge was especially solicitous with good restaurant recommendations and she was able to make reservations that we would not have gotten. When we checked in (after midnight) just after unpacking, I sat on my side of the bed and it sank so far it almost folded!! The other side of the bed was solid but my side was obviously broken. We called downstairs and the bellman was right back up with another room key. Unfortunately, the alternate room was opposite the elevator which I never take. The bellman expressed no impatience. He just called down to get us yet another room and, when it turned out there were no other rooms of the same kind available, we were given a corner room, much larger and higher priced but they charged the lower room rate we had booked. We were not made to feel we had imposed. Indeed, the opposite. The next morning we related our story to the concierge not by way of complaint but to relate how well the issue had been handled. When we returned to our room that afternoon, we found a bottled of chilled champagne and chocolate strawberries with a lovely apologetic note from the concierge. In my memory, no other hotel ever has made us feel actually welcomed and treated as individuals.
This hotel is not one of the larger hotels. The lobby is not an expansive, glitzy, soaring atrium. It is refreshingly warm and somewhat European in feeling with softer lighting that suggests a living room rather than a train station. There is a piano bar at one end and tables for a meal. The rooms are decorated in federal style wallpaper and the furnishings are solid. The bathrooms, however, were fully modern.
There is no point to quote my exact room rate because, as we know, room rates vary for the same room based on the particular date and how far in advance one books the room. When we decided to spend a long weekend in Washington, I went to online sites that compare hotels and promise low rates. But my experience again and again is that one does better by calling the hotel directly and asking if there are promotions. Sure enough, the Madison reservations office gave the same low rate offered online but for a better room. I would have been pleased with the rate that we paid if we had been booking a hotel on the outskirts of the city through one of the larger national chains so I was delighted to get that kind of rate for a better room in a prime downtown hotel. It may be a small point but, basic WiFi was free (adequate for email and web surfing but there is a charge for a higher level of WiFi that allows for streaming movies). On the other hand, valet parking was $50 per day but unlimited in and out access to your car.
Although not close to a Metro station, the Madison is in the center of downtown (a few blocks north of the White House) and walking distance to the Penn Quarter neighborhood where many finer restaurants are located. There is a 24 hour CVS a block from the hotel. The National Geographic Museum is also just a block away.
Often, the hotel is the place to leave your bags and return to at the end of the day. Staying at the Madison was PART OF the Washington DC experience. It is an elegant yet comfortable home for the duration of the trip.
Did I mention that I enthusiastically recommend this well-run property?

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to get a better rate than the online reservation sites. Corner room are roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Barry W,

Wow, we are so excited and appreciative of your wonderful review! More than anything, it’s a joy to know you had a great time in Washington, D.C. and that Loews Madison Hotel was more than just a place to sleep – it was part of your experience. We’re on a mission to provide a supremely comfortable, unique and authentic experience for all our guests, and I am thrilled and humbled you recognize this. It’s true that we want every guest to be treated as an individual and receive personalized service while staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to detail the different positive aspects of our service, ambiance, value and location! Our staff works hard to offer the best service at every turn, so I will share with great pleasure your kind words about all of them, and particularly our concierge, doormen and bellmen. I am sorry you encountered an inconvenience with your room, but am very happy the staff resolved so quickly.

I’m so glad you enjoyed many aspects of our establishment, from the complimentary WiFi to our central location. For future stays, we wanted to let you know we are within three blocks of various Metro lines!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give this detailed feedback, and for choosing Loews Madison Hotel. We would absolutely be delighted to welcome you back for future stays, and hope that will be sooner than later!

Cheraz Ecker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Modern decor, cool vibe, nice rooms, great beds and linens. Good service, good food...not great. Would recommend. Trip advisor wants me to ramble to fill their 200 word requirement for reviews. Dumb, there is nothing more to say. The Madison is great. I probably wouldn't stay there and pay full price. Watch for it to go on sale by using the app Hotels Tonight. Seriously? 200 words? I captured it in one short and sweet paragraph and now all this fluff. Brevity Trip Advisor . . . Brevity.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear scubaswenson,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay with us for the TripAdvisor community. I’m happy you would recommend us and thought Loews Madison Hotel was great and hip! We appreciate all your comments as guest feedback is important to us evolving our establishment and providing the best experience possible. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison Hotel in DC.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I were having a little staycation in DC for our anniversary. We decided to stay at the Madison Hotel, because it was located right in the center of the city and we would be able to get many places quickly without having to pay a lot for a cab. When pulled up a gentlemen came out to the car to greet us and take our luggage. We walked to the front door and there was another gentleman that had the door already open for us. When we got to the front desk Sod, the front desk agent was very polite, quickly checked us in, and wished us a happy anniversary. Soon as we turned around the concierge, Innocent, greeted us and also wished us a happy anniversary. He walked us to the elevator and told us if there is anything that we need to call him immediately. We then went up to our room and there was a bottle of champagne, cookies, and a card wishing us a happy anniversary. Nice touch! The room was huge, the TV was on a swivel so you could see it from any angle, and we had a nice view of the Washington Monument from the balcony. On our way out to dinner, I heard a great Jazz band playing in the restaurant. They sounded very classy and smooth. I wish we could have stayed longer, but had to go to dinner. I definitely recommend staying at the The Loews Madison hotel .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LarryJLockhart,
Happy anniversary, and thank you for choosing Loews Madison for your special occasion! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share feedback about your staycation with us. I’m very happy you enjoyed your room and balcony with a view, and I’m delighted you experienced our team members providing great service at every turn. They work hard every day to ensure a welcoming, comfortable environment and personal experience for all our guests, and I appreciate you recognizing this. I’ll be sure to pass along your recognition of our bellman, front desk staff, and Innocent with concierge service – they are gems. Again, thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and I’m glad we could deliver a great stay for you and your wife. Since you’re local, perhaps you can come back to enjoy our jazz series which currently has performances each Friday and Saturday evening, 8-11 pm at PostScript. We would love to welcome you back for future stays.

Coppell, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Wonderful hotel that tastefully blends modern with classic style in the guest rooms. My bathroom did not have a bathtub, but did have an modern shower big enough for two (if so inclinded) Everything is clean and maintained well and appears to be recently renovated. Hotel staff (bell hops, front desk, operator) very friendly. Meeting room area very nice.

Hallways nice and clean. Bar area very pleasant with a live piano player then night I was at the hotel.

My only complaint, and it is by all means minor, is that the clock radio was not set to the right time in my room and I could never figure out how to get it reset to the right time.

The other observation to be aware of is that the rooms are stocked with several medium sized bottles of liquor available for purchase. I just ignored it, but if you have issues with liquor for religous or other reasons, just don't be surprised when you walk in the room.

So, in short, excellent place to stay while in Washington!

Room Tip: For a downtown hotel, such as this, try to get an upper floor to get away from traffic honking downs...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear BillfromTexas,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m delighted it was wonderful for you, from the décor and room appointments to the bar area at PostScript and our live, evening piano music. It’s great to know you found our team members to be very friendly, as they work hard each day to create a welcoming, comfortable environment. I’m sorry to hear about the challenge you encountered with the clock radio and do apologize for any inconvenience. We’re always happy to send a team member to help resolve things in situations like this, so please don’t hesitate to contact us for future stays.

Regarding the liquor stocked in rooms, thank you for your observation. We want to share the following information with the entire TripAdvisor community – at a guest’s specific request, we will be happy to remove alcohol if not desired in your room, so don’t hesitate to discuss this with us. Thank you again for choosing Loews Madison, and I hope we can welcome you back for a future, flawless stay the next time your travels bring you to DC.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Loew's Madison. Overall the hotel was clean. The drawbacks were the location isn't great if you are attending a function at the convention center. It is a considerable walk, especially if you are pregnant. The nearby restaurant selection is very sparse unless you want chain sandwich places. The hotel was nicely decorated but very cramped. Monuments and sights are walkable but it is about a mile + to anything. There is no pool if that is something consider when booking a hotel. One nice perk is there are K-cups in the rooms. The hotel staff was very nice but not overly helpful with dining suggestions or suggestions on shopping/ sight-seeing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear K2010M,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay with us. While I’m happy to hear you found the hotel clean and nicely decorated, and our staff very nice, I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations. Regarding location, while we are centrally situated within less than a mile of the Convention Center and White House, we also certainly understand and respect all of our guests have different travel preferences and places they’re trying to get to while staying with us. Comfort for our guests is a top priority. We want everyone to know we’re always more than happy to help arrange a cab or transportation for guests if that’s a preference or better option. We truly appreciate your feedback as we seek to improve our service and offerings, and I will use it with our staff to ensure we’re delivering supremely friendly and helpful service for every guest. I’m sorry this was not your experience. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Madison and earn your trust the next time your travels bring you to our nation’s capital. Thank you again for taking the time to share.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great experience recently at the Loews Madison in DC. Love the sophisticated decor and the room was great. Staff was super pleasant and helpful. Room was nicely appointed and clean. Food was really good and reasonably priced in the bar. Was there for business but hope to come back for a weekend stay with the family, since the hotel is in a great area and within walking distance from some great sights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear BarbCM952,
I’m so happy you love the Loews Madison Hotel! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on the site and with us. It’s wonderful that you enjoyed all facets of your stay. We would love to welcome you and family from Philly for fun, or for business, anytime your travels bring you to Washington, DC. Thank you very much for choosing Loews Madison.

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel was the first stop of 2 hotels on our DC trip. We were only here for one night (the next two nights were at the Ritz on M Street), but I would have just stayed here the whole time if I could! The location was great in that we could walk to the White House or take the Metro anywhere. The service here was great and every time we walked downstairs we were greeted. I loved the style of the hotel and the rooms were very spacious.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DSMDiner,
We are very appreciative you took the time to review your stay with us. I’m thrilled it was a wonderful experience, from our location to the rooms to the great service you experienced with our staff. They are a dedicated team and make supreme guest service a priority every day, and I will share your great feedback with them, including the specifics you mentioned about receiving a greeting each day! We would love to welcome you back for future stays with us anytime your travels bring you to DC. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison Hotel!