“Great hotel, a few kinks need to be worked out” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Madison Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews Madison Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Madison Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1177 Fifteenth Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Great hotel, a few kinks need to be worked out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

The Madison is a very lovely hotel in a perfect location, walking distance to great restaurants and under 2 miles away from the Mall and the Smithsonian museums. The door men are excellent, always greeting one pleasantly and welcoming one back to the hotel. Some are quite warm and personable in their demeanor too, which I appreciated. I wish I could say the same for the front desk. I never saw a smile and though they were efficient and professional, their attitudes were lackluster at best.

The lobby area is gorgeous and an area I normally dislike in hotels (the hallways on the room floors) were nicely done as well. The room was "cosy" and my husband loved the bed, finding it very comfortable. I found it very comfortable as well except for the noise from construction. This is my strongest complaint. I knew the hotel was in the process of renovating and took my chances booking, asking for a quiet room away from the floors under construction. I appreciate that any well-managed property must renovate from time to time and patrons benefit from these inconvenient and costly efforts but it is disappointing to have one's stay effected by it. One morning it was as if large drills and electric saws were being used right above my head. It definitely did not sound as though there was an entire floor between our room and the construction floor, which is what I was "promised". Maybe sound just travels far too well through the walls. It probably doesn't effect most of their visitors stays if they are there for business as my husband was but I was not and also became sick during our stay. I needed to stay in bed but was driven out of the room by the noise and actual shaking of the walls during the day.

I was also perturbed when one day I had forgotten to leave a tip and returned from my days activities and found that house-keeping had left dirty glasses in the room, not re-stocked the coffee area or all the towels. Basically, the bed was made and I had pretty much done that already. The next day I remembered to leave the tip and a nice note and found the room perfectly attended. I have found that it is better to leave a daily tip; it makes sure the person cleaning your room gets it the day they clean and it also seems to result in better service.

I use the fitness center in every hotel, whether I travel for work or pleasure and found the Madison's more than adequate. Full rack of free weights as well as nautilus machines, 3 treadmills, elliptical and stationary bike. A mini-fridge with chilled towels was provided along with newspapers and water.

We ordered room service one evening (apple pie a la mode and french fries) and found the service very nice and the prices reasonable. The apple pie was mostly pie, not so much apple, and the french fries had a seasoning that was delicious if a little too salty.

All in all, my husband really enjoyed his stay at the Madison and I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. If it weren't for the noise, I would definitely give it 4 stars.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

1,113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

First time staying at The Madison and we were blown away at the outstanding service we received. From the Manager all the way to the Doorman, the staff was friendly and service oriented. I haven't had that type of service attitude even at hotels that cost 5 times as much.
The room was fine with no complaints knowing the upcoming renovation will be a great asset and make the hotel and even better place to stay!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Generally caring staff and nice rooms and common areas. We stayed for five nights and enjoyed ourselves immensely. I would have gone to 5*s, but they missed my wake-up call on my day of departure and we almost missed our flight. I must add that the bell staff was extremely rude on check-out. I am not used to a bellman yelling at me at 6:30 AM because the cab that stopped in front of the hotel was not the one he hailed. Still, the overall experience was good, as it usually is at a Destination Resort property.

Room Tip: Check what floors are undergoing renovations as the construction seemed to start around 7 AM and we...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Pompano Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I was warmly greeted at about 9:00pm when I arrived. My bags were carried from my cab, the door opened for me, everyone was welcoming with big smiles. The staff was excellent - top notch service. My room was a little smelly - like it used to be a smoking room and they were not able to sufficiently remove the order. The bed was comfortable and the room was nicely appointed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Reasonably priced, considering the prime location. In walking distance of the white house, fairly close to metro stops. Walking distance to some good bars as well. Hotel was in very good shape, all staff were courteous and friendly. Rooms were a good size as well. Parking price was ridiculous($47/nt), but that's the case everywhere in DC.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011 via mobile

I've stayed at the Madison for years. Loved the staff, generous (for the city) sized rooms, and great location. Bar and restaurant were big pluses. Not so much anymore. Location, staff and rooms remain the same. Old bar is gone along with superb staff. New restaurant/bar lacks soul and professionalism. Still a good place if you don't have memories of what was, but order roast chicken from room service --- far better than anything in The Federalist.

• Stayed December 2011
Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Overall services were nice at The Madison during a business trip to Washington, DC, but I'd highlight specifically it's online custumers support, as they were very helpful when I had a bureaucratic problem and needed to reach the hotel administration many weeks after I left.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Loews Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!