“The Madison” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Madison Hotel

You added Loews Madison Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Madison Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1177 Fifteenth Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #55 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clarksville, Virginia
“The Madison”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Madison is an ideal base to check out DC. The White House is only three blocks away. The Verizon Center, shopping and museums are all within walking distance. The central location allowed us sight see more than we planned.

Early check-in was easy and friendly. The staff at the front desk were more then helpful with directions and suggestions for great places to eat. The doormen were helpful especially with umbrellas and shopping bags.

The beds, including sheets, were the most comfortable I have slept in. The Keurig coffeemaker was a nice touch. Room service was great including bringing ice and filling our small cooler.

I would highly recommend The Madison to anyone going to Washington DC, business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Madison as an overflow hotel for a conference. My friend broke her ankle at the conference and the staff at the Madison was unbelievably helpful. From the kind assistance of the bell staff to the offer of a shower in a handicapped accessible room, they could not have been nicer. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The hotel is well located and fairly nice. The staff is very nice but does not have their act together. I had a reservation for 3 days with a confirmation in hand. When I went to check in, I was told my reservation started the next day. I showed them confirmation.
Next issue. I was issued a key to room. My roommate showed up and she got a key. Problem - they re-keyed the locks. When I went to get into room, I couldn't. They kindly sent security with a key and again re-keyed and roommate was locked out. Definitely - a pain.
The room is large and quiet. The closet doors are too heavy, and difficult to move. The room security box is about 8 inches off the floor. This entailed getting down on knees to access safe. With bifocals, I couldn't read the directions very well at that angle.
Would I stay there again? I doubt it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Madison as the Hotel where the conference we were attending was booked. So glad we did.

At the other hotel I obtained an injury resulting in a fractured tibia. The staff at the Madison was so accommodating and helpful to me. From helping me from the taxis, to lending a wheelchair, to even allowing me to use a handicapped room to shower.

I found the staff not only friendly but happy to be of service.

The Madison is a boutique hotel, which prides itself on its service and taking care of their guests.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We really liked the madison, found it to be a friendly place. The room was clean and looked recently renovated. The free wine served Mon. - Thurs. in the lobby was a nice time to meet others and relax. I would stay here again. It was 3 blocks to the Metro and several good places to eat. We booked thru Hotwire and got an excellent rate for this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
TheMadison, Public Relations Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Thanks for your kind comments about The Madison. We appreciate the feedback. The wine hour is definitely a nice touch.

I just want to point out one new feature at The Madison that we recently added - Free WiFi in all guest rooms and public spaces. Come back and see us again and check out the Federalist, the newest restaurant in our neighborhood, right next to the hotel.

Warm regards,

Chris Gieckel
Director of Public Relations
The Madison
Edgewater, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

The furniture is tired, the lobby looks a bit tired, the waitstaff in the bar/restaurant seem like they'd rather be somewhere else. Not sure what the renovated rooms are like, our room seemed to have new-ish furniture, but the carpet looked like it had seen better days. Our bed was broken, and we had to have them fix it. The restaurant, The Federalist, is in final stages of construction during our stay, and it looks like it will be pretty fun, and then maybe The Madison will be able to decide if it wants to look like a traditional-style DC hotel or become a hipper version of itself, because right now, it's trying to figure this out. Restaurant/bar is overpriced, parking your car here is uber-expensive. The air seems dusty and even a bit mildewy. Some of the rooms on the 15th floor have great balconies, although the outdoor furnishings are sparse and scattered. The best thing about this hotel is its proximity to the sites of DC, but we'll stay elsewhere next time we come to Our Nation's Capital.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms with "interior courtyard" view. If you must stay here, spend a bit more f...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
TheMadison, Public Relations Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thanks for your response, both positive and negative, we really appreciate the feedback that we are getting. It let's us know what we are doing right and in some cases wrong.

Things are definitely changing at the Madison. We understand that some of the rooms look tired and we are working to rectify those as soon as possible. The Madison will soon undergo renovations in phases. A complete makeoever of our guestrooms are in order. You can take a sneak peek on our website at the bottom of the page as to what they are going to look like. Obviously it's a complete change from what the hotel is now.

PostScript, our lobby restaurant will also be closing for a few months while we renovate the area. Prices and menus are being evaluated and will likely change, for the benefit of the guest. All staff will undergo new training and I can assure you that we will be better in the service department once we re-open the restaurant.

Thanks for mentioning the Federalist, our new restaurant. We are really excited for the opening come the end of October and the menu is very approachable. For the 15th floor rooms, yes the outer ring of rooms do have large terraces and will be improved once we commence renovations too.

As for parking, I can only say that we are average in terms of pricepoint throughout the city. In our neighborhood, most hotels within a few blocks radius actually charge $45 or more for overnight parking. I know you already commented that you would look elsewhere for your next visit to DC but I encourage you to give the Madison another go, I'm certain that we can redeem ourselves with a refreshed look, quality service and better restaurant options.

Chris Gieckel
Director of Public Relations
The Madison
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Spent four days sight seeing with my 11 year old daughter. What a great time we had and the Madison was a big part of that. The staff was so accommodating and helpful. Hard to believe they are heading into a full renovation - the hotel is beautiful and location was great. Easy to walk, use metro or rent bikes to get about anywhere. Can't wait to return and see the finished product. Restaurant was out of service due to constructIon but Meals were served in bar and through room service. No problem with construction noise. I purchase through priceline at a great rate and feared we may not be taken care of as well as higher paying customers, but I was so wrong. Staff went out of their way to make our stay terrific.

Room Tip: Ask for outside room, not inner that look into alley
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Loews Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!