“Lovely Hotel despite picketers!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Madison Hotel

You added Loews Madison Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Madison Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1177 Fifteenth Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$50 Nightly Credit
Ranked #55 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Woodbury, MN
“Lovely Hotel despite picketers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

I recently stayed at The Madison with my husband and children (8 and 13 years). I made a reservation through SniqueAway to receive a reduced rate. When I made the reservation, I was not told of the labor dispute taking place at the hotel. They did not inform me about this afterwards either. This was the fault of SniqueAway, not The Madison.

When I called the night before check-in to confirm the reservation, I was told by a very nice employee (Adam) about the picketers. He let me know what we would be encountering upon arrival. This was very helpful, as we were able to prepare our children. It was a little disturbing to be heckled as we checked in, but the employees of the hotel more than make up for any inconveniences. Adam also told us that he would put us in a room at the back of the hotel so we would not hear the picketers.

The employee who checked us in was VERY helpful. (I think his name was Bill?) He not only let us check in early, he made sure we were in a room away from the street. He also let me know that the picketers circle the building when they arrive at 7 a.m. I was awakened each morning by the bullhorns and shouting, but they only stayed on the backside of the building for about 10 minutes. After that I was able to go back to sleep. Fortunately my children were able to sleep through this unscheduled wake-up call!

Also, important to know: there is a second entrance to the hotel through the office building next door. There are no picketers at this door. We chose to enter and exit through this door, so we only had to cross the line when we checked in and checked out.

The room we stayed in was nice size for a big city hotel room. It had 2 queen beds, a high-def tv and fairly large bathroom. The room was very clean and only showed slight signs of age. The gentleman who showed us to our room told me that I was able to use the mini-bar to store our personal food items. It was nice to be able to throw a bottle of water in the fridge and store a bottle of jelly for pb&j's. I was happy for the permission to use the fridge.

The Madison is in a great location. The metro station is just a few blocks down the street. There is a Caribou Coffee across the street and a Corner Bakery a couple of blocks away.

Despite the picketers, we had a wonderful stay at The Madison. The employees are going out of their way to be welcoming and helpful to the guests. I hope the labor dispute ends soon, so this lovely hotel can return to the peaceful oasis I am sure it was before the change in management.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

The picket line out front is annoying, but hotel staff are very accommodating in response. At arrival (by cab), doormen quickly shielded us and got us in the hotel very comfortably. Staff were very nice and cheerfully and rapidly helped with small requests. I was up and out before the 7 AM wake-up calls. Facilities are very nice. The strike might offer an opportunity for bargain hunters.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Employees have been protesting outside the entrance using megaphones and drums 7-7 every day for a month. There is a union dispute and there is no clear end to the conflict. The remaining staff are bending over backwards to compensate for their disruption. Use you discretion. Call to ask before booking your stay.

• Stayed March 2011
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

The hotel was nice, and the staff was very accommodating. The issue I had was the picket line that was VERY loud and annoying in front of the hotel. The members of the picket line heckled us as we got out of our rental car, making me feel a bit uncomfortable as I was about to check in. Came to find out they had been doing this for 5 weeks... I'd recommend staying at another hotel rather than put up with their continued loud chants.

• Stayed March 2011
Long Island NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

went presidents week with the kids. Not knowing you cant change a reservation from priceline, but thats another story. We pricelined this hotel for a cheap price, finding out the place is on strike. We figured how bad could it be? Well not that bad. Except for the strike outside, the hotel was clean , the location was great, and the staff was very acomadating.All inn all it wasnt that bad.Could of been worse.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Labor dispute has picket lines greeting you outside front door and bullhorns announcements aimed at guests carries to 8th floor.

Apparently the new management who took over from Loews doesn't want to negotiate with labor union.

If the union was the reason management couldn't deliver exceptional and consistent service over the last two years including half a dozen visits, then I support management.

Front desk staff couldn't explain the picket line upon check-in. Raises concerns that new management may not be able deliver the experience worthy of the rates.

• Stayed February 2011
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

There are protesters greeting you at the door currently at the hotel. New management laid people off and they are outside 12hrs/daily screaming at hotel guests. It is very unpleasant.
Go across the street to the Sofitel.
I have stayed here in the past and have LOVED it. A horrific situation...not only for guests but for folks who have lost their jobs in this awful economy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Loews Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!