“I had a good time in this place” 4 of 5 stars

The Latham Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 M St NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Georgetown)   |
Ranked #116 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
“I had a good time in this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My room was clean and comfortably sized. A few things were off like a small leak in the sink and a worn chair, but those did not affect my overall trip. The bed and pillows were comfortable and clean, the free wifi was really fast and easy to access. I tried the room service once, and portions were massive. The bathroom was a very comfortable size and the hot shower was amazing. Admitedly, I was outdoors more than in, but I would definitely stay in that particular room again.

Room Tip: my room was on the 7th flooir, so I'd recommend getting one of those
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Henderson, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

After reading many of the less-than-favorable reviews on this hotel, I was quite apprehensive. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised once I got there. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was older with several dated features, but for me, the location was well worth it; my boyfriend and I either took the Circulator bus or walked to many of the sites we wanted to see.

If you're looking for a "posh" hotel to stay at while in DC, this may not be the place for you. If you're looking for a decent place with friendly staff, a clean room, which is conveniently located... give this place a try!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Oyster Bay, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Although the Latham is located right in the heart of Georgetown, so it's easy to walk to all of the restaurants and shops, the room was tiny, the air conditioning unit was noisy, and one of the two elevators was not working. The pillows were hard and the bed uncomfortable.

However, the restaurant in the Latham is lovely. I had a wonderful lobster burger with a glass of chardonnay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Michael D, General Manager at The Latham Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
I’m sorry our room did not meet your expectations but was glad to hear that Michel Richard was able to provide a great lobster burger and chardonnay. In the future, please visit one of our Carriage Suites if you are looking for a larger accommodation. They are located on the 6th floor and offer a two floor plan and will provide the space you require. Our location is fantastic and given we are the only hotel in Georgetown with a pool……..You should give the larger room a chance given your next visit.

Thank you for sharing!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was overwhelmingly disappointed by this hotel from the moment I got there. Let me just get this out of the way now - yes, the location is great and they have an almost-decent rooftop pool, but the hotel SUCKS.

Bad Service, dark rooms with no windows, tiny bathrooms, poor security.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fremont, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

This is a long review.

We purchased the room thru Priceline for 2 nights. When we checked in, the room wasn't ready and the front desk staff was rude and unprofessional. The worst was that she told us our room was on the 3rd floor but did not disclose that street level was 4th floor so our room was really on the underground level with no outside windows. The hotel made an inside area into a false European village with painted blue skies and floating clouds and put some "windows" on the rooms facing the "village" hotel hallways. Windows that cannot get fresh air or sun light! The room was big but since it's underground, there was a somewhat musty smell to it. I asked to get a different room and the staff said I had to pay more to get one but I was not allowed to check it out first since the rooms were being cleaned (company policy) and it would take a while. We were tired from our travel and just wanted to rest so we just accepted the room. That was a mistake.

The AC in the room was just like the title of that movie, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Think of a vacuum cleaner going on and off 5 ft from your bed every few minutes. We tried to switch it from "auto" to "on" thinking it might fool our brains that it would be just white noise. Didn't work. Woke up so many times at night. The TV was a very small old "tube" unit with no CC. The cable stopped working in the evening (for the entire hotel we were told) and all that was available were the movie previews. An in-room movie would cost $16.95 + tax, which was given to us free (although they tried to bill us for it). The walls of the room felt very flimsy and the sagging door stuck badly. A screw which fastened the toilet paper roll to the wall came out on the other side of the wall under the sink where a young child could put her fingers on. Most furnishings felt cheap and run-down. The desk chair was one of those you would find at a cheap restaurant. The hot water took a long time to heat up for the sink and the bathroom was tiny. There are gaps around the door and window curtains so there was a lot of light seeping thru the gaps.

After a night of torture, we woke up at 5am and called the front desk asking to switch the room and was told we would have the room by noon. We went back to ask before leaving for some sightseeing in the morning. Unfortunately we ran into the same rude front desk person. She basically denied our request and said the AC units in the entire hotel made the same loud noises. We couldn't believe our ears. I could tell my husband was about to lose it; that's when she said she would send in a technician to fix it. She said it would be pointless to give us a new room with the same problem. We accepted. When we came back, again she insisted the noise was normal and all the rooms had the same noise level. But she did reserve another room and let us check it out. The room was on the 5th floor with outside windows and the AC, though somewhat loud, did not make the same extremely loud noises and didn't go on as frequently.

This room was much smaller and the chairs in the room were very worn and dirty looking. The shower leaked. The glass shelf in the bathroom cracked. The sink stopper had to be propped up by a fork. The carpet looked questionable. But we stopped caring. The room overlooked the delivery entrance of the hotel with a dumpster. The noisy deliveries and trash collection started at 8am and woke us all up but least we got more sleep than the night before.

The hotel was very old and tired. The carpet was very worn. I used the business center briefly but there was a very strong odor that drove me out after a short time.

During our stay we did meet some other helpful staff members. At least they were not rude and did want to help. The only other good things were the free wifi and a convenient location.

I would never stay at this hotel again. It was a terrible experience. The management needs to shoulder much of the blame for not training their staff and for not properly maintaining the hotel. It's especially shameful for the owner of the hotel to not invest in the renovations, leaving the hotel in such a state of disgrace.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Latham for our anniversary. We were pleased with the experience. We loved the ambiance, the roof top pool was a unique touch, our bed was wonderful, very comfortable and luxuriant. We didn't eat at the restaurant but there is a bistro next door that was awesome and extremely good prices. Location is hard to beat if you want to explore downtown Georgetown. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at The Latham Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Latham Hotel and celebrating your lovely anniversary with us. I have to agree, the location is the best in the DC and if you’re looking for a pool. The Latham is the only hotel in Georgetown to offer that amenity.

We wish you safe travels and hope to see you back for your next anniversary……….If not sooner!

Enjoy!
Swansea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I just returned from my 25th class reunion from Georgetown University. I decided to stay at The Latham because of its proximity to campus, but what I did not expect was how exceptional the service was. From the moment I checked in (early, I might add, and my room was ready!) to the morning I checked out, the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Although the room was small, it was perfect for me. It was clean, made up by 12noon each day, with a hot and powerful shower. I enjoyed the in-room coffee maker and the iron and ironing board came in handy. I enjoyed a lovely breakfast one morning with a cooked-to-order omelet that was delicious. It was the perfect location for me to get to campus without spending a fortune on taxis. The hotel could definitely use some touching-up, the elevators are a bit banged-up and I had an old TV with the large box behind, but everything worked and I actually purchased a movie one night. I would definitely book again as I was very pleased with my stay. Staff contacted me periodically to ensure that I was satisfied with everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of M street if possible. If you have a large family, book a suite as my...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo