“Very nice hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

The Latham Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 M St NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Georgetown)   |
Ranked #116 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
“Very nice hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Latham for our anniversary. We were pleased with the experience. We loved the ambiance, the roof top pool was a unique touch, our bed was wonderful, very comfortable and luxuriant. We didn't eat at the restaurant but there is a bistro next door that was awesome and extremely good prices. Location is hard to beat if you want to explore downtown Georgetown. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at The Latham Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Latham Hotel and celebrating your lovely anniversary with us. I have to agree, the location is the best in the DC and if you’re looking for a pool. The Latham is the only hotel in Georgetown to offer that amenity.

We wish you safe travels and hope to see you back for your next anniversary……….If not sooner!

Enjoy!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Swansea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I just returned from my 25th class reunion from Georgetown University. I decided to stay at The Latham because of its proximity to campus, but what I did not expect was how exceptional the service was. From the moment I checked in (early, I might add, and my room was ready!) to the morning I checked out, the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Although the room was small, it was perfect for me. It was clean, made up by 12noon each day, with a hot and powerful shower. I enjoyed the in-room coffee maker and the iron and ironing board came in handy. I enjoyed a lovely breakfast one morning with a cooked-to-order omelet that was delicious. It was the perfect location for me to get to campus without spending a fortune on taxis. The hotel could definitely use some touching-up, the elevators are a bit banged-up and I had an old TV with the large box behind, but everything worked and I actually purchased a movie one night. I would definitely book again as I was very pleased with my stay. Staff contacted me periodically to ensure that I was satisfied with everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of M street if possible. If you have a large family, book a suite as my...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

I liked the feel of this place, free wifi, the location is superb and staff very helpful but:

- breakfast is woeful. Come on, the restaurant where it's served has great food at other times of the day (if very expensive) but breakfast is not worth of a motel.

- hot water very hit and miss and hard to regulate temperature (when there is *any* hot water)

- room was tiny and badly in need of a refurb. Very 1970s and not in a good way. Same goes for bathroom

- terrible street noise in the room at night. Inadequate windows.

- woeful air con system

- they tried to charge me 2 nights' parking when I arrived by taxi... Got the impression this was a bit of a regular scam...

- service in restaurant one evening was abysmal. Waiter volunteered my bottle of wine FOC, he knew things weren't right. Waited over an hour for my main course.

Overall, feel I'd like to give a higher rating as I did like the place, but too many negatives. That breakfast was the biggest one, though.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel because it's convenient to Georgetown University, and we were attending our daughter's commencement (2012). The hotel looks fine from the outside, and the lobby is small but reasonably welcoming. Then you get to your room . . .

The rooms are very small, even by New York or London standards. We had booked a standard room - and were charged $1400 for 4 nights. The bed was a double - we haven't slept two to a double since the early days of our marriage, and that was some three decades ago! The bathroom was tiny, with a bath and toilet in one very small room (sorry about this next bit - so tiny that when I sat on the toilet, my legs touched the tub and wall), and the sink in the main room.

I could tolerate a tiny room - we weren't there for the room after all, but I did find the price/value equation out of kilter.

What could I not tolerate? The fact that our room keys never worked more than once, requiring us to take a very slow (hydraulic) elevator back to the front desk each time we wanted nothing more than to get into our room. After a few days of this, interspersed with promises to fix the problem, the maintenance man spent a half hour in the room trying to fix the lock, unsuccessfully. At that point, we did become a bit irate with the front desk. Our complaints were met with suggestions that we were moving the card key in and out too quickly, or, one case, with the suggestion that perhaps we didn't know how to use a card key. Blaming the victim is a time honored tradition, but not usually adopted by hotels with the pretensions of the Latham. My wife, who is far easier to get along with than I am, was treated rudely and condescendingly by more than one front desk person, and finally refused to deal with them any further.

To go on, we had one son staying with us, and asked for a roll-away bed on the Friday night. It never shoed up, and he slept on the couch. On the second night of his stay with us, and our second request, we did get a roll-away bed. At which point, of course, you could barely move in our room.

We also had an "old fashioned" tv in our room - a 19 or 20 inch clunker, the size of which I haven't seen in years. Perhaps not surprisingly, given its obvious age, the tv didn't work either!

Frankly, there is no real reason to stay at the Latham. If you want to visit Georgetown University, or Georgetown generally, you will likely still want to take a cab on hot, muggy, Washington days, and if you're in a cab, there are far better hotels you can stay in. Even if you insist on walking, there is a Marriott (if memory serves) just across the Potomac, which adds about 3 blocks to your walk. There really is no reason to stay here, be gouged, and treated as if you were a half-wit by the staff.

Having said that, perhaps it is a fair assumption that you are a half-wit if you stay here and pay the prices they charge for the facilities and services they provide.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

I checked in at this hotel at 1.30pm, the room wasn't ready yet so I decided to go into the city and come back later to get to my room. At 5pm, after I picked up the keys and walked into my room, I found out there is not 1 single window and no other way to get fresh air in there. Therefore I decided to ask the staff at the Reception to switch me to another room. The front desk agent keeps on telling me there's no other rooms available, while new guests keep checking in! One of his co-workers mentioned that this is just the type of room you get when you book through booking.com. I've only been one hour in this hotel but its already clear to me that this place isn't worth the money at all and I would NEVER, EVER recommend it to anyone. If they just mentioned at the making of the reservation there's no windows in the room, I should've taken another hotel. I hope they'll still come up with a good solution.

• Stayed May 2012
Michael D, General Manager at The Latham Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
I am sorry to hear you did not care for our Village Room’s. While many of our regular guests love the fact they are set way from the hustle and bustle of our busy hotel. I can understand the want to be in the mix of all excitement The Latham offers. My staff would have been happy to move you but given our sold out situation that was just not possible but in the future please try one of our Carriage Suites on the sixth floor. They are spacious and offer window to GREAT views of Georgetown.

Thank you for sharing your stay with me.
Ramat Hasharon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed at the Latham after a week at the AKA White House for some R & R with my elderly mother who came down from Philadelphia. As has been noted the rooms could use an update but the location and the service as well as the lovely amenities made it all worthwhile. I believe the drink at the bar made up of gin and lavendar made my stay in Washington. After a week without a desk or an extra chair in the room, my room was large and convenient in every way. Thank you Latham for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: 807! but no view of the river which I understand you have from the other side.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Michael D, General Manager at The Latham Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Nice to hear you had a relaxing weekend and that my staff took care of your every need! I do have to agree……That “drink” would keep me coming back too.

Safe travels and I hope you decide to visit soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The Latham Hotel is in a great location in Georgetown and has one of best restaurants, Citronelle.

The lobby is in good shape but that is all that has stayed up to par. This used to be a great place to stay but now is in need of big renovation.
I had a one bed king room. The room was tiny, the carpet was worn out and dusty, the lounge chair was torn, and there was water damage in the ceiling.
I usually do not care about the TV but there was an old small TV on the cabinet. The room smelled of over used room freshener and dampness.
The bathroom was in a little better shape, except the showerhead looked like they picked it up at a bargin basement dollar store and would not adjust. the AC was either too much or not enough and very loud if kept on during the night.
There was no one to help me with my bags since the cab has to drop at the curb. And it was not easy to get someone to help me get a cab when i left the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Latham Hotel? Share your experiences!