“A gorgeous boutique hotel with all the the luxury touches” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jefferson, Washington DC

You added The Jefferson, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Jefferson, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 16th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Special Price
15% off Suites Mid Week
Ranked #1 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“A gorgeous boutique hotel with all the the luxury touches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel was ideally located near to all the tourist sites. Only 5 minutes walk from The White House and 5 minutes taxi ride from the main strip of restaurants on 14th Street.

We had a wonderful stay in the hotel - the rooms were great - not enormous but beautifully designed and decorated with a huge bathroom. All the amenities one needs. The bar was nice and moody and served great light bites, whereas the main restaurant was more formal offering fine dining in the evening and delicious breakfast in the morning.

I love this hotel even more as they have a newly rescued 'hotel' dog - a gorgeous little Beagle called Monti who came to say hi to us, being dog lovers. The attention to details was excellent too. I mentioned when booking, that it was my husband's birthday and they brought a plate of cupcakes to our room with a birthday card.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Pease Pottage
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Thoroughly enjoyed our recent 4 night stay in this historic hotel. The room was well appointed with a comfy bed, walk in wardrobe, ipod dock, cosy bathrobes/slippers and complimentary water although the bathroom could be improved - shower pressure not great and only place to hang bath towels made getting in and out of the shower difficult and covered up the light switches. Turndown service was very nice.

Great location - 10 min walk to the White House, 20 minutes to the Mall. In the evening they offer a complimentary town car to drop you off anywhere in a 5 mile radius (great if dining in Georgetown for instance).

The service from all staff was fantastic and genuinely friendly. Concierge were very helpful in restaurant recommendations/booking and can arrange tours.

The meal in Plume was fantastic and highly recommend - the ambience and service was excellent.

They have a lively bar which was very nice although often quite busy and sometimes struggled to get a seat. They have a room next door to the bar (book room/library) which is reserved for hotel guests only although they do use for private functions and it can be a little TOO quiet. As the bar is clearly popular with non residents it would probably be worth extending the size of the bar to accommodate more people.

We would have liked to try the spa although we felt the costs were too high. I'm sure it would be nice though if aligned to the rest of the hotel.

Would highly recommend.

Just a note on Washington for leisure visitors and no reflection on the hotel; DC is going through a number of re-developments currently which you should bear in mind when timing your visit and to manage expectations. We appreciate we were slightly off season but the following developments were in progress during our stay;

- Capitol building dome covered in scaffolding (known before our visit)
- Dome inside the Capitol building also mainly covered up
- Reflection pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial was drained
- Mall being dug up to add more drainage and re-turfed
- Natural History Museum main dinosaur hall closed for redevelopment
- American History Museum - whole wing (3 floors closed for re development)
- Crane close to the White House (which impacts any photos from the Ellipse side)
- Art Museum (close to White House) closed for redevelopment

Saying all of this there is still plenty to see and do and although a smidge disappointed it didn't impact our trip.

As well as eating in Plume we would highly recommend Corduroy restaurant and Martin's Tavern in George Town.

Great trip - fantastic hotel (we will return...in a few years time when all the DC improvements are done!!).

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear MarkPP,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay, and that you were able to experience our dining outlets, as well as our Book Room and complimentary house car service. Additionally, I appreciate you letting us know about the small issue you had with the water pressure in your shower, I will be sure to follow up with our Engineering team to look into this.

I do hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to DC!

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stay in lots of hotels. Until now, I had not found a single one in DC that I really liked. Believe me when I tell you that this hotel is alone in its class for excellence in customer service and product. Seriously excellent.

There is nothing that will disappoint you. Instead, you will be amazed and pleased. The hotel is sparkling clean, from top to bottom, at all times. Every moment you are there, every staff member is professional, friendly, competent and eager to assist. The bartender in The Quill, Frank, will remember on Thursday what you drank on Tuesday. Room service is exactly on time, every time, and the food is truly excellent. Housekeeping is discreet and impeccable. The beds and linens are excellent and nothing will disturb your sleep. The folks here have the amazing ability to make you feel like they are there for you, not vice-versa like most other places.

This is one of those places where you want to try everything they have to offer, because they do everything so well. You could not be unhappy here if you tried.

I am just so pleased that there actually still is a place like this, that values the customer and takes pride in doing its job very well. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear 0567cg,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay. It is so nice to hear that you recognize how much we value each and every guest, something that we truly pride ourselves on. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our staff, especially to Frank and our Room Service and Housekeeping teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Can I start by saying "WOW"!!!

This is one of the best hotels we have EVER stayed at! We have stayed at Four Seasons, Baglioni (Europe), Ritz Carlton, Rosewood, Banyan Tree just to name a few. They could ALL take some tips from the Jefferson in DC! I so wish this hotel were a chain. This is what those others USED to offer.

SERVICE: It's all about the service here but there is so much more! Everyone is super friendly, kind and very helpful in a first class sort of way. Housekeeping is spot on - they must have some signal from rooms because they were amazing! Not one phone call from the hotel. Banyan Tree loooooves to call the room and bug you to death. NOT here. No housekeeping carts, no sight of service personnel, it just gets done and very well. Wait staff is over the top wonderful at the Greenhouse and Quill. NEVER once had an issue getting into a restaurant here like we did at Banyan Tree. Front Desk staff was also phenomenal. Always had either coffee or hot tea bar awaiting in the lobby any time of day.

ROOMS: We were in a deluxe suite with our teen son and it was gorgeous! Ample room, top of the top of the line faucets, fixtures, furniture and details. Even a welcome snack that was delicious. The frosted glass water bottles are the best! We had never been treated to such luxury even at places that cost more. What an awesome idea to refill glass bottles for free water. Exquisite linens, towels and all the modern conveniences that can go in a high caliber room are here.

DINING: Some of the best we've had anywhere, the food was divine, the presentation phenomenal and there was nothing we requested that wasn't met with pleasure. Every morning, there is a coffee bar with muffins free of charge, very impressive and delicious.

LOCATION: Very well located close to all tourist attractions and restaurants. Just a short Uber or cab drive to Georgetown.

WIFI: VERY good connectivity and no hassle in connecting. Oh and it was free, no charge nonsense.

SUMMARY: I told the front desk staff that I noticed I was NEVER told "no" at this divine place and that it would be my only place to stay in DC. I wish there was more "Jeffersons" out there. Some of the so called "elite" hotel chains are a let down these days.

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite if you can spring for it. I would stay here regardless of room though. Hotel is that...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Travelingchick7,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review of your recent stay at The Jefferson. I was so pleased to read that you were treated to friendly and helpful service from our staff and that you had the opportunity to dine in our outlets.

I do hope that should your travels bring you back to Washington, DC we can welcome you back!

Dbueno@jeffersondc.com
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Jefferson is now our favorite DC hotel, after a brief lovely visit. We chose it for its proximity to the museum we came to visit, but we will return because of the generous hospitality of the staff, the lovely room, the historical decor, and the wonderful restaurant. The rooms are a bit small, compared to modern chains, but we found them comfortably cozy. The shower, in contrast, was the largest we have ever seen, and my wife is still talking about it and the behind-the-mirror LED TV. A highlight of our visit was the chance to meet Monti, the hotel's rescue beagle. It goes without saying that the Jefferson is pet friendly.

Dear John A.,

I was so pleased to read that you had a lovely visit to The Jefferson and that you got the chance to meet Monti, our Executive Canine Officer!

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Clinton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The Jefferson is exactly what I suspected! It was charming, the service was incredible, food was exquisite and the historic feel of the property rounded it all out. The room we stayed in was comfortable, best hotel bed i have ever experienced! The location was perfect, right near DuPont circle and a couple blocks from Lafayette Park/White House. Walking distance to all the historic attractions.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear 573KenS,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay, and that our rooms, level of service and location were to your liking. I hope that we have the chance to welcome you back the next time you visit DC.

Dbueno@jeffersondc.com
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed at The Jefferson for a week in March. We were in an Executive King, and felt the room was spacious enough. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the pillows and blankets were luxurious. The bathroom is well appointed with a great shower that is very quiet - you can not hear it from the bedroom. Toiletries are very nice (my only complaint is that they have light grey writing on a dark grey background which is hard to read!). The TV behind the mirror is a great touch as well. The room was extremely quiet overall - minimal street noise, and almost no hallway noises.

The housekeeping staff is excellent and unobtrusive. They stock the minibar, and keep the room well stocked with multiple beautiful, heavy, glass bottles of water, which we appreciated. There is a button by the door that can be pressed to indicate when you want to be left alone, and when you want the room made up. There is complementary shoe shine, a room safe at eye level, adequate hangers in the closet, nice pens and stationary, and adequate clothing storage.

Wifi was free - but acted strangely at times. We had two iphones and two ipads - and I suspect it was disconnecting one of them if we tried to have more than two or three connect. I had lots of issues of having to re-log in with our name and room number with each device multiple times per day.

The location of the hotel is great. We were able to walk to dinner every night - and found amazing restaurants all within 8 blocks, including Restaurant Nora, Joe's Seafood Crab and Prime Steak, DC Coast, Rasika West End, Kapnos, Founding Farmers and Catch 15. I recommend them all!

The staff is helpful and friendly. Cliff, the concierge was great as were the front desk staff and bell staff. Cabs were plentiful and easy to get from the front door. We ate at The Greenhouse twice and had very nice meals.

Our only complaint was that the HVAC system alternately blew hot and cold air at our heads while in bed - but we figured out how to turn the system off, and the ambient temperature of the building kept our room at a nice level. We also found, that in our closet we could smell whatever they were cooking in the kitchen at that time! Interesting - but not a real problem.

All in all, a great place to stay. I'd like to give it six stars!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear TravelinJabbo,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay. I am so glad to hear that our location and amenities were to your liking, and that your room was quiet and relaxing. I appreciate you letting us know about the small issues you had with your wireless and the HVAC, I will be sure to follow up with our IT department as well as Engineering to look into these issues and will also pass on your compliments to our staff, especially to Cliff and to our housekeeping team.

I hope that we can welcome you back the next time you are in town!

dbueno@jeffersondc.com

Been to The Jefferson, Washington DC? Share your experiences!