“WE'RE HOOKED” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jefferson, Washington DC

You added The Jefferson, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Jefferson, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 16th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Special Price
15% off Suites Mid Week
Ranked #1 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
los angeles
“WE'RE HOOKED”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed last year for 4 nights, this year for 5 and I have to say, this is our favorite hotel in the world. I wish I could just live here forever. The plant is gorgeous with lovely common areas, 2 great places to eat and the comfiest room I've experienced since, well, the womb.

The best part though is the staff, people who are truly a cut above in terms of professionalism and kindness--they are absolutely genuine, a trait that you can't train. In particular, I must single out concierge Cliff with his spot on recommendations as well as bar staff Rachel and Anue who made me feel like I was the English ambassador. Thank you, Jefferson. P.S.---can't forget to mention the brilliant Peter Robinson who plays piano and sings 5 nights a week in The Quill lounge.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear KathrynandTim,

The womb, wow, thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to post about your recent stay at The Jefferson and for your kind words about many of our staff members; I will be sure to pass your praise along to everyone.

I do hope that should you find yourselves back on the east coast you will stay with us again!

dbueno@jeffersondc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last 3 years and have found it to be consistently top notch. The common areas feel elegant and intimate at the same time. The staff are gracious and helpful without being intrusive. The rooms, while not huge, are big by DC standards and are well appointed (although a few more outlets by the desk would be nice). I have not eaten at the restaurant here but have had food from it set up for our meetings and have been consistently impressed with its quality. I love all the small touches, from hot apple cider available in the lobby during the winter, to complimentary shortbread cookies in the room, to the library meeting room (a great place to hang out), to the beautiful glass barrel ceiling just off the lobby. This hotel is definitely my fave in DC. While other hotels in DC have things to commend them (like the Hay Adams roof balcony with its perfect view of the White House) the only other hotel in DC that feels as luxurious as this one (but not as intimate due to its size) is the Four Seasons in Georgetown.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Weloveroadtripping,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at The Jefferson. I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed many of our complimentary amenities while you were here! I also appreciate your feedback regarding how we can improve our rooms and hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Have a great holiday season,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I are from Australia and we travelled across Canada and the USA for our honeymoon recently. The Jefferson was in a fantastic location only a short walk from The White House, the Australian Embassy (which we didn't need but were comforted by all the same) and to a Whole Foods so we could grab snacks, drinks or lunches with ease. I'd learnt the lesson that hotels rarely hold up to the photos they show of rooms, or that they're as spacious as they appear online. What I can say with certainty is that our suite was immaculate. I don't mean quite tidy and I don't mean family are about to visit, I mean immaculate. We were also treated to lovely champagne, chocolate strawberries and rose petals in our suite because staff knew it to be our honeymoon. We were not expecting a lot from the last stop in our trip, but were delightfully suprised at how wonderful The Jefferson and its staff were, which really did put us in the best frame of mind before we went out to explore the city. The Jefferson eclipsed all other "5 star" accommodation we had encountered along the way. I could go on and on but suffice to say, if we ever visit D.C. again in the future we won't bother with looking around at other options, we'll only return to The Jefferson.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Grant R.,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! I am so glad you chose to spend part of your honeymoon with us at The Jefferson and that you received wonderful service from our staff.
Should your travels bring you back to the states, we hope we can welcome you back!

Have a wonderful holiday season,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for a repeat visit in Dec2014 - almost 5 years since my last stay with them. The Jefferson is still a special place. Highlights: (1) The room is fantastic - right up my alley. Solid, unique furnishings and fixtures. Quiet rooms with plenty of windows and fantastic showers/tubs. (2) Lovely staff. Asked for a tour of the historic areas and one of the concierges toured us around for 20 mins. Be sure to see the signed Jefferson documents in the hall - and the book room with signed copies of books from all the modern authors who have stayed at the hotel. One night we were with a group looking to have a drink and a chat at the bar (which was crowded), and a lovely gentleman offered to serve us in the book room, and closed it off so we had it all to ourselves! (3) Internet, wired and wifi, as well as local AND long distance are all included. Why can't all 5 star hotels do this??? (4) Yummy complimentary coffee in a simple but elegant set up every morning. (5) An excellent bar, with bar food that tastes good (like fries with spice mayo). (6) Plume looked to be an excellent dining option for dinner - but we already had plans out of hotel so didn't try. Hope to another time. (7) LOCATION. Can walk everywhere (which we did): Georgetown, White House, 14th St corridor, Connecticut/Dupont Circle, The Mall.
In a nutshell: if you want 5 star service and facilities, stay here. It is a very good value, especially on the weekends with some of the discounted rates. The Jefferson is like staying at a fine European Hotel - in a gorgeously restored building. Not many US hotels can match it. I heard that the current owners really take a personal interest - and you can tell.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite - suites ending in -03 are at end of a hall with corner rooms for both bedroom...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Jefferson is is located in a beautiful, old (with updated amenities) Washington building within easy walking distance of the White House. It has warm and welcoming public spaces. Room and bar service are excellent. The beds and rooms as a whole are incredibly comfortable and well designed and I would like to permanently inhabit the shower. However, this hotel is more than the sum of its parts in a way that is difficult to describe. The overall friendliness and quality of service combined with an unobtrusive but nearly perfect attention to detail creates an experience that is even better than you know you want.

Don't miss the book room or an opportunity to chat with the in-house historian. He is a Thomas Jefferson expert but also a knowledgeable, licensed DC tour guide. Check out the weekend piano player in Quill bar. He is not just a good musician but a classic cabaret artist, which makes for a very enjoyable interactive performance.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor with a view and you will be able to see the Washington Monument from your roo...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear AllTerra,

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay at The Jefferson. I will be sure to pass along your kind words regarding Aaron, our hotel historian and Peter, our piano player in Quill and I was so pleased to read that you found our accommodations comfortable and welcoming!

I do hope that should your travels bring you back to Washington, we can welcome you back and in the meantime, we’ll try to work on a way for you to take up residence in our showers.

Have a wonderful holiday season,

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I didn't want to leave. Relaxing, intimate, beautiful and everything you'd hope for in a 5star hotel. Something would have to go terribly wrong for someone to give this establishment a bad review, because this staff is proactive and professional!

• Stayed December 2014
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear sanbosdc,

Thank you for the great review regarding your recent stay at The Jefferson! We appreciate your kind words about our staff and hope to welcome you back soon.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First family trip to the US. Washington, of course, is a destination to visit !! looking @ trip advisor for 5 star hotel ... almost all r booked ! ( African countries summit) ... find rooms @ the Jefferson !
I don't know how many rooms in the hotel ... but the hotel is a boutique !!the design is amazing !! One of the most beautiful rooms I got to sleep in! Location is about 5 minutes walk from the White House, 5 minutes from restaurants,in the center !!! Extraordinary service from all the hotel employees. At least once breakfast, A La Carte Menu .... expensive! ..... But we'r on holiday (-:
The hotel has pay parking & free internet.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ran S.,

I’m so glad that you chose to spend your first family trip to the U.S. at The Jefferson and that you were pleased with both our guest rooms and our location.

I do hope that should you return to the U.S. you will stay with us again!

dbueno@jeffersondc.com

Been to The Jefferson, Washington DC? Share your experiences!