“Charming & elegant hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jefferson, Washington DC

Save Saved
You added The Jefferson, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Jefferson, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 16th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Special Price
15% off Suites Mid Week
Ranked #1 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Evansville, Indiana
“Charming & elegant hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband, teenaged son, and I stayed 5 nights at The Jefferson. We came to Washington to see the sights for spring break. We booked a deluxe suite and were pleased with the generous space and amenities. With a teenager having that space was especially welcome to us. It is rare to have an ample selection of towels in a bathroom -- I really appreciated that! The tv in the mirror is a nice touch, too. I soaked my weary body each night in the tub and enjoyed the tv at the same time! The shower was wonderful - so nice to have such good water pressure -- and it was a nice size, too. It was nice to arrive to a room that had bottled water, fresh fruit and even chocolate covered pretzels waiting the first night. Several nights we found salted caramels and other goodies left for us as well. We enjoyed breakfast in the dining room each morning and found the menu to be excellent and service to be attentive without being intrusive. The fitness center is very small but the equipment is extremely well maintained, and I liked finding a fresh towel and bottle of water at the treadmill each morning. After a day of walking, walking and more walking it was refreshing to be welcomed back by doormen who genuinely seemed happy to see us. The concierge had wonderful dinner recommendations - we didn't have a single bad meal! My ONLY complaint is that I wished we could have had firmer pillows -- that's just a personal preference and likely not a big deal to most. I left a note for housekeeping asking for additional pillows and we returned to several -- there was a genuine desire to make us feel comfortable and we appreciated that. Our final night I insisted my boys (husband and son) dress for dinner and we ate at Plume. It was excellent -- the service, presentation, and flavorful dishes made for a magnificent ending to a fabulous stay. Other reviews remarked about the price -- indeed the property is pricey but in Washington most everything is -- here you'll find value for that price, elegance and old world charm (not to mention history) that's missing at big chain hotels.

Room Tip: Families will appreciate the space of the deluxe suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

As you would expect everything about The Jefferson is a five star experience. We recently enjoyed three nights at The Jefferson on a family vacation to DC. Our suite on the seventh floor was well appointed and quiet. Housekeeping was very efficient with daily upkeep and turndown service. You will find the staff very friendly and accommodating to any request. The concierge is readily available and well connected to restaurants and events in the DC area. Lynn did a wonderful job with our dinner reservations and private tour-guide service.
The hotel is beautiful with many historical papers and books throughout. I particularly liked the reading room for some early morning reading and to catch up on email. Coffee and fresh baked muffins are available in the lobby very early.
The bar is quiet and a nice place to stop for a nightcap at the end of a long day. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was very enjoyable and ate lunch in the bar one day which was also very good. I recommend a reservation for the main restaurant for any meal but breakfast.
The Jefferson has a very personal feel to it which I attribute mostly to the employees. Location is great for all main attractions and within a 10-15 minute to many great restaurants.
This hotel is a nice alternative to the high end chain alternatives. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We took a tip from another review and requested an upper floor due to street noise. Our seventh floo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here while my wife who was attending a conference. It was a very classy and elegant place. It was pretty cool that they actually have several original documents signed by Thomas Jefferson himself on display. It was like a small trip to the past.

The service was excellent and housekeeping was also great. It is a well known hotel for people who are willing to spend. The advantage of staying at this hotel is also the fact that you have so many attractions within walking distance including the White House just a couple of blocks away. Over all it was a great experience.

• Stayed March 2013
KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

There are so many small touches at the Jefferson that make you feel special. The staff is very welcoming. The hotel is very tastefully decorated in an elegant, understated, fashion. The rooms are spotless, the beds and linens comfortable and each detail seemed to be carefully considered. From the lighting, to the music, to the tv in the bathroom behind the mirror, to the desk with conveniently located outlets, you will find everything simple and functional. I give them special credit for having a stand to house the bathroom remote along with a laminated channel guide along side. These are simple conveniences that save time and make your stay more enjoyable. The Quail bar offers a quite place to have drinks or a meal while enjoying some jazz piano. I highly recommend this hotel for a DC visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just love loved our recent stay at this hotel. I'd actually gotten mixed up and accidentally booked this hotel instead of another upscale DC hotel that I was thinking about. But my mistake turned out perfectly because not only did we enjoy a fantastic tasting menu downstairs at Plume but our room was beautifully decorated and extra comfortable. The details are a bonus at this hotel - renovated in '09' it looks every bit of an investment well spent. You expect an upscale experience from the look of the lobby and the room did not disappont. Will defintely stay her again on our next visit to the capital. Only a quick walk down the street to the white house so it is a great location if it's site seeing that you're after.

• Stayed March 2013
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Really loved this 70-room boutique hotel just a few blocks from the White House. Why? The service was carefully attentive and the cuisine excellent. It did not surprise me that this hotel was the venue where President Obama recently wined and dined a group of Republican senators.

The bed linens were wonderful and the mattress was the best I've slept on for months.

My personal preference is for more contemporary furnishings but the traditional décor did not take away from my appreciation of a hotel that does everything so well.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a deluxe suite, 208. Great accommodation but the view looked over the air conditioning.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Jefferson is an excellent hotel for the business traveler. Every aspect of the hotel is well executed. It is welcome change from the institutional feel of the chain hotels. My room was elegantly appointed and had a large desk, which was perfect for getting work done. I ordered room service. The food was delicious and the service was prompt and unintrusive. I hope to stay at The Jefferson on my next trip to Washington.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Jefferson, Washington DC? Share your experiences!