“A DC Gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jefferson, Washington DC

Save Saved
You added The Jefferson, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Jefferson, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 16th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Special Price
15% off Suites Mid Week
Ranked #1 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Richmond Virginia
“A DC Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Jefferson has a European Boutique hotel feel. Our room had beautiful french fabrics and furniture. The shower only bath was small but had a fabulous shower, and a t.v. in the vanity mirror. The service from the staff was attentive, not suffocating and top notch! We took advantage of the cosy and professional spa and I had one of the best massages by Darlene! We dined in the Plume Restaurant and chose a 3 course meal. The food was divine, and the service impeccable. The staff made every effort to make our anniversary celebration romantic and fun. We walked to the White House after dinner and had a nightcap in the Quill lounge. We also had lobster eggs benedict in the morning room which was regal! This hotel is a wonderful place to celebrate anything special, or to just spend time in Washington DC.
The staff acts like family, and makes you feel like that too. We cannot wait to visit again. Thanks to the staff for such a wonderful visit!

Room Tip: Use the pre-visit survey to ask for what you want.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Beautiful hotel, superb personalized service. Room elegant and comfortable. Loved the wood paneled library with fireplace - a great place to sit and read the paper. Staff very attentive. Great place for a weekend trip to DC. Looking forward to staying again in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I stayed at The Jefferson, Washington, D.C., for six nights in the first week of January 2012. This is generally a quiet week in Washington, D.C. It's cold but otherwise a great time of the year to visit the capital - the museums and monuments are all open but without the crowds of spring and summer.

The hotel is a boutique property (with around 90 rooms) housed in a beautiful 10 or 11 story beaux-arts style building on the corner of 16th and M Streets. It's in an upscale area surrounded by embassies, other luxury hotels and professional and not-for-profit organizations (the National Geographic Society is next door). The location is great - walk about four blocks south and you're in the White House precinct and a couple of blocks north and you're in the lively Dupont Circle area. The nearest Metro Stations are less than 10 minutes walk away.

Although housed in a historic building, The Jefferson was renovated completed in 2008. The restoration is very impressive - the rooms and public areas are sparklingly fresh and modern yet preserve the hotel's old world charm. Somehow the hotel manages to be grand and opulent yet homely and intimate at the same time - I don't how they do it!. In the six nights I stayed there I didn't see many other guests and the staff always recognized me, greeted me by name and made me feel welcomed.

Which brings me to the service at this hotel. It's simply superb in every way - every single staff member I interacted with - doormen, front desk staff, concierge, housekeeping staff - was warm and polite and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. They were so genuine, without any trace of haughtiness. All my requests and queries were dealt with promptly, efficiently and professionally, and always with a smile and sense of humour. The staff struck the perfect balance between being attentive and pro-active while remaining unobtrusive. Being a relatively small hotel, service is also quite personal - for example little comments I made to staff were passed on to and remembered later by other staff.

I was very pleased with my room. Furniture was custom-made for the hotel in an 18th plantation century style reminiscent of Thomas Jefferson's home in Monticello. Having been renovated a few years ago, it was also very modern - iPod player, Bose sound system, climate control air-conditioning, 32 inch TV with dozens of U.S. and international channels and high-speed free WiFi. I loved that all room phone calls within the United States were free of charge - more hotels should adopt this policy. The attention to detail was excellent - light switches were thoughtfully positioned and there was even a stationery kit in my desk drawer (very useful!). One of the best parts of the room was that the window actually opened - I like having fresh air in my room!

The bathroom was luxuriously appointed (faced with sandstone I think) with plenty of bench space. Toiletries were the hotel spa's own brand. There was a very spacious glass enclosed shower - this was a treat, but I found the controls fiddly and difficult to get the water temperature right. Towels in numerous shapes and sizes were thick, fluffy and plentiful.

Room housekeeping was excellent - I returned to my room each evening to find it immaculately made up with little details taken care of (e.g. water bottles refilled). I was amazed at how clean the room was kept.

I ordered room service a few times and had breakfast in the Conservatory restaurant once. The food, mainly classic American fare, was delicious. I also had drinks with friends in the Quill bar (inside the hotel) once - this is an upscale place that attracts a wealthy D.C. crowd and offers interesting people-watching.

Overall, I was delighted with The Jefferson in every respect. The feeling of luxury and elegance matched with warm and personal service made me feel like I was a guest at the private mansion of a wealthy friend rather than at a hotel.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

The remodeling of the Jefferson since I was first there has been beautifully done. The bathroom is beautiful and I love the television built into the mirror. The room decor is elegant and appropriate for such a venerable hotel. The quality of the service was superb, and the concierge Lynn very helpful to us. In my estimation the Jefferson belongs in the Relais et Chateau family.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was initially atracted by the Jefferson's membership in Relais & Chateaux and I was delighted to see that it lives up to that standard. This was my second stay at the Jefferson on business, and I have already booked my next stay. Great features abound, including a well-appointed library accessible to only overnight hotel guests. Very classy..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

This was a really wonderful hotel, very expensive but a real 5* experience. The sheets have a thread count so high it is like sleeping on a cloud!

Room Tip: We had a junior suite - it was perfect.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

The hotel was at least half empty when I stayed. I asked for a quiet room and was assured that they would take that into consideration. When I arrived, the receptionist also assured me that she was giving me a quiet room.

The hotel is located on 16th Street, one of the most major roads in DC. There is heavy and noisy traffic into the early hours. You can hear horns, motorcycles and heavy vehicles as they pass by. Yes, they have double-pane windows. It doesn't do any good, because the racket goes right through them.

Marble bathrooms, free internet, and high tech TVs aren't much use if you can't get a good night's sleep. I'm not a particularly light sleeper and this isn't a close call. It was really loud and kept me up.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 16th Street are incredibly noisy. I don't know about the other rooms. Heaven help...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Dear Mr. Rolf L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. May I take this opportunity to apologize for not meeting your expectations with regards to the noise level in your room.

I truly value your feedback, and hope you will give us another chance to show you the true level of service our hotel is capable of. Do not hesitate to call me directly to discuss at your earliest convenience; 202.448.3272

Robert Jenny
Director of Operations

Been to The Jefferson, Washington DC? Share your experiences!