“Small, intimate and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jefferson, Washington DC

Save Saved
You added The Jefferson, Washington DC to your Saves list
The Jefferson, Washington DC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 16th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #1 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Small, intimate and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

This is one of my favorite hotels. I've stayed several times and always can't wait to return. It is beautiful and luxurious, and the service is top notch. The rooms are lovely, the bed is super comfortable, the bedding is of top quality, and the bathrooms are among the nicest of any hotel in which I've stayed. (The TV in the mirror in the bathroom is super cool, and it's neat to see the weather or news as I'm getting dressed in the morning.) I also love the delicious water they provide in the rooms. (Yes, I said delicious water, and I realize that sounds strange, but it's delicious--smooth and silky and crisp and pure at the same time.) The Quill lounge is comfy and quaint but still luxurious. I could sit and sip Champagne there for hours, but I hear they make some very wonderful cocktails. I've only eaten in the restaurant for breakfast, and the French toast is absolutely delicious. Overall, I can't find a thing that needs improvement at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

An extremely pleasant hotel with old-fashioned elegance. It has something of the feeling of an inn in the heart of the city. Front desk and service were gracious and efficient and there were a number of small yet pleasant surprises, like the fantastic water pressure in the shower (not always the case in older buildings) and the beautiful and arboreal breakfast room. I debated over giving it 5 stars but decided on 4 (for now) because the kitchen seems to be going through a few issues; a 20 minute room service dinner took over an hour, arriving cold, and breakfast took so long to arrive that we had to leave after it was served (the wrong order was prepared at first, they explained). I hope this is a temporary rough spot because we'd like to return.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor but did not find street noise excessive.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Dear TravelLovingProf, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Jefferson. I was very pleased to hear about your experiences with our Front Desk and service. However, I was sorry to hear about your poor experiences when ordering through Room Service and can assure you that we are actively addressing your timing and quality concerns. Please accept my sincere apologies for these service inefficiencies.
If any future travel brings you back to our city, please do not hesitate to contact me directly; it would be my pleasure to assist you personally.
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

The Jefferson is a beautiful hotel in a location which is within walking distance to most attractions in DC. We had two rooms and requested early check-in and both rooms were available upon our arrival at 11:00 a.m. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and check-in process was efficient. The rooms are a little small but extremely comfortable and well-appointed. The bathroom was great with a wonderful shower and a small tv in the mirror. We had breakfast in the hotel the next morning and although the food and service was outstanding.

The only glitch we encountered was with the concierge. He made a reservation for lunch at a restaurant which was closed for a private function. The concierge did send a bottle of complimentary wine to both rooms.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Jefferson and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

When I arrive at the Hotel I found the valet parker not to be friendly, they were actual rude. I did report the incident to the front desk they apologize but they didn't seem to be sincere. I ask for a room on the highest floor and recieeve accomdation on a low floor. I guest I wasn't spending enough money for this hotel. The guest room was nice but not very clean, I found alot of dust on the picture and furniture. But really grossed me out was hair on the bathroom floor. Never stay at this over price hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Elba39, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the unfortunate service inefficiencies you experienced during your stay; rude staff member, failure to accommodate your request, dusty room and hair on the bathroom floor. I sincerely regret the inconvenience and frustration this caused you, and I assure you that your experience is not the standard to which we aspire, nor which our guests have a right to expect. We are following-up with each department to ensure your points are addressed.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

After much research we chose this hotel for our honeymoon city break to DC. We couldn't have chosen better. The location is superb. It is quite central , but not too noisy with city traffic. It is a 10-15 minute walk to Lafayette Park and the rear views of The White House ( which we preferred in some ways as we could see comings and goings at the rear doors) . 5 minutes more takes you to Constitution Avenue and The National Mall and its various stunning memorials, and museums.
The hotel staff are so friendly and helpful, they clearly want your stay to be memorable and make every effort to make it so ,yet do so unobtrusively. The food was absolutely excellent, whether in The Plume for fine dining ( probably the greatest fillet steaks we have ever eaten)
or in more laid back fashion at The Quill , we loved every last thing served to us.
Our room was very comfortable , the biggest freestanding roll top bath I have seen. I swear I nearly floated off when the bath was filled up!! Shower was amazing as the water pressure has to be experienced to be believed. The bed and bed linen were wonderful and made for restful sleeping that helped us cope with the inevitable jet-lag.
We certainly appreciated the chocolate dipped strawberries, rose petals , and individual small champagne bottles on ice which we were greeted with on arrival to our room. What a kind thought for our honeymoon.
We totally recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 701 looked out to the front of the hotel, over the main entrance canopy, we enjoyed the street view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, with our 11 year old son. The hotel was beautiful, elegant and very welcoming. Our room was large, very comfortable and with the most powerful shower we have ever had! The free wifi was appreciated.

All the staff were extremely helpful and made us feel very welcome. My son was extremely pleased when he asked the concierge if there was an X Box available for his use and it was then delivered and installed in our room within 30 minutes, along with appropriate games!

The location was good, although it was a short walk to restaurants etc. On the first night the concierge directed us towards Logan Circle which provided a good option within a 10 minute walk. Other restaurants/starbucks etc were also within a 10 minure walk. The White House was also a 10/15 minute walk away. The metro station was again a 10 minute walk away. All in all, a good location as long as you are happy to walk those 10 minutes or so extra or get a cab. The walk was completely safe and no concern at all on that front.

After very full days of sightseeing, one of the finds for us was the hotel bar. A lovely atmosphere, with a piano player Tuesday to Saturday, and lovely staff. The wine was very good and the bar menu had a good selection on offer for all 3 of us. The food was well prepared and very tasty and perfect at the end of a hectic day.

All in all, we had a lovely stay and we would love to stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Tx.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Just returned from the MLK dedication in Washington and The Jefferson was our choice of hotel for this trip. It was very convienent (a few blocks) to the White House and many downtown eateries and attractions. The Metro is also just a couple of blocks away, therefore getting around is very easy for anyone. Even though there is a lot of street traffic during the week, virtually there was not very much outside noise coming into the room. The windows are double-paned. The hotel has just gone through a renovation and is quite comfortable and luxurious.

The Deluxe Suite had a wonderful marble entry, nice size living room, bedroom and huge bath, with one of the best showers I have had in a hotel. It is true that it seems as if you are in a friends luxury apartment.

The staff was very professional and discreet and when a cab was needed and the bellman was away, the "very well dressed" female front desk receptionist proceeded to walk out of the lobby, into the street and hail a cab before we could blink an eye. Impressive.

We did not eat in the restuarant, therefore I cannot comment on the quality of food, but if the smells and decor of the dining room and private wine room were any indication of the kitchen's ablilty, it would be as top notch as everything else offered at the hotel. We also did not do any spa treatments due to the busy weekend schedule, but the suite amenities were from the spa and were quite nice. All of the lighting in the suites are on dimmers. Nice touch. The mirror lighting in the bathroom could be brighter however.

Little touches like soft music playing on your BOSE radio after a day of museums and walking is very refreshing. The public rooms are quaint and really make you seem as if you are not in a hotel at all.

This is a excellent hotel for the business or vacation traveler. It is now one of my favorite places to stay while in Washington DC.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Jefferson, Washington DC? Share your experiences!