“Elegant Perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hay-Adams

You added The Hay-Adams to your Saves list
The Hay-Adams
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16th & H Sts. NW, One Lafayette Square, Washington DC, DC 20006 (National Mall)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Leading Celebrations
Ranked #3 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, CO
“Elegant Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We arrived quite late after battling traffic and weather driving down from NYC...only to be upgraded to a ridiculous suite overlooking the White House. And then the experience just got better.

The location is obviously amazing, walking distance to everything and enjoy a view of the white house from your room. The service is first class, discreet but ever present...which is tough to pull off. The basement bar is a wonderful spot for a night cap or a cold drink after a day of walking through museums and around the city. I'm not a big brunch person, but we had the formal sunday brunch and it was phenomenal. Ask nicely and they'll take you up to the roof (after getting the OK from secret service) for a birds eye view of the white house, super cool.

This is a really old hotel and that comes with good and bad. The floors might creak a bit and the bathrooms are not the giant spa-like experiences found in many newer hotels at this price point. I personally love how much history is in and around the hotel and embraced everything that comes with it, just not everybody's cup of tea.

I wont stay anywhere else in DC, this is as good as it gets.

Room Tip: If going here and paying the steep price of admission I would splurge for a view of the white house.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear COTraveler81,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for giving such well-rounded comments. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back in the future. We hope we can make the Hay-Adams your “home away from home”!

VP / General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel, amazing view.... Complete luxury. The restaurant was a complete let down in food and overall feel, only saved by the wonderful Eli who served us as people and did not look down his nose at us because we were not decked out in our Sunday best. Hotels of this standard can go either way and the Hay Adams is an amazing experience but next time I will ditch the blue jeans and sneakers and bring my more acceptable attire and see if the feel of the place is any better.
Great location and the only way to be closer to the White House is to be invited inside. Beds are the best I have ever slept in and showers have nice water pressure.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brasilia, DF
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

First place... I paid $ 3.600 for two nights...We have stayed at this hotel for two nights. We thought it was a serious hotel, for people who want to rest, but no. They allow other guests to have parties all night, with blasting music. We couldn´t rest, so we called the front office and Mrs. Boelke said that the noise wasn´t so bad. We packed our things and went to The Hotel Sofitel, right next to the hay adams. We slept a peaceful night. If you want to rest, don´t stay at the Hay Adams Washington DC. If you want to party or listen to noisy music all night you are going to the right place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Beatriz R,

Thank you very much for informing us of the details of your stay through TripAdvisor. As one of the most respected luxury properties in the District, it is crucial for us to absorb all feedback from our guests’ experiences, both positive and negative, so we can make the appropriate corrections to strengthen our service standards.

Allow me to also frankly convey that our Assistant Front Office Manager that evening, Ms. Boelke, profusely apologized to you for the noise disturbance, and took the liberty of contacting the party on the roof to request, on your behalf, that the music volume be lowered. Ultimately, Ms. Boelke’s efforts, which were made in your best interests, resulted in the event ending early.

Albeit the Hotel has a strong reputation, I still wish to assure you that our guests’ satisfaction is our highest priority. Please know that once we learned of your discomfort upon your early departure, we fully retracted the charges for that night’s stay, and voluntarily refunded you for both rooms including the tax for that evening. It was our every intention to suppress the noise disturbance and communicate those efforts to deliver the peaceful stay you deserved. I hope the reimbursement of the last night’s room and tax, as well as my sincerest apologies, can help alleviate the disappointment you felt after having left the Hotel.

VP / General Manager
Davis, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

First time I have stayed here. From the moment I walked into the hotel, everyone made me feel welcomed. The rooms are very comfortable in cream colors. My room had a Bose with CD's and I put one on a took a long bath listening to music. Great bath tub. Very nice bathrooms and nice soaps and creams. Windows open for fresh air which is important to me. Room service very good and on time. Beds very nice and perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful October weekend at the Hay Adams. The location of the hotel is ideal for walking almost everywhere, and the staff went above and beyond at every turn. They knew our names, arranged a wonderful tour of the monuments, recommended great restaurants, and even sent us a bottle of champagne because I happened to mention that we were celebrating a special wedding anniversary. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the church.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Afton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the Hay-Adams Christmas night. I had requested a room with a fireplace. After the Christmas rush and planning to attend a funeral the next day, we were in need of cozy quiet. I did not realize that "ornamental fireplace" translates to non-working fireplace. This was my mistake. To me, a non-working fireplace is just a hole in the wall. If a fireplace is important to you, I was told that only room 812 has a working fireplace. On the other hand, everyone was friendly and efficient. The color scheme is soothing and the flowers perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed in the Hay Adams in 2012, and had to say that the place was frankly miserable. It's an okay hotel. Amazing service, but pathetic rooms, uncomfortable beds, and a snobby concierge who treated me and my wife like we were pests. The room service was tasteless and over-expensive. The hotel restaurant was also utterly terrible - the gnocci was stale and disgusting. No idea who the legions of people are who love this place - we're not them, I suppose. The Hotel Palomar makes this place look like a Super 8.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear EdZ60763,

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism. Frankly, I am a little surprised and dismayed at your delayed response. Based on our distinguished reputation, legions of supportive guests, and as a proud member of the Leading Hotels of the World, it is always our first and foremost desire to rectify any shortfalls in our services and product. I now know that we sincerely tried very hard to meet your specific needs while you were still registered. Obviously, we failed, despite all team members being keenly aware of your sensitivity. I assure you that your concerns expressed have prompted further discussions in our desire to further strengthen our time-honored and well-established status.

As a further token of my concern and a desire to restore you and your wife’s confidence in our service and facility, I would like to offer you a complimentary stay on a return visit. However, if you prefer, as an alternative, I would be happy to assist you with accommodations more suitable to your and your wife’s taste and preferences, as expressed in your response, for one night (on a mutually agreeable date) with our compliments within the year. Please contact my office directly.

Vice President & General Manager

Been to The Hay-Adams? Share your experiences!