“Only needed one night to fall in love with the hay-adams” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hay-Adams

Save Saved
You added The Hay-Adams to your Saves list
The Hay-Adams
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16th & H Sts. NW, One Lafayette Square, Washington DC, DC 20006 (National Mall)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Discover DC
Ranked #3 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
orlando, Florida
“Only needed one night to fall in love with the hay-adams”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

We were passing through washington d.c. on our way to meet with family and decided to stay at the hay adams due to its amazing location. If you're in washington for sightseeing there really is no better location in all the city. Once we arrived the experience only got better and better until we finally left.

We had originally picked a cheaper regular room on a lower floor with a view of Lafayette Park. When we checked in however, we found out that we had been upgraded to a suite with a view of the white wouse due to our LHW membership. The concierge was amazingly polite and helpful. My mouth nearly dropped when I walked into our room and saw the white house only a few hundred feet outside my window. The room was unbelievable! The ceiling had beautiful molded plaster as did the fireplace. The bed was great and they even gave us a white chocolate replica of the white house!

The only downside was the dated electronics. A small crt-television and the fact that I couldn't get the internet working wasn't enough to detract from my amazing visit. I can't wait to return.

Stayed December 2007

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

I realize three stars is unusual for this hotel. I'm usually probably overly generous with my ratings, but in this case I think the mediocre review is warranted, and hopefully will include some helpful tips for others.

Let me jump in with a huge issue--not a problem so much, but a caveat. The issue is room views. The hotel markets its views of the White House ad nauseum, but keep in mind only a small fraction of the rooms have these views. I assume it's only one-eighth of the rooms or less (the upper floors on the front only). You will, of course, pay an enormous premium for these rooms. All other rooms have very average views at best. Many rooms are marketed as having "church views", which sounds lovely, but the church is a small, unassuming building framed by two ugly concrete offices; nothing you will gaze at for any length of time. So, your choices are to pay a fortune for a view of the White House in the distance, or have no significant view at all. It's not an easy or pleasant choice to make.

One other note on views: A number of reviewers have praised the roof terrace, which I don't get at all. You can't use it! It's closed except for functions, so unless you're there for a wedding it's off limits. We did ask the concierge to take us up for a viewing, which he very willingly did, but a two-minute glance is hardly the same as enjoying drinks or dinner on the roof.

We were really disappointed that we were given a room directly across from the elevator and service storeroom, even though it appeared that the hotel was not full. I expect five-star hotels to assign rooms intelligently based on quality, quietness, and location when the hotel isn't packed. The noise was not earsplitting, but we could very easily hear the elevator ring every time it stopped at our floor, servants going in and out of the storeroom, and people getting ice at an ice machine. We could also pretty clearly hear other guests through the walls. My wife and I commented that it felt more like we were at a Motel 6 off the Interstate than a five-star hotel. Be sure to ask for a room that is not next to the elevators, and prepare to hear your neighbors a bit more than you would like.

The room was fine, although fairly small; nothing breathtaking, just nice, clean, and elegant. The service was fine, although in seven nights at the hotel we did not get turndown service twice, which seemed odd.

The service downstairs at reception and the restaurant was uniformly polite and helpful. In fact, one night we asked for a cab and the bellman directed us to a free car service instead, which was quite a nice luxury.

We had dinner in the restaurant and ate breakfast there every day. The wait staff was extremely attentive and helpful. My only small complaint is that the prices are extremely high. A small glass of juice, when you factor in a tip, is approaching ten dollars! I guess high prices are to be expected at a place like this, but at some point you cross the reasonableness threshold into absurd, and this restaurant is not too far away from that line.

The location of the hotel is mostly a positive. It certainly is fun stepping outside and immediately seeing the White House, and the hotel is fairly close to most historical sights and neighborhoods. I would point out it is a bit of a hike to the major museums and monuments; the Willard is a bit closer to the Mall and major museums, although the Hay Adams is certainly well located, too.

Overall, we just had a negative feeling about this hotel. Sure, it's historic and pleasant and has a nice staff. But, there are painfully clear classes of "haves" and "have-nots" when it comes to room views, rooms with elevator, neighbor, and others noises filtering in from all sides, and other little issues that intruded on our experience. It is by no means a bad hotel, but use caution when settling in for a long stay and consider other options if you're particularly sensitive about the issues mentioned above.

Stayed December 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

Perfect in every way. Definitely would stay there again.

• Liked — The location and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Dearborn, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

This hotel was magnificent!

I decided on this hotel after viewing reviews here, at Conde Naste, and other websites. What a great decision. I booked this stay through Virtuoso travel agents (and recommend you do the same - they are nationwide) because they were able to get us additional amenities and upgrades.

The room was beautiful. We received an upgrade to a deluxe room, overlooking Lafayette Park. Very clean. Beautifully decorated. VERY comfortable beds! Each night, with turn down service, we received other "treats" to help us relax: foot balms & special lotions, fruit plates, FIJI water, etc.

Greeted by name off the elevator daily. VERY attentive staff. Helpful in getting last minute reservations. Concierge was a bit stiff but responsive, nonetheless. Christopher (front desk host) was VERY attentive, helpful and concientious.

Restaurant staff very attentive as well. Food was delicious and tasty.

This was a end of the summer trip before school. The hotel made our trip TRULY more enjoyable.

Highly recommended!

• Liked — EVERYTHING! Room, service, amenities, location, etc - everything was top notch.
  • Disliked — Thoroughly enjoyed entire experience here.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
-----------------------
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

This hotel had great family service. Had a cookie jar in the front lobby filled with differnet kinds of cookies....my daughter loved it. Views are excellent. Service was outstanding, and very helpful. They let us go on the roof deck of the hotel...beautiful views of D.C., great camera place!! Also, really nice small containers of Evian mist provided for no change. A great place right in the middle of D.C.! Who could want better than that?
Hint- In April, they have the White House Garden tours. We were lucky enough to get tickets.

• Liked — Very comfortable
  • Disliked — Everything was great.
  • Stayed April 2003
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

Stayed three nights for the Bruce Springsteen concert about a mile away at the Verizon Wireless Center. I agree that for this price every aspect of the stay should be near flawless - and it wasn't quite. At check-in (upgraded one level via Virtuoso reservation) I had to climb over construction materials to reach my room, I was assured that the construction in a neighboring room was over and that was accurate. The room was fine and luxurious feeling - although I was surprised to see the sloppy paint job. Both drinks in the bar and breakfast (part of my package) were extremely expensive, even for this caliber of hotel. and I think it was because they must have people stop in and use these tables for meetings - so they "rent" them via the high prices. I was there over a holiday weekend and on Tuesday morning the dining room was packed with what appeared to be Washington regulars. Service was satisfactory for the most part - the highlight is the wonderful gentleman who delivered a delicious late-night room service snack. The low point was when I called housekeeping and asked for them to please make up my room early; when four hours later the room still was not made up I was told: we have lots of VIPs checking in and their rooms come first. I never did receive an apology for that.

Stayed November 2007
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

The Hay-Adams is in a great location, and overall I was happy with the hotel. However, there is not a lot of lobby area in which to sit and the rooms are a little tired. The bar in the basement is very clubby and unexepectedly intimate, but the hotel is best as a base for work, rather than as a holiday destination or romantic get-away.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of lobby/ lounge areas
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Hay-Adams? Share your experiences!