“old reliable is better than ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $10
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Beaufort, South Carolina
“old reliable is better than ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

This is my 3rd or 4th stay here (but first since 2000) --- but my first since it has become the Madera and a Kimpton hotel. I liked it before, but now I love it! Always a great location--near Dupont Circle/Metro, Phillips Collection, Kramerbooks, great walking in nearby embassy district, etc. Our room was quiet with nice view of National Cathedral, reasonably sized and chic decor -- everything appears meticulously maintained. Loved the beds, pillows, and linens. Everything top notch. The staff was warm, friendly and very helpful (we forgot to unpack something from our car and the bellman must have run as it was retrieved and delivered with a smile in only a few minutes). Did not have time to eat at the Firefly but enjoyed wonderful dinner and the great atmosphere (hip but warm) there when visiting in DC a few months ago. A great home base for DC, whether for business or pleasure!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

THis hotel is absolutely lovely! It is not your typical hotel setting- it has an intimate setting which is refreshing. Large rooms and cute layout. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a quaint place, in a nice area of DC, with a COMFORTABLE bed and beautiful room. I definitely plan to stay there again! By the way, the restaurant connected to the hotel has the BEST burgers...if you like good food.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I lived in DC for two years and before and since have stayed in many of the hotels in the District. I had always wanted to stay at the Madera because I love Firefly, the restaurant. I finally got a chance when I went back for a long weekend. I loved everything about it. The room was spacious and had a balcony overlooking New Hampshire Ave. It is very close to the DuPont Metro (Red Line)and the DuPont neighborhood. The staff was outstanding. They were friendly and personable. They were helpful to people with questions as to restaurants and attractions. I was traveling alone but this hotel seems very pet friendly with dog bones and welcome signs for registered pets! The lobby is small but I personally liked that. There is some seating outside the front door to people watch. I loved everything about my visit and hope to stay there again soon!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

The warm and friendly staff make this hotel a cut above the rest. The rooms are spaceous and immaculately maintained. Heating a cooling was easily regulated for varying comfort levels. Staff and management committed to echo friendly policies.
Conveniently located just off DuPont Circle. Great restaurants all within walking distance. Hotel quiet and comfortable all night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Galveston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed here last month for almost two weeks so I got to know this hotel very well.

Like someone else stated earlier, some of the trivial complaints that show up on reviews of this hotel are ridiculous. Yes it needs some updating, but that means that the furniture old, not dirty. The carpet is old, not dirty. The bathrooms are small, but what do you expect for an east coast city? The rooms are huge for this area, and if you get a balcony room (which I highly recommend) they are large as well. The close proximity to Dupont Circle metro station alone makes this hotel well worth considering over others. In fact we were considering the Rouge and the Helix, but Madera won due to having the best price and it was closer to the metro station than the others.

The staff is top-notch for customer service. Nikki, John, Michele, Monte, Juda, Robert, Marcus, Blake, I know I’m forgetting someone but they are all incredible. They arranged for a private car tour of the city for us at a price we could not have gotten on our own. They even took care of checking us in for our return flight since I couldn’t print boarding passes from my laptop.

Yes the lobby is way too small for a hotel but come on folks, what about the nightly wine reception? I’d rather be cramped in a small lobby that served complimentary wine every evening than be in a large lobby that points you to the bar for $10 for a glass of cheap wine. BTW, the staff informed me that they are remodeling the lobby to make it bigger very soon.

Every morning they served the best coffee. I asked for a coffee maker in my room but never used it because what they served in the lobby was so much better.

We only stopped into Firefly on our last day because we got invited to complimentary continental breakfast from the manager who was great as well. Loved their blueberry muffins! Nothing against Firefly, we kept saying that we were going to eat dinner there, but DC has so many restaurants to choose from that we just never made it there for dinner.

I can understand some of the complaints from people who paid upwards of $300/night. This is not a $300/night hotel and I would have expected more from the place had I paid that much. I got it for $159/night from the Madera website directly, no Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

I would definitely stay here again but would not pay any more than $200/night for the type of hotel that it is. Great staff and location, but definitely not a $300/night hotel. They would need to do some serious updating to be charging that much for a room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Worst Kimpton experience to date. I’ve stayed at an array of Kimpton’s in different cities; high expectations for consistent interest and customer service at moderate prices. The Hotel Madera must charge for location only. It’s two blocks from Dupont Circle – great location! The entire hotel is really quiet – nice quiet stretch of New Hampshire Ave. That’s pretty much where the accolades end.

I asked for a high room – got second floor balcony overlooking the entrance port-cochere. I’m a member of their loyalty club.
Overall, the property is a bit run down; not nearly as fresh as the Hotel Monaco in Baltimore where I just stayed two nights ago. Basic square room with some interesting lighting thingy stuck to the ceiling – although it is fairly spacious, for a DC hotel. Amenities are via wall dispensers in the bathroom, except for one hand bar (aveda, at least) at the sink. No extra pillows; scant towels. The lobby consists of two chairs across from a couch right at the entry; very cramped. When I left my room for housekeeping to clean, there was no place to go.

I left the room at 10:30am and put the “please clean” sign on the door (actually, their creative kimpton-esque sign says “I crave order”); came back at 2:30 and the room was not done yet.
The “summer” special is inconsistent here as well. In Baltimore, it included valet parking. At this one, it does not. To be fair, the cities are two different markets.
The Madera is somewhat on par with the Hotel Rouge – a little down budget, older, standard-looking rooms. For the price, the Helix is much more interesting. The Madera got my attention because it was one of the higher priced Kimptons in DC; not at all worth the price differential.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
GMMadera, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Dear Erdocmdca. Thank you for your comments and positive reviews regarding our location and spacious accommodations. I am disappointed to hear that your request for a higher floor was not honored and that housekeeping service was not when you had asked. We are pleased to inform you that we are scheduled for a lobby renovation in August and that we have recently purchased and installed new mattresses. We continue to improve our product and services thanks to feedback like yours. Thank you.
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

From the perspective of a 3-star property, Hotel Madera delivers pretty much exactly what you'd expect. When picking hotels for family trips I tend to choose spots with a few more luxurious amenities. Last time in DC we stayed at Hotel Palomar, another Kimpton property just down the road. But this time my trip was a combo business/pleasure and I was locked into an expense account budget. Plus, I'd give up quite a bit to stay near DuPont circle, and for whatever reason, IMO there aren't any remarkable hotels in that neighborhood. Go figure. I ended up paying $237 a night (google Nature Conservancy discount code) and I'd say this is just exactly what this hotel is worth. The same day I made the reservation Kimpton emailed me with an offer to a balcony room upgrade for $5 per night. I would never pay full price for an upgrade until making sure there was no forthcoming deal like this.
The hotel itself it was nice, but from the website I thought it would be a little more hip or trendy overall. Madera has an identity crisis, not exactly your basic Holiday Inn but the designers didn't go far enough to make it into anything remarkable either. Other than what you get in the room, there are no hotel amenities of any kind. I would never stay here with kids.
Our room was very large with a lovely view. Large closet, but not enough hangers or drawers for a long stay. Everything was clean.
The room upgrade does not equal any upgrade to the bathroom. The postage-stamp size bathroom was about at parity with a gas station bathroom but with a teeny-weeny tub added. Toiletries were the cheap/nasty brand--bring your own. There's no lotion. They were very stingy with their dingy, old, small towels. I get the eco/green hotel thing, but I think cheapo touches like 2 tiny towels per room and gumming the shampoo bottle on the wall are more about what's good for Kimpton than what's good for the environment. Call me a cynic.
Service was uneven. One day we came in soaking wet from some unexpected rain, and the desk clerk offered (unprompted) to send up extra dry towels. Sounds nice, but we never got any, and calling down no one was ever even told he made this offer.
If you're considering between 3 star hotels I'd say consider Hotel Madera as one of your choices; it's a fair to good value on a mid-level property in a five-star location. Just don't go expecting a luxury property and then complain because Hotel Madera doesn't qualify.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!