“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Our family had 3 rooms and thought this hotel perfect for our sightseeing and family visit. The rooms are spacious and lovely. The location is perfect for using the Metro, which we did with no problems. There are many restaurants in the area, plus we ate twice at the Firefly at the hotel. The staff was very helpful. The wine, hot chocolate, and coffee were very nice after coming in from the cold. I cannot think of any negatives. This was a great hotel for us.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Madera last night (New Year's Eve). It is a very nice place, our room was lovely -- very well decorated. The bathroom was very small, but posed no problems for us. The staff was exceptional. One of the other reviewers commented that the staff was the hotel's best asset - I certainly second that! So friendly and helpful. We were even upgraded to a room with a balcony so that we could have two beds - no additional charge to us. Would certainly stay there again!! While we did not have our dogs with us, it was very obvious that the hotel was very pet friendly - dog biscuits at the check in and a water bowl in the foyer.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

I stayed here for a weekend in Oct with a girlfriend. We didnt plan on using the room much - just for sleeping and getting ready to go out
The hotel is in a great location - Dupont circle's restaurants are steps away. the lobby is very small and feels a bit cramped if there's a few people waiting to check in, though the process is pretty quick and painless (for both checking in and out) also the front desk attendent and especially the bellhop with very friendly and helpful when it came to restaurant suggestions and allowing us to store out luggage on the last day
the room set-up is just akward and theres so much wasted space. we had a king room and there's an odd alcove/foyer upon opening the door - the closet is there and a small table to fill the space... with all that space they could have made the w.c. bigger! the toilet/tub are crammed into a TINY space (the door is maybe .5inch away from skimming the side of the tub - which is smaller than standard sized tubs btw) and the sink is outside of the w.c. in an alcove. there is a lot of counter space near the sink (big plus for two girls)
the rest of the room was a decent size however there was much too much furniture in there and made it feel cramped. also, no full length mirror anywhere in the room. and the worst part about the room - it smelled HORRIBLE, like an animal had died in there... a while ago. the manager came up to take a whiff (lol) and said it was probably mold, and that he'd bring up a machine to clear out the smell/dry out the carpet when we left for the evening. we did so and when we returned, the room smelled just as bad as it had before we left.
also the walls between rooms are paper thin. saturday afternoon we heard the neighbours talking (the convo was perfectly audible) and could even hear the tv. while my friend and i were getting ready to go out later that evening, our not-so-neighbourly neighbours banged on the wall several times. not only was it not late, but we were just two (sober, mind you) people getting ready to go out for dinner then dancing. if we didnt have the tv on and were quiet (say, going to bed/waking up) we could hear the beep of the elevator as it stopped on our floor, and our room was around the corner from the elevator so not very close at all
the hotel restaurant firefly has great brunch/breakfast and service so make sure you try it at some point. the french toast is delicious and you really cant go wrong with $1 mimosas!
overall im certain i will not stay here again as there are so many other great hotels in the same area. i was really looking forward to staying here (i am a big fan of kimpton hotels) but madera really let me down

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
GMMadera, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2010
Dear aslant. Thank you for your comments and positive reviews regarding our location, staff and restaurant Firefly. Your detailed review will certainly aid us in our quest for 100% guest satisfaction and your feedback is appreciated. Please accept my apologies for any discomfort during your visit, each item described has been discussed with the team to ensure future travelers do not experience the same problems. We look forward to a soft room renovation this year which will be a great opportunity to review some of the space issues you mentioned. The hotel is inspected regularly for mold and other. I will be sure to emphasize to the staff that if a room looks or smells like mold and mildew, it should be placed out of order and the guest moved (if needed or wanted) for a more thorough inspection by a 3rd party. Thank you again so much for your comments!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

First, thanks to all the previous reviewers. Your comments truly helped me out! Second, I'm normally a fan of big chain hotels (I'd been burned in the past by not-so-up-to-par boutique hotels), so the Madera was a stretch for me. I booked it solely on the recommendations of TripAdvisor contributors who, I must admit, managed to sway me to the other side.

Visiting DC for the Thanksgiving weekend I wanted something nice. We were promptly and pleasantly greeted by a very personable and efficient person at the front desk! He highlighted the nightly wine reception and late night milk-and-cookie gathering. We JUST checked in and took advantage of the wine reception, sipping up the elevator and all the way to the room.

The room was a blessed surprise! Funky decor, clean, and great location on the floor (we got a balcony room).

Hotel is just a few short blocks away from Dupont Circle, a mall, and more importantly, the Metro! Great location! I'm a convert; THIS boutique hotel is a welcome breath of fresh air!

TIP: Join Kimpton's InTouch program which offers discounts on mini-bar goodies AND free internet access.

I love the DC area and look forward to my next visit, AND, a repeat stay at the Madera.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Hello LarrySF0523,

First, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad you took a leap of faith based on our other guest’s comments and reviews. That is what TripAdvisor is all about and also what we want you to be able to do. I am glad that you were not disappointed and truly enjoyed your stay. We know we’re different from chain hotels because all Kimpton hotels are unique in décor but offer the same high level of guest service with a friendly and welcoming smile. Thank you for giving us a go, and please come back and stay again soon…if you’re in another part of the company don’t forget to check out Kimpton Hotels first!
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

I'm staying at the Madera over the Thanksgiving holiday, checked in yesterday. 1) Arrived 1 hour before check-in and was given a room right away. 2) This hotel's specialty is "yes". Can I have a room on the top floor? YES. Can you give me directions to 5 different places? YES. Can you print this out for me? YES. I've never had better customer service anywhere, and I've traveled extensively. The room is huge for the rate, I really like the modern art, and every single person I've interacted with has been friendly and helpful (shout out to Winfield). I walked to the White House and the Smithsonian Museums today and taking the Metro back took about 20 mins. Walked to the Kennedy Center for the Nutcracker yesterday and a cab ride back was $5.25. I will stay here again and again, and am motivated to try other Kimpton Hotels. Of note: If you are a picky perfectionist that values lack of minor room flaws (yes, there is an unidentifiable stain in the carpet and some nicks on the wooden platform bed) over personal and cheerful customer service then this isn't the place for you. But as a solo traveler, I'm thrilled.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Hello TamekaNikki,

Thank you for visiting over Thanksgiving holiday. It is certainly a good time of year to be traveling. I am happy to hear you were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and the staff. What makes me most pleased is that everyone you interacted with was friendly and helpful. Everyone here tries their best and I know they will all be happy to hear how mush you enjoyed your stay. We do hope you’ll be back again. See you again soon!
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

What a nice experience, This was our first trip to Washington DC and the hotel staff was very helpful. The hotel has a warm home feeling with great value. The restaurant was locally well acclaimed and the food was first class. The Metro is close by and convenient. Checkout was fine with no surprises. Although the building is older it was well maintained and fitted with modern appliances.

Hello Skippermitch,

I am happy to hear on your first trip to Washington DC you chose to stay with us. Thank you! I am glad that you liked the hotel and the décor. You’re right we are in a great location. Thanks for staying and come back again soon!
Warwick, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

Recently stayed here in a King Balcony room. Hotel room had more of a loft feel. Great space and overall great service. Room rate was very well priced. Balcony view not spectacular but still welcomed. Yes bathroom is small, but vanity area isn't. The large room more than made up for it. Only minor complaint would be pillow size is too small. Large couch, desk and IPOD docking station were very nice to have. Dupont area is fantastic, with a strong european charm. Hotel bar has a nice ambiance.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Hello al_d555,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your spacious room and the great service the staff provided. I know they will be happy to hear that they did a great job! I do apologize for the pillow being too small for you. I am glad that the room made up for it as did the location. Thank you again and please come back again soon!

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!