“Perfect Stay At A Charming Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Valet Parking
Ranked #14 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbus, Ohio
“Perfect Stay At A Charming Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2005

I stayed at the Madera for a business trip -- had a dinner meeting at the Ritz Carlton, which is only 2-3 blocks away.

The location (aside from my meeting) was perfect. The area is lovely for a leisurely walk (felt very safe at night), and plenty of bistros, coffee shops, and wonderful bookstores.

And it's just a few steps from the Dupont Circle stop on the Metro. I decided to take the Metro to the hotel from National Airport (DCA) and it was a breeze -- and less than $2.00, ha! I simply took the Metro from the airport and got off at the Galleries/Chinatown stop, and then took the next train to the Dupont Circle. The hotel was 2 short blocks away. An easy stroll. The entire trip from the airport took perhaps twenty minutes from the moment I picked up my bag at the luggage carousel.

And the welcome I received at the hotel? It knocked my socks off. Gracious, warm, charming, polished, efficient. You'd have sworn I was a long lost relative. Or a royal duchess who'd deigned to visit them. Seriously, I was nonplussed at how lovely they were, especially Victor at the front desk.

I arrived just in time for the free wine, which was delicious. I took a glass into the little business center and sipped while I checked my email and printed off some background info on the potential client we were wooing.

This is a boutique hotel -- tiny lobby, tiny business center (closet-sized room with computer and printer, free internet), no room service, etc.

But the service and atmosphere were extraordinary. I can't say I've EVER had better service. When I called and asked for a clothes steamer and a bigger hair dryer -- these items not only arrived promptly but I got a telephone call asking if the items had been delivered (they had). When I called and asked for another robe -- it arrived in seconds.

The room (I was on the 10th floor, I think it was 1005, no balcony, not facing the White House or Capitol) was lovely. Very pleasing contemporary decor, free wi-fi, great portable telephone, great bed, nice sound system (wonderful music was playing when I entered the room), fabulous fabrics on the chairs, windows, and bed. Tres cool lamps and artwork. Impressive and stylish.

The wash basin and counter are in an alcove separate from the bathroom, which is very European in size. (In other words, quite small: if you have an ensuite bath in most continental hotels, there's just enough room for the bathtub and toilet.) But I'd rather have the large airy room than a spacious bathroom, and I'm accustomed to small bathrooms in France and Italy.

Victor at the front desk took very good care of me. Recommendations, directions, taxis, cookies and milk when I came back "home" at night. I felt like a V.I.P. and I wasn't -- just an ordinary business traveler.

Breakfast at the adjoining restaurant was fine - pasties, bagels, juices, coffee/tea, jams, muffins, yogurt, cereals and milk. Not a big buffet but perfectly adequate.

But the best thing was the staff and the lovely room. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

The nearby metro station is sooooo convenient -- you can get to the Smithsonian or Capitol Hill in a flash.

(I previously stayed at the Grand Hyatt, which has a truly spectacular,massive lobby and is great if you need multiple restaurants/bars, big conference rooms, etc. But the personal welcome and impeccable service at the Madera were second to none.)

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!