“Perfect 1st DC trip experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $10
Ranked #15 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lisbon, Portugal
“Perfect 1st DC trip experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stay at Madera for a week and the experience was very good. It likes a familiar hotel with staff very professional and always concerned with our questions. Very quiet rooms and the restaurant service was good enough.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
John E, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Bom Dia Daniel O! We pride ourselves on our awesome staff and quiet rooms. DC is a great city and we love learning about all the fun things that are happening here. Until the next time! John Esainko, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

All the staff were very friendly and helpful in all matters. The room was trendy and clean with big comfortable beds. Ya the bathroom was a bit small but it wasn't a big deal. The stocked fridge was nice especially for those late night or early morning cravings. The free wine and water in the afternoon was a nice touch in the hospitality world. We had a few appetizers and drinks at Firefly and it was top notch. Had a wide variety of drink options and the food seemed to come from a "top chef."
The location was surrounded by activities and the always lively Dupont Circle scene. You can't beat it, especially for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Thomas M, Thank You for taking the time to share your experience. We agree we are a step above many. The free wine and water in the afternoon and coffee in the morning allow us the hotel to take on a very homey feel! My favorite part of the mini bar is those reese's peanut butter cups mmmm. We are extremely proud of our restaurant and think our chef should go for the big $ on top chef too! How good are those deviled eggs and bacon wrapped dates? Dupont Circle can't be missed and we are so lucky to be in the middle of it all. Come on by any time Thomas M! John Esainko, General Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

If you get the chance check in with Nicole. Helpful, attentive, gave us great recommendations an overall treat to deal with. Shout out to Tee who was also attentive and helpful at check in.

We stayed in room 609 and while it is decent the stucco did little to hide the major cracks in the ceiling, the toilet ran every 30 minutes or so and the overall the bathroom is tiny. Tiny as in if you have the bathmat down outside of the shower you can't open the bathroom door.

The Kimpton chain is great and customer service can make up for so many flaws. For the price you get a decent room for the night so go ahead and book.

Room Tip: Avoid 609 and go higher up if possible
Green Features: Didn't know they had any but it is great that they do somewhere int he hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
John E, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear RSTravels365. I'm happy to hear you love my staff just as much as me, haha. Nicole and Tee are both wonderful employees and just like all of us here at Madera, they are always willing to help. I am sorry that you had issues with the room and want to assure you that we are taking care of them. Hopefully we will see you next time you decide to visit D.C. and get you up a little higher next time around.
Hillsborough, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Staff very attentive to us send dog. Appreciate the wine hour and water in lobby. Room was small but functional and was very quiet. Staff recommended 2 great restaurants in the area...Rasika in particular was a jewel. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Green Features: Really appreciate opportunity to recycle newspapers, bottles in room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
John E, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
PiecesofEight-10! Thank you for stopping by! Here at Kimpton we love pets and wine and know the importance of refreshing water after a long day! We love food and Rasika is awesome. Please come back again for more fun recommendations! John Esainko, General Manager
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I stay at Madera every time we come into DC for a little getaway. This was our 4th stay and once again, Madera made it a wonderful trip. We decided last minute to see if the rates were good on our way back from another vacation. We had our 8yr old with us, who had never been to DC but really wanted to go. I called, they had great rates, we were in! We had our bikes on the back of our car and wanted to quickly go change to take a ride so the front desk staff actually went outside and stayed with the car so no one stole our bikes. So kind! The staff is so incredibly friendly, the rooms are so big, so clean and so comfortable. We NEVER regret staying here. In fact the last time (a year ago) we wanted to take a trip the rates were high at Madera but a hotel down the block had a much lower rate. It was a great hotel too, just not the Madera. So I contacted the manager and asked if he could match their rate. And he did! Absolutely top notch customer service every time we stay there. I can't recommend this hotel enough. The cherry on the cake is that it's right between Dupont Circle and Georgetown, giving you access to everything. If you're a walker or biker then the monuments are a short walk/ride away. We love to walk and bike so it's a perfect location for us. Stay here. You won't regret it! Note: wifi is only free if you are a member of their Karma Care program. It's free to sign up so just do it.

Green Features: Very environmentally friendly! They are known as an eco-hotel. We drive a hybrid and even get 50% off parking because of it. And they are pet friendly!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear EbethJohn, Nothing like coming home right? I'm so happy you have found a place in DC that has made you and your family feel so welcome. Excellent location, excellent service, excellent rooms what else could one want? Between free bikes, yoga mats, goldfish, and wine hour we truly have it all! Please tell Ella we say hello and we can't wait to see you all again! Best, John Esainko General Manager
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I've stayed at the Madera a number of times over the years and always liked it. Last time was especially nice. Nicole was great with getting me a late checkout and Kelly(?) was wonderful in getting me set up with the free bike. Even chasing me down the street to make things right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mark10Ohio! Hope the Ohio summer is treating you well. I'm so happy you came back to hang out with us and even happier our staff was able to leave a memorable impression. Running down the street after you shows how much we truly care! Looking forward to seeing you real soon! Thanks again, John Esainko General Manager
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked an execute king with a pull out couch but when we checked in they gave us a different room because our room was sold out! WTH? I had specifically paid extra for a room with king bed and pull out couch/separate seating area because we are travelling with a 3 year old. We want to be able to watch tv in a separate area when she goes to bed at 8PM. The room they gave us was an execute queen/queen with pull out couch. I didn't fuss since it's no big deal. However, the room really did not serve our purpose. The did have a separate seating area, but the tv was not in the seating area, but in front of the beds. There was also a weird curtained room with mirrors. I didn't know what it was for in the beginning, but then realized it was a yoga room. Nice touch but such a wasted space. They could have made the bathroom so much bigger without this yoga room. I would assume a nicer and more comfortable bathroom would be more valuable to most people staying here. The bathroom was tiny. I'm unable to close the door if I was to help my daughter use the toilet. A taller person's knee would probably touch the door when closed.
We left our room around 9a in the morning and didnt' come back to let my daughter nap until 2:30p. House keeping hadn't come. I called the front desk and asked and they told me housekeeping is anytime between 9a - 4p. So, to not interrupt my daughter napping, I asked if they would come around 5p and they say no because the housekeeping staff is done at 4p. Needless to say, I was Not Happy they were not accommodating, especially, we gave plenty of time being gone since 9a...
There are a few positives - this hotel is in a very nice neighborhood, is close to the DuPont Cirle metro stop and have plently of restaurant options nearby.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Yakan, I'm so sorry we did not live up to your expectations. The room you were moved to was actually a bigger room given as an upgrade as the original room was not available. I apologize you thought the tv would be in a separate are but all our tvs are in the bedroom. It is unacceptable your room was not serviced in time and that the staff did not find a way to make this happen for you after 5pm. I will make sure to inform the director of housekeeping as well as retrain our front desk staff. I can promise you this is not our norm. If you end up back in the DC area please contact me directly and I will make sure you have the proper Madera stay. John Esainko, General Manager

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!