“Nice hotel in a great neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free Valet Parking
Ranked #14 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Asheville, North Carolina
“Nice hotel in a great neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Madera during a business trip to DC. I am a fan of boutique hotels and have stayed at other Kimpton properties in the past. I always enjoy the little unusual touches I was fortunate to receive one of their larger rooms on the top floor which was very spacious. Although the tub and toilet area was quite small. I really enjoyed the massage chair in the room and I used the yoga mat each evening. The bed was also very comfortable.

The front desk staff were very nice and I enjoyed the free wine reception in the evenings when I could make it back to the hotel in time.

In terms of location, the surrounding neighborhood is very nice with plenty of restaurants and shops. The hotel is a short walk from the Dupont Circle metro stop (I used the metro to commute to my conference each morning).

I would definitely stay here again and didn't have any negative experiences will visiting this property.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
John E, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hey Hip-Hopkins77! Thank you so much for your awesome feedback! That massage chair certainly doesn't hurt at the end of the day, especially since you were here for work, which we all know can be all sorts of stressful. I am glad to hear that our staff took such great care of you, too! Hopefully we will see you again soon, maybe for leisure and not business! John Esainko, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

The hotel, as most Kimpton's are, is a refurbished building. The small reception desk and wine/coffee area are to the right on the first floor with Firefly, the bar and restaurant to the left. The lighting tracks have been cleverly integrated into an artistic design in the bar. The space is very loud. One of our servers was knowledgeable and helpful; the other was not. What we ate and drank was well-prepared and flavorful.
There are ten floors. The elevators and hallways don't appear to receive the benefit of air conditioning.
The room we had (a queen/queen with a balcony) was spacious in the main room, as one would expect from its apartment origins, but dark and claustrophobic in the closet/ bathroom area. The balcony would be great if there had been a screen, a couple of chairs, and a small table. Although it says "city-view," there is no view of DC monuments, only neighboring buildings. The wi-fi kept cutting in and out on my devices.
We were provided quickly with anything we asked for: a coffee maker and a phone charger. However, on the morning of our departure with the "do not disturb" sign on the door, our soap and towels were removed from the bathroom.
The location is great--just a enough distance from DuPont Circle to have a neighborhood feel but close enough to it to enjoy it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
John E, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Sally L, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Madera experience with the TripAdvisor community! I am glad that you loved our location so much, you're right it is one of the best, but I am sorry that you experienced some hiccups during your stay. Thank you for the feedback, though, as now we can make sure your stay is just perfect next time you come stay with us! John Esainko, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hotel was very nice and located right near Dupont Circle. The staff was great and the little perks like wine night, coffee and morning tea, and the $10 mini bar credit for InTouch members (free to be!) was nice. We really enjoyed this place!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks Minneapolis24, I am so glad you had such an awesome stay with us! Those perks really are awesome and are what make Kimpton such a cool, non-cookie-cutter brand! See you next time! John Esainko, General Manager
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

As always, we had a great experience with Kimpton. Madera is a great choice for visiting DC - a stone's throw from the center of Dupont Circle, restaurants, shops, and the metro to get almost anywhere in the city. The hotel was immaculate, nicely decorated, king-size room was very large with a nice little balcony. Usual great Kimpton service.

Parking is very expensive, even more so than other properties in DC in our experience. Room for improvement: chairs on the balcony and a coffee maker in the room would be nice. Coffee and tea are available downstairs, but it'd be nice to have multiple cups while enjoying a relaxing weekend morning.

We would definitely stay again and will continue to visit Kimpton properties.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
John E, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Hey TravelBugs 1210! Thank you so much for that awesome review! You're right, our location is hard to beat. I am new the area and still discovering the many gems in DuPont Circle! Also, thank you for your feedback in regards to the parking and coffee makers, we will definitely take it into consideration! All in all, though, it sounds like a great stay, so hopefully we will see you again soon! John Esainko, General Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I had a very good stay at the Madera hotel! I would recommend this hotel to those who are traveling solo on business, vacationing in DC, or casually needing a hotel. The staff were so friendly, specially the front desk staff: Ms. Pleasent, and Mr. T (haha), Kristen is also very cool and helpful! I was also treated especially well by the Housekeeping Manger Ms. Kane, who was able to help me with a concern and went above and beyond my expectations.

The atomosphere was young and upbeat. The restaurant connected to the hotel had a good menu, but i felt very cramped (the height of the ceiling must have been 7ft at most).

The hotel although was ran very professionally, was smaller than i expected with a lobby that didnt allow for people to meet very well. I felt as though i was always in the way of someone when i was in it.

Overall great expereince, but not exactly what I needed for my large group!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
John E, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Hey Christine H, thank you so much for your great praise! We really love our staff, too, and your compliments just make us love them more! Hopefully see you next time! John Esainko, General Manager
Catawissa, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

If you are visiting D.C., look no further! My husband, sister, brother-in-law and I went for a getaway for our anniversary, and my brother-in-law's birthday. In all my years of traveling I have NEVER, NEVER stayed at a hotel such as this. We felt like true VIPs all weekend long!
Each couple was treated to a beautiful surprise of champagne, flowers, delightful sweet treats, and a card from the staff! Where do you find that kind of superlative service anymore?
Our rooms were HUGE, immaculate, and had a dynamite view!
I could go on and on and on...from the delightful wine hour every evening to the delectable hor coffee served each morning; there are simply too many amenities to name. But, probably the most valuable asset is the amazing staff at the hotel! They are so far superior to any I have encountered.
To repeat, look no where else. If you read this, your D.C. hotel choice should be a snap!
Kudos to you, Hotel Madera!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are to die for...awesome views!
Green Features: They are a-one! I truly appreciate them! They do try very hard to be mindful of this issue. I noted the low watt light bulbs and lights that turn off when not in use. There were also many hints for the traveler to be mindful of making a small footprint.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow Paula5524! What an amazing compliment you have given us! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. It was so great having you with us and we are glad to have you see us as a home away from home, too! See you next time! John Esainko, General Manager
Rio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed there for 5 nights in April and thought the hotel was just OK
We were offered an upgrade for 27 USD a night and the room was big and comfortable. Beds were too soft and we had back problems. Internet was very very slow, although it was free. But it didn't work. We had the promotion breakfast for USD 1,00 and could have breakfast at Firefly, which is the restaurant next to the hotel, with an inside passage. Restaurant was fine and waiters very polite.
The day before we left, we asked the front desk for help to go to the airport and theu booked us a car. But it didn't arrive on time. We waited for 10 min and decided to take a cab on the street. There was no traffic at all, so the delay could not be because of that. I think it is a lousy car service.
Location is good, kind of 2 blocks from DuPont Circle metro.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SimRio, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am so sorry that your stay with us was not spectacular, though. Any extra stress when traveling is definitely not a good thing! Again, thank you for your feedback, as without it we would not be able to improve our guests' experiences! John Esainko, General Manager

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!