“Best hotel in D.C.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #26 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oklahoma
“Best hotel in D.C.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

Hotel Madera is more than just a hotel. The staff goes above and beyond to ensure that your stay there is enjoyable. The hotel was always clean and welcoming, and the Firefly was a nice relaxing place for dinner. Located only a block or two from a metro, the location was perfect. There are plenty of restraunts to eat at within walking distance. I would personally suggest Bagels Etc. for breakfast. Our room was on the tenth floor and always quiet. We never had to wait for the elevator since one was always on the 10th floor and one on the 1st. The room was nice and big. The beds are so comfortable. We never had an issue with anything at this hotel. When my husband and I need a reasonably priced dinner on our last night in D.C we called down to the front desk and they printed us a list of nearby restraunts with price indicators. They also suggested a quaint and popular Mexican restraunt only a 10 minute walk away. We never made it to the coffee and wine, but the free milk and cookies were a nice touch after a taxing day of walking. The Madera and staff will only receive high regards and recomendations from my husband and me.

• Liked — The location and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2008
Hello Travelseeker08,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know that the staff will be delighted to hear that they made your stay so enjoyable. I am glad that you were able to sample the cuisine of the Firefly as well as discovering some of your own favorites in the neighborhood. There is so much to enjoy in Dupont Circle.

Thank you again and I do hope that you will be able to return again soon! Have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

My wife and I, from Maryland, decided to celebrate our one year anniversary in DC. We ate the The Palm, near DuPont Circle, and decided to make it a more special evening by getting a hotel room at the Hotel Madera.

This hotel is the closest we have come to a European hotel while still in the United States. Most of the hotel is fairly minimalist, with a small and intimate lobby and public areas (in contrast to the large areas of many American hotels). The room, however, was quite big and nice and our king-sized bed was very comfortable. The WC and shower are in a very tiny room that just barely fits them (again, very European). The room had a TV with many channels and any movies available for order and the clock-radio had an iPod dock so you could wake up to your own music. The staff was wonderful and very friendly.

We had drinks and dessert in the attached restaurant, Firefly. They have a good selection of fairly exclusive beers and good mixed drinks. The desserts were delicious (the fruit cobbler comes with excellent fresh ice cream on top). The dinners that we saw all looked very carefully prepared and we heard many compliments from the large amounts of guests that were present.

We had no issues with hotel. We were treated wonderfully and the entire stay was very relaxing and calming, exactly what we wanted for the weekend. Well done, Hotel Madera.

• Liked — milk and cookies at 10.30p every night!
  • Disliked — nothing - all very good.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2008
Hello NiceGuy6,

I am glad that you chose to celebrate your special occasion with us. It sounds like you had a lovely evening out. I know how comfortable to rooms are but it is a nice touch to be able to wake up to your own music in the morning. It seems you are one of the tech savvy travelers that are becoming more common in our industry. I will be sure to let the restaurant know how much you enjoyed your experience. The creamy risotto is to die for!

Thank you for staying and I hope that you won’t wait a year before coming back to us again!
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel mainly due to it's location to sites and friends who live nearby. I also based it on the reviews on this site, which were mostly positive.

I booked a king deluxe room on an upper floor with a view. My room was at the back of the hotel on the 8th floor. I believe some people did mention about the noise of the trash pick up, I will say this was a bit of a problem some mornings, and as far up as I was, it was pretty loud, but I didn't consider it something the hotel could really do anything about. The room itself was clean and contemporary, with cool furnishings, and my view was great, especially at night. I did order breakfast the first morning I was there, but at nearly $16 with tip for a continental style breakfast, I thought it was way overpriced, in fact, the entire roomservice menu was beyond overpriced I felt. There are so many dining options for less outside the hotel, I just decided to eat out. I did have a drink at the bar at Firefly, the restaurant located in the hotel. It's seems like a cool place and very popular with the locals.

It's location almost can't be beat. There are so many restaurants near by I had a tough choice somedays on where I wanted to eat, and all within walking distance. If you're a sushi lover, stroll down to Sushi Taro or Raku, both are close by and both have awesome sushi! There's also a great Chinese restaurant nearby called Mei Wah which not only has great food, but has been popular with many political stars.

The metro is near by, but I only used it once and that was coming back from my day. I simply didn't need it. Dupont Circle is a five minute walk away, a great place tro just sip coffee from the Starbucks close by and people watch for a while, especially on Sundays. The monuments are a bit farther if you're not much of a walker, it took me about 20 mins or so to walk to them, but I didn't mind the walk at all, and it didn't feel like it took that long. If you don't want to walk, the metro is five minutes away and a cab ride wouldn't take but 10 minutes.

There is plenty of nightlife close by, both gay and straight, in which I did both since all my friends there are straight. Check out K Street Bar (straight) which is a short cab ride away, great place to dance and strong drinks! If you're looking for the gay scene, the gay area is just a 10 minute walk from this hotel, with plenty of bars and clubs to go to. Check out Jacks Restaurant and Bar, great outside patio to watch the boys stroll by and AWESOME crabcakes! They make mean drinks too :o)

Besides the roomservice issue I had, everything was great. Very friendly and personable staff who were always willing to help out with any questions I had. They also had complementary internet which I had no problems with, and a business center downstairs with a printer to print out boarding passes if you need it. All in all I look forward to my next stay at the Hotel Madera.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Room service menu was way overpriced
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

I usually stay at the "normal" chains. As a matter of fact, I almost booked at the Holiday Inn-Capitol. But the reviews and descriptions of this hotel led me to take a chance. I played around with all the usual sites to find the best rate and ultimately went with the Kimpton site. Though I had asked for a room with one king, I got a the normal two queen room. I also was a bit nervous that the quiet room I asked for was facing the street right above the restaurant. Turned out to not be a problem. It was two very quiet nights. The room and bath were fine - clean and comfy. It took me a moment to get used the automatic lights in the shower area. I was surprised that was the only place they used that type of energy saving switch. The emphasis is on being eco-friendly, but I did not notice anything extreme being done. Heck, they even took away my used soap and made me open a new box the next day.

The staff are VERY nice and friendly. I wish I had been able to interact more with the "newbie" Ann.

And who can complain when you are given a nightly dose of milk & cookies.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — small shower/toilet area
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
mandeville, la
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Madera. I was a little disappointed when I first walked into the lobby. I expected it to be small, but it also appeared somewhat shabby and worn (carpet & sofa). However, our room was spacious, clean, with nice decor that did not appear old or worn at all. The staff and service were good. I always enjoy the little extras that Kimpton hotels provide such as the wine in the evenings. We were traveling with two children and felt very comfortable at this hotel (yes, it doesn't have a pool but it is definitely not one of those snobby hotels you can't bring children to). The location couldn't be beat - many restaurants very near the hotel, a metro station just a few blocks away, and we even walked from the White House once (about a 10min walk) always feeling very safe.

Like other reviewers, I felt the price of parking overly excessive - $35+ tax!?! I thought the $25 I paid in San Francisco was high but now I guess that was a bargain. I guess the whole city of D.C. decided to charge high prices for parking and the hotels and parking garages can charge what they want. They know we don't have much of a choice. Oh well, it didn't put a damper on my trip and like someone else said, the valet was great - quick and friendly!

• Liked — large, clean rooms and location
  • Disliked — price of parking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kse1964dge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

We came to DC for a funeral and booked our stay at the Madera. We came from Indiana and so the drive was long and we didn't arrive to around 10pm. The gentleman at the desk was quite pleasant and answered any questions that we had. The trip was not for pleasure and to add insult to our circumstances our car was broken into while at the church funeral.

So.... it was a comfort to be able to come back to a hotel that was clean, quiet and a staff very attentive to our needs. We did not get to enjoy going to the restaurant the "Firefly". But we did admire our room that was tastefully decorated a full minibar and a king-sized bed that was quite comfortable.

The only thing that was not expected was the expensive parking but I could tell that parking was an issue for the city itself. Would I stay at this hotel again of course. But, coming back to DC well that is a different story. I am thinking about looking to see if this type or chain of hotels is somewhere else on one of our travels.
Thank you for making a stressful trip bearable.

• Liked — Quiet nice atomsphere
  • Disliked — expensive parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2008
Hello kse1964edge.

Thank you for staying with Hotel Madera during your recent trip to Washington DC. If only it could have been under more pleasant circumstances and it saddens me to hear you also had your car broken into. However, it pleases me that the staff did all they could to make you feel comfortable. I am glad that you have had a positive experience with Kimpton Hotels. I hope that you can visit us again. For a full listing of hotels please visit us online. In addition, Hotel Madera's story is Consciously Living and with that we are able to offer complimentary parking for hybrid cars, and we also offer packages where parking is complimentary.

Again, thank you for staying and I hope your return journey was not too much trouble.

Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Madera this past weekend while escaping to DC for our first trip without the kids in this millennium. We had a great stay at the Madera. It's location is very convenient to all of the happenings in Dupont Circle and not a bad walk to all of the major monuments and museums.

The service at the Madera was excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and very clean. We arrived early and had no problems checking in. Although I did call them the day before and mention that we may arrive before the 3pm check-in time. Check out was at noon, which was great because it gave us a chance to eat a later brunch and take out time packing. Since we didn't have to leave the area until 2ish, they held our bags for us after we checked out so that we could continue to explore the city as though we were still on vacation and not be stuck sitting in the lobby until we needed to depart.

On Saturday night, after dinner at a Thai restaurant recommended by the lobby clerk, we had a late-night snack and desert at the restaurant in the hotel (the Firefly). The cheese plate was one of the better ones we've had, and we have cheese plates just about everywhere one is offered. Our waitress, Ivy, was excellent. She was fun, efficient, helpful, and polite. Everything you could ask for in a waitress. We also ate Sunday brunch at the Firefly. And although the prices were rather high, the food and service were once again excellent.

The only negative we ran into during our stay was the cost of their parking. At $35 +tax ($39.40 total), we felt it was way over-priced. I'm not sure what their reason is for the excessive cost, but it wasn't explained to us in any acceptable manner. There did appear to be cheaper parking garages in the area, but we weren't aware of them when we checked in. On the bright side, the valet was great. He was friendly and accommodating and packed our bags into our car for us while we were out, and did an conscientious job of it as well.

All in all, we would definitely stay here again when we visit the city. Even if we brought our children.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Expensive parking
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2008
Hello TravelItNC.

Thank you for your posting. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your escape to DC at the Hotel Madera. It is indeed very close to Dupont Circle. In addition, I am glad that the staff made such a positive impression on you. and were so accommodating with your check out. Moreover I do apologize that parking in DC is expensive and unfortunately for hotels it is no cheaper either. There are self park garages around that will save you money but they are not 24 hours so you do need to plan a little. But that is always an option.

I do hope that you will be able to come back and join us soon!

Have a great day!