“A Fun Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia
“A Fun Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I love Kimpton hotels. The vibe, the animal print robes, the wine hours, the great service. I think the newly refurbished Madera, located just around the corner from the Palomar off DuPont Circle is a slightly less posh, but very acceptable member of the Kimpton family. More intimate (with almost no lobby to speak of), the hotel feels like one of those small hotels you find all over Paris. The rooms are big, well-furnished. I did not make it to the restaurant, but it looked great.

My mistake was not asking to move rooms when I noticed a recurring noise - probably something from the elevators. It was annoying enough to make me less than completely happy but not so much that it motivated me to repack and move. But that one issue aside, I'd say I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1001. Liked the balcony and the high floor views but the room must be situated nea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Kwazimotosan, thanks for posting a review of your visit! You exactly right! We do feel like a small Parisian hotel. Very cozy and with a high level of personal service. So sorry about the random noise that was keeping you up. Thanks for letting us know so we can look into it. Please do visit again and dont miss Firefly restaurant, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three nights in mid-March. The staff was outstanding. The small restaurant offered good food. The staff in the restaurant were ok but not up to the level of the front desk. I would stay there again. It is also very close to the DuPont Circle metro station.

• Stayed March 2013
Hello bogueK, so glad you would definately stay with us again!! You're a Madera guest for life now! Thanks for the feedback on the service from our Staff. This is something we pride ourselves on. Hope to see you again soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Only visited Washington DC for the weekend and the Hotel Madera was a perfect location right down the street from the Dupont Circle Metro and close to bars, restaurants,Starbucks and the Phillips Collection. The room was spacious and loved the walk in shower. Firefly was great-ate there twice-breakfast and dinner. The service was super. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. If I ever return, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I originally had a king with balcony but then changed to a double as I had a friend stay with me. It...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear denver-heidi, perfect? That's so great, thank you for saying that!!!!! Sounds like you had a true Madera visit. We cant wait for you to return!! Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Four specific elements made my stay at the Madera a success. First, I arrived at 8.45am and was promptly checked into my room with no fuss and no additional fees. This was a marked contrast to another recent experience where I was asked to pay $75 for "early check in" or the numerous occasions where I have been told "no check-in until 3pm". Second, I was upgraded to a spacious, modern and immaculate room. Third, the staff were incredibly gracious and efficient. Fourth, the location right beside Dupont Circle and with convenient connections to the rest of the city by metro or foot was a real plus. I would recommend this hotel whether visiting DC for business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello ECB2010, looks like we hit all on 4 things you feel is a a succesful hotel visit! Thanks for being our Guest at the Madera! Please visit again soon so we can continue to wow you. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've only had two Kimpton experiences...and both were in Chicago up to now. After reading the reviews of this hotel, I chose it over the many other Kimptons in Washington simply because it offered the most square footage in a room for 4 people for 3 nights.
The location was absolutely amazing. So close to good restaurants, the metro, the market.
As mentioned by some previous guests, there was construction going on outside right in front of the hotel. It did start at 7:30...on a Saturday too! It would have been a really nice touch on the hotel's part to supply ear plugs in the room as I have experienced at other hotels when work is going on in or around the hotel.
At check in, Kiah was a very patient and helpful person. She answered all questions knowledgeably And, she never lost her smile. Fernando was another amazing person who deserves mention. His enthusiasm, his warmth and his energy were infectious!
The teeny tiny reception area was a bit of a shock, although I had read about it on tripadvisor earlier. It was so small, I was trying to figure out how they had the wine hour. Well, it turns out that if everyone stands very close to one another, it somehow works out. It is unfortunate this cannot be moved into the restaurant to allow more space.
So on to the hotel itself. There are 2 elevators that can take you to your room. Facing the elevators, the one on the left absolutely STINKS. I couldn't put my finger on what it stank like, but it was extremely unpleasant. The one on the right doesn't stink, but it seems to be the slower of the two.
The room we had had two queen beds and was very spacious. The beds were SUPER comfortable, and the room was very clean. The bathroom, as mentioned in other reviews, was absolutely tiny! Imagine with 4 adult women in the room! The bathroom itself really only housed the bathtub/shower and the toilet...barely....you almost had to back into. Thankfully the sink area was outside of the actual bathroom. That was convenient.
Two things that bothered me about this room:
#1 - on top of the credenza where the tv was, there was a glass protector right under the tv. It was a massive piece of glass, I'll grant you that. But, it looked like it had been cleaned with a rag that had some kind of cleaning fluid, that left a white film. The entire piece of glass was covered with this film. It was disgusting.
#2 - I had clearly ordered the room for 4 people. The bathroom for the entire stay, only had towels for 3 people. Three hand towels, three face cloths, three bath towels. We left a note after our first night and asked for extra towels. Of course there were 3 sets of towels waiting for us in the evening. Not 4.
Yes, it's always the small things.
Overall, it was an okay hotel. Worth the price? Not really. Worth going back? I'd try one of the other Kimptons in town first.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear AnitaM155019, thank you so much for the detailed feedback. We definately need to have this level of feedback to better the visits of you and our other Guests. I am definately truly apologetic for the items you mentioned. The cleanliness of the room is of utmost importance to us. Sounds like we unfortunately missed on a few of our standards during your visit. I am sorry for this. We will review your feedback to fix the items you mentioned. Please dont let this deter you from coming back to the Madera when we corerct the issues. Thank you again for your patience and feedback, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Kimpton-managed Madera Hotel, just off of DuPont Circle is perfectly located, just blocks from the METRO station, and within walking distance of Georgetown in one direction, and the
White House in the opposite direction. Just avoid allowing yourself to be booked into
either room # 201 or #202 on the second floor, because they're separated by only a movable
partition, which isn't noise-proof. If you're anywhere else in the Hotel, you'll be happy. The staff at the Madera Hotel is the most helpful, most pleasant crew of Hotel professionals I've encountered; they're genuinely friendly, and totally on top of their guest-services. Stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello Nan Q, what a great review!! Service, location, helpful tips! Great great great! We cant than kyou enough for staying with us. Please come back and visit soon!! Thansk again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Roswell, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at Madera for 5 days on a business trip and it was well worth it. Kiah checked us in, she was the highlight of our experience. Nicole was fantastic too. They were uber friendly and gave great recommendations on local places to go. The valet or bellman - Fernando was delightful. If I could return to give him a hug every day I would. Every morning he was there with a smile, and when he wasn't - we missed him. :) The rooms were fantastic. Decor was fresh and colourful. Despite the construction on New Hampshire Ave, we did not encounter any noise problems. Definitely recommend this property. Beds were great, they were not too springy and not to firm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Pinkwasabi42, a fantastic visit and a fantastic review written by you. Thank you!!! I will definately let Nicole and Fernando know about your feedback. They are wonderful employees and Guest favorites. Thanks again for the review and we want you to visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!