“Hotel Madera - wonderful stay in Washington DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #26 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Hotel Madera - wonderful stay in Washington DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am a regular traveler to Washington DC for business and for the past several years have stayed at the Hotel Madera. Great hotel, wonderful staff. I appreciate that the same staff are there after several years, which says a lot about management. Rooms are clean and I love the extras like the comfy beds, soft terrycloth robes, down pillows, wine in the lobby between 5 and 6 pm, and the great service. The daily delivery of newspaper outside my room each morning is great. Dupont Circle is a great place to stay, good restaurants nearby. The Firefly, at the hotel itself, is superb!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hello ABE03, we can't thank you enough for being so loyal to the Hotel Madera for so many years. THANK YOU!!! We truly hope you love the new look of the Hotel and Firefly! Thanks for the great review and heres to many years to come, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My daughter and I were in town visiting universities and stayed for 3 nights. It was really cold in D.C. and it was a pleasure each time we returned to the hotel! We found smiling faces, warm greetings, and even hot apple cider in the afternoon. The staff is great and everyone was very helpful. I barely noticed the renovations that were underway. The restaurant was very good also. We went for breakfast one morning and dinner one evening. Both times we thought the menu had nice selections, the food was very good and the service was excellent!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jeanie V, thanks for staying with us during your daughters college search. We hope she chose one of the great universities nearby the Madera so we can have you as our Guests for the next 4 years!!! Thanks for the review, Modi Ahmed General Manager
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

There's construction outside, and renovation inside... and still it was a delightful stay. We had a fair number of mishaps due to the renovation, but each was so minor I wouldn't want to even mention them. Still, the staff was lovely and helpful with each issue and on their own, presumably because they felt badly that we had repeated problems, they insisted on comping our stay. I don't know what more you could ask and we will be delighted to stay there on our next trip. And while all the staff was lovely, my young daughters would definitely want me to give a shout out to Fernando who made them giggle from the minute he helped them out of the car. By the way, the room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit cramped but served our needs. And we had a nice brunch on Sunday at Firefly, the hotel's restaurant. Room service wasn't available late so we ventured into the cold for a treat... something to keep in mind if you're a late night snacker.

Room Tip: Our room had a treadmill, which would have been nice had we been prepared.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear sweetgirl236, thank you so much for your patience during our renovation and the city street construction. It can at times be a little disruptive. But the good news is we are finishing our lovely renovation this week! The new rooms look great! I hope you got to stay in one during your visit. If not, that means you need to return! Yes, Fernando is a rock star and a comedian. Everyone loves him! Thanks for the review and please visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Wonderful place & great staff. They allow pets and although we didn't have one the dogs we met in and out of the lobby did not cause one sound or any issues. Lobby is small and there is a lot of interaction w guests. It made it fun - coffee, morning papers, free wine at end of day all in this gathering area

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Lisa B, thanks for writing the review!! Yes, free wine in the lobby helps provide some fun in our lobby at the end of the day. I'm excited to see you would absolutely stay again. I'm holding you to that so we cant wait to see you again. See you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The location is good for Metro and local food. The room we had was very good and spacious although bathroom a bit tight ( not a deal breaker for us). We had 4 nights.
Staff very good (Kiah was extremely good).
Firefly restaurant is a real bonus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gibbo33, thanks for posting a review of your visit all the way from Australia! So great to have you stay at the Madera during your visit to Washington. Thank you that your bathroom size didnt break the deal. And bigger thanks in letting us know that Kiah at the Front Desk providied with great service. She is a real asset to the Hotel. Thanks again for the review. Modi Ahmed General Manager
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a business trip. I was already impressed by the pre-arrival reminders and emails I received from the hotel. It's not easy to tell from the exterior that it is a hotel, because the restaurant takes up most of the realty out front. I was a little surprised and confused about the lobby because there was on a small podium for check-in and then a large table and a couch which was occupied by guests taking advantage of the free wine reception. I was checked in right away and offered a glass of wine to take with me. Room service was fast (20 minutes!) and the food was good. The location was very convenient to the metro and Dupont Circle area. Someone charged a restaurant meal to my room and when I complained at check out, they immediately removed it from my bill. I was impressed by this hotel and will probably stay there again! The only downsides include the lobby being incredibly small - I had to stand against the wall as people walked by through the door - for the wine reception. Also, the room had evidence of needing some upgrades with small bits of wallpaper peeling and gouges out of the wood vanity. The toilet/shower room could also use a larger space - it was difficult getting in and out and closing the door. Overall, I would recommend this hotel and will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street - otherwise you hear the restaurant staff taking out the garbage at...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello getupandgofar, thank you so much for the recommendation. Yes, we are smaller than most Hotels. But like the old saying 'size doesnt matter." We feel as though our smaller size gives us an advantage to really create wonderful personal epxereicnes with our Guests. I hope you experienced this and do return soon. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I find Kimpton to be an interesting group of hotels; although increasingly I find their brand values inconsistent.

I like the way they innovate; with options like the new eStandby Upgrade program providing a low cost way to access their premium inventory, if it is unsold. Equally the InTouch loyalty program provides benefits that make joining a no-brainer, free internet access and a $10 mini bar credit are both welcome and mean I will usually check if there is a Kimpton in any US city I visit.

This is fine, if you are only booking half a dozen US trips a year; but as I spend increasing amounts of time travelling in America, the absence of an intermediate loyalty level is a frustration and having gained such a status with a couple of other schemes, now challenges loyalty to Kimpton. Unfortunately the company don't yet have the coverage in terms of locations, offered by a major chain, so I am unlikely to be able to reach the 15 stays or 45 nights for Inner Circle status, based on their current footprint.

When it comes to their hotels whilst many venues are outstanding others, at least in terms of the actual accommodation, fall a long way short of their normal standards. Amongst the uber chic Ink 48 in Hell's kitchen and Epic in Miami as well as modern boutique venues like The Muse in New York and Hotel Palomar in DC, there are a number of locations that would politely be described as tired and needing work, to bring them up to the benchmark the group usually achieves. Hotel Monaco in San Francisco and this establishment the Hotel Madera are obvious examples.

On arrival the reception area gives an impression of being just too small and there is only space for a single guest to check in at one time. This immediately creates a claustrophobic impression and it sadly lacks the character and panache of many Kimpton lobbies. This is more like the entrance for a small serviced apartment complex, rather than a boutique hotel. The space needs something to deliver a certain, je ne sais quoi, to make it more engaging.

I took advantage of the standby upgrade to take a balcony room, given it was cold and windy December day, this was more for the additional space than the balcony itself. The main room was spacious with a large desk, occasional chair and a large couch.

In contrast the bathroom was a bizarre arrangement, with the hand basin being opposite a hanging space, outside the bathroom itself, which in turn is just too small for the bath and toilet together. The space would have been far more practical as a wet area with a shower behind a glass partition to separate the space from the WC. It is clear that a small amount of money has been spent in this area e.g. new taps for bath, shower and movement sensitive lights, but this renovation could have been better thought out.

Room service hours are very limited and certainly not in line with normal practice within the group. The Firefly restaurant is without doubt the jewel in the crown of the Madera, even if the rest of that crown could do with a polish. See my separate review on Firefly for more detail on this delightful place, which excels with both its cuisine and its libations.

It was suggested to me that a more compact room service menu is under consideration. Personally I'd consider this a retrograde step. Such a change would be OK perhaps for a 24 hour room service option but given the strength of the restaurant I think it would be a shame to limit what is available during restaurant hours.

Room service that finishes at 9:30 and that only Monday to Friday does not really fit with the brand proposition offered by most of the group.

Like so many Kimptons TV choice was via LodgeNet, although on this occasion HBO was included. I have found restrictions in the LodgeNet service an annoyance in other of their establishments although I gather these may be phased out in the near future. This would be good for their customers. If LodgeNet’s bankruptcy gives Kimpton the chance to exit this arrangement I for one would welcome it.

There were a few other small points which suggest this abode has yet to benefit from the full Kimpton touch, dated and more disconcertingly, loud, air based heating together with an unusual intercom wireless phone, that I just could not work out. Overall it is a strangely constructed building an Kimpton face obvious challenges in converting this to an hotel which is consistent with their particular style.

I had a very unfortunate incident with the mini-bar attendant, who despite my telling him I had not used anything, insisted on inspecting the equipment. Yes I had looked because I had a "Raid the mini bar" card provided as part of the groups loyalty plan, but just because you consider the options, is it right that a guest’s honesty is questioned? So much to it being an honour bar!

To be fair, on raising this with the management they were clearly appalled and moved swiftly to address the situation. Apparently this service is outsourced and the local team were clear they would ensure no repetition. In my experience, with occasional exceptions, Kimpton benefit from a quality management team who do listen to their customers and genuinely appreciate feedback.

Perhaps Hotel Madera has been recently acquired by Kimpton and has yet to have the full make over, whatever the reason I can't help thinking they should perhaps establish a junior brand to identify where the full Kimpton experience is not in place, that said for all its curiosities the hotel offers good value for money if you know what to expect.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the In Touch loyalty program and check out the eStandby upgrades
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear ianx1london, Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. We take honest comments from people like you very seriously. It pains us to hear the not-so good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve! I truly apologize that this visit did not meet your Kimpton expectations. I would love to speak to you further about this, please contact me at modi.ahmed@hotelmadera.com so we can discuss all of your comments in detail. Thank you for your patience and I look forward to speaking with your further. Sincerely, Modi Ahmed