“Great staff and a great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $10
Ranked #15 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great staff and a great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Hotel was in a great location and the staff was amazing. I would suggest staying here especially if the rate is reasonable. The property is very close to Dupont Circle and you couldn't ask for better service. The building is a bit worn but alas they are getting a renovation in a couple of months.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and a balcony room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Brian E, great review! happy your visit was great and you found the staff amazing. Yes, we are going through a renovation soon! We are so excited!! Please come back and visit so you can see all the wonderful changes! Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Having stayed at Kimpton properties in the past I kinda knew what to expect as far as interesting interiors and good clean accommodation goes, but I have to say the staff and service here is the best I´ve ever seen. They go way beyond the average call of duty and actually make your stay that much better. They are friendly and genuine and will help you with whatever questions or problems you have. I requested a feather pillow and within minutes it was delivered to my door with a big smile and the girl also asked if there was anything else she could help me with. The rooms here are big and although the bathrooms are a little tight it did not cause a problem. Location is great and the restaurant serves really excellent food. A good price for what you get.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Jodie P, I am ecstatic to read that you think of all the Kimpton Hotels you've stayed at the Madera provides the best service you've seen. WOW!!!! We may be a smaller Hotel but that doesnt stop us from creating great experiences for our Guests. So happy you were able to eat in our Firefly restaurant as well. Thank you again Jodie P, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Wife and I spoiled ourselves for a weekend at the Madera in the DuPont Circle area. Very nice staff, nice rooms. Definitely ask for the balcony rooms, upper floors if possible, which face the street and have floor to ceiling windows. I understand the rear room have a nice view also, but we didn't see them. We were there on a slow weekend and so were able to both check-in early and leave late. We appreciated that, some places will not allow it even if they have the rooms available and ready. The wine reception was just ok since there is not a lobby to speak of, just a hallway by the front door. The place makes the most of what they have available at a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello sociallyliving, thank you so much for deciding to stay at the Madera during you and your wifes special weekend getaway! You deserve to be spoiled! I beleive the Madera does make use of our smaller size to the Guests advantage. It lets us provide that level of service not tpyical of larger Hotels. Thanks again for the review and do visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I'm a member of Kimpton's InTouch loyalty program, which comes with some nice perks. I've stayed at a few of their properties around the US. But, the service I received from the Madera staff tops them all...

First, I received a call from the hotel (can't remember her name) a few days before my arrival as a courtesy call. She wanted to know if there was anything the hotel could do to make my arrival any better? To that I said, yes! I told her that I would be arriving in the evening after a long flight and a little snack and beverage in the room would be nice. She asked what kind of snack would I like. I responded with, how about cheese and crackers with a cold bottle of spring water. She said it would be her pleasure and she closed the call with have a good flight.

Fast forward a few days to my arrival. The hotel lobby is small and shares the space with their Firefly restaurant. But, it's DC and with space a constraint who needs a HUGE lobby. Check in was quick and effecient. The front desk staff used by name many times and made me feel welcomed. Next, off to my room. Good news, the rooms are not like the lobby. Rooms are very large and have a modern whimsical flare. The whimsical flare should have been my first clue to what I'd likely receive as a welcome plate of cheese and crackers. So, what did I receive? Cheesy Goldfish crackers and a cold bottle of Evian water. Classic! It made me smile and tells me the hotel doesn't take themselves too serious. LOVE IT!

Overall the hotel feels old, and from other posts sounds like it was previously an apartment building. Oh well, as long as it's clean, well maintained and service is great...who cares.

If you're in DC and close to Dupont Circle stay at Madera. The service will make you come back again and again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear MPLS_MN_Traveler, wow, we topped all the Kimptons you've stayed at!? That means so much!!!!! Thank you for being a Kimpton loyalist and BIG thank you for writing your review! I am thrilled we provided the level of service you deserve. Thanks again and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed at the Madera for a girls weekend get-away. Every year at Christmas time about 4 of my girlfriends get together for what we call a staycation. We all live in the DC metro area, but rarely get to do the things that tourists do. So, at Christmas we book a great area hotel, break out the fancy clothes, make reservations at a high end restaurant, and generally treat ourselves royally!

This year we stayed at the Madera. It is an adorable boutique hotel. The rooms are quite large and lovely. Bathrooms are a bit small, but it is an older building so not unusual. Certainly not a deal breaker. Location near DuPont Circle is perfect. We arrived just in time for the 5 o'clock happy hour with free wine that was held in the lobby. Took great advantage of that :-)
Had a wonderful dinner at the Obelisk (I'll do a review on that soon). On Saturday we had a very nice brunch at the Firefly restaurant which is on-site. We all had a different meal and then we shared a French Toast as a dessert!

All together a wonderful stay......the Madera will not disappoint.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room - less street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello BooyahBaby! You and your girlfriends sound like you had a blast!! What a great idea to do a DC staycation! Certainly glad we did not your disappoint. I hope you stay at the Madera for all your DC staycations. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Lebanon, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I spent two nights in this former apartment building which has been converted into a Kimpton boutique hotel, two blocks from Dupont Circle. My room, facing the back of the building on a high floor, had no noise, and a great view of the National Cathedral and more. It was quite large -- it appears to have been a studio apartment in a previous life, but it's now outfitted in classic Kimpton style, with an amazingly comfortable bed and all the amenities you'd expect from Kimpton (animal print robes, bright orange umbrella, minibar, etc)

The sink was outside the bathroom door; the bathroom itself had just enough room for the toilet and tub. The tub/shower is not very wide; neither am I, but if you are, you might find the bathroom a bit cramped.

I appreciated the eco-friendly practices, including the soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower rather than mini plastic bottles, but it took a lot of pumping to get anything to come out of the dispensers.

The staff in the small lobby/entranceway were very accommodating and service-oriented (printing boarding passes, calling taxis, extending my check out time, etc.), although some seemed a little less experienced and polished than at other Kimpton hotels where I've stayed. Waitstaff in the restaurant was very accommodating and helpful; food was excellent; all maintenance and housekeeping staff who I met in the hallways or elevators were beyond friendly.

The two small elevators were a bit slow and one of them had a door that was quite unforgiving for those in the lobby awaiting a ride upstairs -- on more than one occasion, by the time everyone coming down got out, the door was closing and would not reopen to take guests upstairs, no matter how hard we pushed the button or tried to hold the door physically, but a staff member came running and wedged himself into the closing door and pushed the "open door" button from the inside and saved the day; once I learned that trick, I practiced it for others.

I found the Kimpton secret password on Facebook and used it on check-in and was given my choice of a free continental breakfast (which I opted for and which says "no substitutions" on it and on the menu, but the waitstaff offered me $7.50 discount off my bill if I used the coupon for breakfast off the menu) , free parking, a free cocktail, or an additional raid the minibar coupon.

This is the third Kimpton Hotel I've stayed at in Washington (including the Helix and the Hotel Rouge). I would gladly stay at any of the three again, though The Madera is more for grown ups than the Helix.

Room Tip: My eyes were itchy most of the time -- I think a pet was in that room recently; this hasn't been...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear PoblanoJ, truly appreciate you writing such an extensiive review of your visit! I thank you for being such a Kimpton fan and visiting many of our properties like us and the Helix. i'm thrilled you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for mentioning a few things we can work on, like the elevator. We will correct for your next visit. Thanks again and we will hopefully see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Sacramento, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel Madera five times in the past six weeks. it is an amazing little hotel. The rooms are big. Bathrooms are small and unrenovated but that is absolutely the only issue with this hotel. Aaron at the front desk, Fernando the bellman, Christie in the bar and the gentleman who serves breakfast every day are all very professional, delightful and just a breath of fresh air compared to the stiff, non-personal attention I am accustomed to in many other branded hotels. As a frequent traveler, I don't always write reviews but in this case, these guys deserve it as their service is over the top. I also witnessed several other frequent travelers who I recognized week after week. It is clear, these guys know service and that's why it is so comforting for weary business travelers to come back. I recommend this hotel for leisure or business.

Room Tip: I highly recommend upgrading to a fitness room. They will put a treadmill and yoga pack in your roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello JetsetManager, I am so thankful you were willing to write a review of your several visits to the Madera!! You are now a convert to the wonderful service the Madera provides! Thank you for recognizing some of our rockstar Employees! Please do visit again real soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!