“Went back to the Hood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off Parking!
Ranked #30 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Went back to the Hood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Used to live in the neighborhood in the 80's and so I was quite familiar with the surroundings. I must admit Sniqueaway is a godsend because I like to escape within the city and don't worry about getting a cab home. Madera was quite comfortable and relatively quiet. I was most taken with the balcony because it saved me a trip down the elevator just to smoke. I didn't like having to fill out Kimpton's stay in touch application just to get complimentary internet so I punted that idea (besides I have my phone if pressed). I got the double queen which my friend found very comfortable as well. Parking I knew was going to be a problem in DuPont Circle but surprise surpriise a spot opened up after 7 minutes circling the block. I especially liked the honor bar emptied out at my request when the requested refrigerator didn't show.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello BlackBear49, welcome back to your old hood! It's great to reminisce and see your old stomping grounds. Great luck on the parking space opening up. Thanks for the great review and please visit the neighborhood again soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

677 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the madera a few months ago for a wedding. My trip to dc started off terribly from the moment I stepped off the plane. Hour-long taxi drives, missing the rehearsal dinner, minor car accident were just a few of the terrible incidents that took place that morning. I arrived at the madera exhausted, and I got a phonecall from my friends that they found another hotel an hr away closer to the wedding. I asked the manager if I could cancel and explained to him my situation. He was very calm, understanding, and knew how much anxiety I was feeling - he let me cancel. Keep reading, it gets better. As I started walking out of the hotel I noticed I didn't have my suitcase. Thinking to myself that I left it in my room for the two minutes of checking in, I asked for the key back - no suitcase to be found. I left my bags in the taxi that dropped me off. At that point I burst into tears. I had flagged down the taxi, so I didn't know shock taxi it was. The staff members took action IMMEDIATELY. the manager and his team went to the camera room and looked for HOURS at video footage outside to try to find a clip if the taxi number and company. Thankfully, I was able to call all the taxi companies and they pages all the drivers. Keep reading, it gets better. When my suitcase arrived, one of the front desk receptionists ran out and got my bag for me. The taxi told him it was going to be 20 dollars because he had to drive it back, and the worker gave him 20 dollars of his own money!! He said to me, "trust me, it's the least I could do, you had a terrible day." Keep reading it gets better. I thought things were looking up, and then received a call from my friend telling me not to cancel! I walked back to the hotel and was really embarrassed at this point because the staff had already done do much. I explained, and he graciously gave me my key back and told me to rest up. Never in my life have I met such genuine, caring, and kind people. I have never written a review, but was compelled to do so because this hotel deserves all if the credit and praise it can get. I am truly thankful that they were so understanding and helpful. The hotel is beautiful, meticulously clean, and the location is prime. Do yourself a favor, stay here - the price was ridiculously affordable and the quality was top notch. Thank you to the staff at hotel madera for truly making my disaster of am experience to dc more tolerable.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear dakota85739, Wow! What an ordeal to start your trip to Washington! I can't express to you how thankful I am that our Team showed you such genuine care and service to make your difficult situation more bearable. We truly want to provide a level of service from the heart. I am glad in the end it all worked out. My sincere thanks for writing the review. Please do come to visit the Madera again. Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel came as a surprise since we are used to staying at the big chains. Very well-priced, clean, quiet, very friendly staff. Rooms are a good size, but bathroom i.e. toilet and shower are small. Sink is outside the bathroom and roomy enough. Great restaurants nearby, an easy walk. No need to eat at the hotel, a few blocks away is great fish, mediterranean, Greek, steak, etc. As for location, around the corner from the south entrance to the Dupont Circle Metro and a good walk to the Mall, Georgetown, etc. I would recommend it highly. Thought about the Palomar, a sister hotel but we did not need the exercise room or a pool or a lobby so why pay extra for things we didn't need.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello realproperty, surpise surprise! The Madera has won you over! So glad that our staff, location, and Hotel were able to make you convert. We cant wait to have you return! Thanks, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a great place to stay in busy D.C. Great place to relax and unwind. Staff is superb. Food at Firefly is wonderful and well priced. Plus, as a vegetarian, I actually had some great choices.

Great to stay in a boutique hotel where things are personal and not cookie-cutter. I look forward to having unique experiences when I travel. Kimpton hotels definitely delivers!

Very enjoyable. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: So nice to have a spacious room with a sofa and a balcony. Truly wonderful!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello kk4travel, what a great recommendation! Thank you! BIG thank you for being such a fan of the Madera and Kimpton Hotels. Personalized service and unique experiences is what sets us apart. Thanks and see you soon, Modi Ahmed
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our stay here was a belated birthday gift for me and we took our dogs along as well. The dogs are definitely huge fans since they were greeted with treats and attention, two things they can't get enough of. The room was large and comfortable, although our view was of the HVAC system. However, it was dog ready with bowls and dog beds so the view didn't matter that much to us. We also appreciated being on the second floor which made taking them in and out for walks a simple task. All in all, a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Although we truly appreciated being on a lower level room, we might ask next time for a room with a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nancyl50, thanks for staying with us to celebrate your birthday!!! I'm so happy that we were able to make your visit with the dogs special and comfortable for you all. A few treats goes a long with the dogs! Happy belated birthday and please bring the dogs back anytime!! Modi Ahmed General Manager
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has a cool, but not too cool, urban vibe. The rooms are stylish and comfortable, with a well stocked mini bar. The bar and restaurant are fun. American comfort food and great cocktails. The wifi is very fast, which is really important or business travellers these days. The staff training must be great because these guys couldn't be more friendly or helpful. Great neighbourhood too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Benvorlich, another happy convert to the Hotel Madera and Kimpton Hotels!!! We're thrilled th location and service exceeded your standards! Thanks for writing a wonderful review, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Columbia SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

When I arrived by taxi on business travel, I had too much luggage to handle both the entrance doors and my luggage easily by myself. Madera employee Raymond came jogging out to make sure I had help getting in the hotel. Thanks, Raymond. That's a nice way to be greeted! Kiah at the front desk was exceptionally helpful at check-in (and told me she and other Kimpton employees were doing the AIDS Walk in DC today -- go Kimpton!). Both her and Raymond are as good as it gets when it comes to hotel front desk employees. Thank you for your patience, friendliness and hospitality.

My room is very similar to the one I had at The Rouge, another Kimpton property in DC -- layout, size, etc. Location is also A+. I had an easy walk to Hank's Oyster Bar and to Whole Foods. The bathroom is a bit small, but one of the facilities staff told me that room renovations are planned in the near future (and that might affect bathroom size, room layout, etc.). My room was clean and quiet.

I ate at Firefly, the hotel's restaurant, and I was also wowed with customer service there. I sat at a seat in the bar that allowed for a view into the kitchen, which I enjoyed a lot. It was like a real life Top Chef viewing experience. My servers at the bar were attentive but not pesky; they allowed me to taste wines before ordering, advised me with ordering and took A+ care of me. Try the peanut butter ice cream sandwich dessert! Delicious.

With each stay at a Kimpton property, I find myself more wowed with Kimpton hotels, in general. Thank you to Kiah and Raymond and to the bar staff who took such good care of me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear gamecockgirl, we've always felt we were at the top of the class but an A+!? Thank you!!!! I'm so glad every part of your visit, from the room, to the Staff, to the restaurant was a great experience for you. Thank you so much for your review!!! See you soon and Go Cocks!! Modi Ahmed General Manager

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!