“Our dogs were as welcome as we were” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off Parking!
Ranked #24 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Our dogs were as welcome as we were”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our stay here was a belated birthday gift for me and we took our dogs along as well. The dogs are definitely huge fans since they were greeted with treats and attention, two things they can't get enough of. The room was large and comfortable, although our view was of the HVAC system. However, it was dog ready with bowls and dog beds so the view didn't matter that much to us. We also appreciated being on the second floor which made taking them in and out for walks a simple task. All in all, a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Although we truly appreciated being on a lower level room, we might ask next time for a room with a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Nancyl50, thanks for staying with us to celebrate your birthday!!! I'm so happy that we were able to make your visit with the dogs special and comfortable for you all. A few treats goes a long with the dogs! Happy belated birthday and please bring the dogs back anytime!! Modi Ahmed General Manager

699 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has a cool, but not too cool, urban vibe. The rooms are stylish and comfortable, with a well stocked mini bar. The bar and restaurant are fun. American comfort food and great cocktails. The wifi is very fast, which is really important or business travellers these days. The staff training must be great because these guys couldn't be more friendly or helpful. Great neighbourhood too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Benvorlich, another happy convert to the Hotel Madera and Kimpton Hotels!!! We're thrilled th location and service exceeded your standards! Thanks for writing a wonderful review, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Columbia SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

When I arrived by taxi on business travel, I had too much luggage to handle both the entrance doors and my luggage easily by myself. Madera employee Raymond came jogging out to make sure I had help getting in the hotel. Thanks, Raymond. That's a nice way to be greeted! Kiah at the front desk was exceptionally helpful at check-in (and told me she and other Kimpton employees were doing the AIDS Walk in DC today -- go Kimpton!). Both her and Raymond are as good as it gets when it comes to hotel front desk employees. Thank you for your patience, friendliness and hospitality.

My room is very similar to the one I had at The Rouge, another Kimpton property in DC -- layout, size, etc. Location is also A+. I had an easy walk to Hank's Oyster Bar and to Whole Foods. The bathroom is a bit small, but one of the facilities staff told me that room renovations are planned in the near future (and that might affect bathroom size, room layout, etc.). My room was clean and quiet.

I ate at Firefly, the hotel's restaurant, and I was also wowed with customer service there. I sat at a seat in the bar that allowed for a view into the kitchen, which I enjoyed a lot. It was like a real life Top Chef viewing experience. My servers at the bar were attentive but not pesky; they allowed me to taste wines before ordering, advised me with ordering and took A+ care of me. Try the peanut butter ice cream sandwich dessert! Delicious.

With each stay at a Kimpton property, I find myself more wowed with Kimpton hotels, in general. Thank you to Kiah and Raymond and to the bar staff who took such good care of me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear gamecockgirl, we've always felt we were at the top of the class but an A+!? Thank you!!!! I'm so glad every part of your visit, from the room, to the Staff, to the restaurant was a great experience for you. Thank you so much for your review!!! See you soon and Go Cocks!! Modi Ahmed General Manager
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

On my last trip to DC a couple of years ago, I stayed at the Palomar, another Kimpton property and was very happy there. In fact, I stayed there twice. Thought I would try another of their hotels on a recent visit a few weeks ago. This time I was very disappointed. The room was tattered: the lamp on the desk had a torn shade and the chair had a big stain on it. In addition, the bathroom was literally a closet with only a tub and toilet. The sink was located on the other side of the bathroom door. For $300+ a night, I expected more. Would not go back there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Maryanne15, I'm so sorry your room quality was not up to yours or our standards. We should have done a better job inspecting your room. We pride ourselves on great service and a comfortable room product. I'm so sorry we fell short of your expectations. I do thank you for your feedback and patience. We will be renovating the Guest rooms in early 2013. We are very excited about this and know the new product will exceed your expectations. Sincerest apologies, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The staff is helpful and friendly. The location perfect. The restaurant, Firefly, served excellent meals. The accommodations were splendid and clean. And while I first thought the animal print robes in the closet had been left by a previous guest, I appreciated the encouragement to explore my "wild side," while in DC. Unfortunately, New Hampshire Ave is being "fixed." This made it hard to get to the hotel and despite my room being on the 7th floor, I was awakened by the sound of constuction each morning! I'm not sure when the construction noises actually stopped because there seemed to be traffic noises from bigger trucks all night long!
This was my first stay in a Kimpton hotel, but hopefully not my last.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello stillinLOVEsince84, I am so thankful for your patience during the construction of New Hampshire Ave. Of course this is construction coming from the city. But the good news is that the construction has moved up the block and not at the front of the Hotel! When the project is complete New Hampshire Ave will have a new paving, light poles, sidewalks, and trees! A pretty new street. Thanks for the review and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am a Kimpton Devotee and I believe this one to be among my new favorites. Especially after leaving this terrific little hotel and heading to the Muse Hotel in NYC ( another Kimpton property) where the difference a front desk reception or a genuine smile from the valet can really set the tone for any good hotel stay. Serously , each and every employee of this hotel and the attached Firefly restaurant was helpful, friendly and professional. Thank you very much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear reach4distance, Wow! We do pride ourselves on giving warm and personable service, and it sounds like we have made a Madera fan for life! Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton and we cant wait to have you back at the Madera again! See you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

About 5 years ago, I stayed at the Madera, and at that time, enjoyed my stay. The hotel was newer, modern and clean. This time, however, the place looked in need of a renovation and service was severely lacking. I was puzzled why the hotel has maintained such a high rating on this site.

The room design looks dated and worn: think attempting to be a hip boutique hotel but kind of missing the mark with weird animal prints and cheapish Ikea furnishings. The hotel has "popcorn" ceilings, beat-up furniture and the carpet is spent. Our white bed sheets had stains on them: while I think (hope) they were clean, they appeared to be faded stains that were never fully bleached or washed out. I called housekeeping the next day to have them change the sheets, but that message never got through to the housekeeping staff … the sheets stayed in placed for the weekend. In fact, the guy who was in charge of housekeeping seemed a bit out of sorts: I called for a couple of minor requests (two extra pillows and a coffeemaker) and he seemed very impatient and not too friendly. Unsure why they removed the coffeemakers from the rooms … especially as the coffee provided in the lobby is staged for a very brief time in the early morning and the paper cups are about 2 oz. Furthermore, the lobby afternoon “wine social” was never evident the weekend we were there … and never mentioned at check-in … unless this is a service they no longer provide (?)

We had a balcony room but, it did not have any furniture on it.

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant one night. The food was decent but. the service was confused and not consistent with the prices charged. On two occasions, the wrong food came to the table. We had to wait about 45 minutes for our reserved table.

Overall, while the hotel is in a great location, it has seen better days from both a physical and service standpoint. For the money (certainly not an inexpensive hotel), I would stay somewhere else – next time ... not worth the pricetag. I am afraid that Tripadvisor was off the mark this time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Micknyny, Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. We take honest comments from people like you very seriously. It pains us to hear the not-so good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve! I appreciate your comments about the room quality. The good news is that we will be undergoing a full rooms renovation in the beginning of 2013. This includes all guest rooms and hallways. We are thrilled about this and know our Guests will be too. The service issues noted are something we will look into to correct. As you can see by other Tripadvisor reviews, our service is sometihng we pride ourselves on. Your issues noted are certainly not the norm for us. My sincerest apologies. Micknyny, we won’t fail you twice. We’ll work extra hard to make your stays much more enjoyable in the future. Sincerely, Modi Ahmed

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!