“Spacious, comfortable room in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Madera, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Madera, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Madera, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off Parking!
Ranked #29 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Syracuse, New York
“Spacious, comfortable room in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Visiting on business, I appreciated the comfort of the room, the friendliness of the staff and the nearness to the DC Metro. DuPont Circle is a wonderful place to be with an abundance of eateries, shops and ambiance. The Hotel Madera provides an experience that is consistent with the Kimpton standard. The room was clean, surprisingly spacious, quiet and very relaxing. The wine hour included spiked cider and delicious samples of desserts from the Hotel's restaurant, the Firefly. I travelled with pets. The staff welcomed all of us and my dogs were uncommonly relaxed from the moment we arrived. No complaints at all.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you LolaLosa for posting such a great review of your visit! So happy you and the dogs had a wonderful visit.Even our 4-legged Guests are important to us. The spiked cider is a nice winter addidtion to our Wine Hour. Thank you again and we're looking forward to your next visit, Modi Ahmed General Manager.

676 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Hotel was nice with great personal attention, big rooms, and great location. There is a small list of negatives, however: the bathrooms are very tiny, the bathrobes were scratchy and seemed old, and most importantly, when I arrived back at 2am my room smelled like cigarettes. In the bathroom the smell was strongest and I could smell it coming in through the vent. The front desk manager came to investigate and promptly agreed the room smelled like cigarettes and moved me to an equivalent room. What was most annoying is that both he and the morning manager seemed to pass off the smell like it was nothing, and made no effort to really investigate the smell. I would think an upscale hotel would want to investigate why the hotel smells like smoke.

Room Tip: Request a balcony
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnElliot8, thank you so much for posting your review. I want to offer my apologies for the condition of the room and the Front Desks reaction. This occurence is pretty rare, and we take all Guest issues seriously to find the cause and rectify them to your satisfaction. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The next time you’re back in town, let me know! I would love the chance to personally make sure your next stay is an all-out success. Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

To be fair, we love Kimpton hotels and make an effort to stay at a Kimpton whenever possible. They are just kind of funky and fun. Their staff (at all of their hotels) are incredibly friendly and helpful. Their corporate culture is evident by the attitude of their staff.

As one would expect from a boutique hotel, the lobby of the Madera is small. But our room was surprising large - with a very comfy bed. The bathroom was small, but the sink/dressing area was outside of the bathroom, so that made it easy for us to coordinate getting ready each day.

The location is incredible. It is a 2 minute walk from the metro and restaurants at Dupont Circle.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello H0tlanta!! Thank you for the review and for being such a loyal Kimpton fan! We are definately funky and fun, and still providing warm and genuine service. The location is so easy to visit all the great spots in the neighborhood. Thanks again and hoe pto see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Madera hotel was the best hotel choice I could have made for my recent visit to DC. From check-in to check-out they were very helpful, the front desk suggested very good places to dine and also gave us a map of all the attractions in the DC area that we were interested in visiting and they even hailed cabs for my wife and I when we ventured out. I booked a special room rate of $109 a night and the parking for $1.00 more per night what a savings.The room was huge and we were given a room with a terrace(NICE) facing New Hampshire Ave. The rooms mini bar was well stocked and they even gave us a nice bottle of champagne to toast our special occasion and provided us with free passes for continental breakfast, because my wife and I were in town to celebrate. On sat. afternoon we also enjoyed the free wine tasting in the hotels lobby with some of the other guests.Wow this place sure knows how to treat it's patrons, I sooooo look foward to my next visit........

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pet free floor if you are not a pet person..........
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi James W, we are thrilled that you made the choice to stay with us. Sounds look you had a wonderful visit for your special occasion. We are glad that we could be a part of it. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was our 4th visit to the Madera. The staff is sincerely friendly and helpful - everyone! The neighborhood is wonderful - we always have our dog with us and love walking with him around Dupont Circle. It has an intimate feeling.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Hello klc112456, we wouldnt want you to stay anywhere else! Thanks for the great review, and we cant wait for your 5th visit! See you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

I love Kimpton hotels, I go out of my way to stay with them whenever possible. I did find my time at the madera a bit disappointing. The hotel is a bit cramped, especially upon arrival - more than one guest checking in at a time = chaos. The rooms, specifically the bathrooms were not up to the usual high standa of other Kimpton properties. I was also a bit disappointed with the lack of dog services at this location. We could not even get a dog walker. Also found it surprising that there was not bar/room service after ten. All in all still a good hotel - just not what I expect from a Kimpton, next time I am dc I will probably still with their sister hotel the Palomar, less than a block a way!

• Stayed December 2011
MaderaGM, General Manager at Madera, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Mnerlinger, thank you for being a loyal Kimpton guest! Our goal is to exceed the expectations for our Guests. I am truly sorry the Hotel facility was a bit cramped than some other Kimpton Hotels. we are definately a smaller footprint of a building compared to others, yes the Palomar is larger and more public space. The other side of the coin is that some Guests love the coziness and charm of the smaller space. I do truly appreciate the feedback and thank you for being loyal to Kimpton. Modi Ahmed, General Manager
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I always feel welcome by the many familiar faces at the Madera. The staff are uniformly warm and helpful--never any 5-star attitude. They are accommodating of special requests like pet-free floor and early arrival, and they demonstrate a real appreciation of loyal InTouch members. Perfect location if you want Dupont Circle--I routinely walk to the Kennedy Center--and one of the best Kimpton-affiliated restaurants, Firefly.
As a solo traveler, I don't need the expansive public spaces others crave, but the lobby is tiny. So why not have a drink at Firefly? If you book the right rate, you'll get one free!

Room Tip: Request pet-free floor away from elevator
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear ProfessorK_NewYork, We love to hear guests say "it felt like home“ in our hotel. So glad you got that feeling. We’d let you move right in, if we could! Thanks again, Modi Ahmed, General Manager.

Been to Madera, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!