“Simple and Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1615 Rhode Island Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Formerly The Governor's House Hotel) (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #86 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Simple and Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Wrote my first review about the Beacon in January and it was never publish. Well this is a very fine property. Everything during my stay was nice. The staff, the room the location was fabulous. Parking is expensive $35. Kingsley is very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SteveRipai, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
We would like to express our sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to share with everyone how much you enjoyed the Beacon Hotel. We will also make sure to let Kingsley know about the positive impact he made during your stay. We look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.

829 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Turkish first
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

First time trip with friends to DC. My stay was from Feb 15- the 18th. Our room was clean check in and check out was very easy. I have nothing bad to say about the staff at this hotel. Beyond friendly which just makes the stay even better. More then willing to really accommodate you and your needs and very helpful with recommending places to eat around the neighborhood. There is a great bar and restaurant downstairs. Food was delicious and drinks were very reasonable just wish the bar/lounge was open later. My room was right next to the ice machine so it got a little noisy with people getting ice. It was pretty cold so we just slept with the window open. Hotel is willing to hold luggage for you if your flight is later in the evening. I'm already planning a return trip and plan to stay here. I know the hotel industry very well so its always great to have a pleasant experience when you go on vacation. I only wish they had free Internet and maybe a refrigerator in the room. Other then that an overall great stay at The Beacon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Beacon Hotel and taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all the great feedback and look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Beacon Hotel because the prices were reasonable and the wedding we were going to was within walking distance. We were pleasantly surprised with the size of the room and, as promised, a bottle of champaign was chilling on the table at our arrival. Sadly though, after the wedding, the bar at the hotel was closed before midnight on a Saturday! That was a letdown because we wanted a nightcap before bed. Otherwise we ordered room service for breakfast which arrived promptly and the service from the staff was all around a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SteveRipai, Guest Relations Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my cousin. The price was great, front desk agent were very patient and listened to our request and offered us free upgrade. The YMCA next door was definitely what we needed. Will surely be back for summer.

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Just what the doctor order. Great location within walking distance to public transportation. Very nice room, comfortable. Best price in dc. Wonderful staff especially the front desk staff. They give us a free upgrade. It was a room with fire place. I will always stay here during my trip to dc.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a splendid appraisal of your stay at the Beacon Hotel. We truly appreciate the positive remarks about the staff. It is gratifying to have such happy customer that would take the time to share their positive experience. We are delighted to know that all your requests were handle promptly. We are also pleased to know that you found our value, location and high level of service to be exceptional. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Second trip to the Beacon and it was better. The staff are friendly and very helpful. This trip was better than the last one. we got a better room. The room had two beds and a sofa bed. They still have access to the YMCA for free. it is only for those staying at the Beacon. The price for parking is higher now. Free wi-fi if you book through the hotel web site.

Room Tip: Stay away from Rhode island Ave. because of construction.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SteveRipai, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you very much for staying at the Beacon Hotel for your recent visit to Washington, DC. We would like to express our genuine appreciation to you for taking the time to provide us your constructive feedback as we continue to improve. We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was pleased with the spacious room, decent number of towels (I hate hotels where single occupancy equates to one measly towel), good sized desk, quietness and big windows. I was less thrilled about how loud the heater is when it's on, the fact that hanging space for clothes is inside the bathroom rather than in a closet, and how the lamps aren't very good as task lighting for work and reading.

This morning I turned the shower on, walked out to get some clothes, and was horrified by the sight of a large roach when I came back in to jump under the shower. It was crawling over the tap, and then proceeded to crawl up the shower curtain. I complained to the front desk, they sent someone to take care of it, and I fled to breakfast while they attended to it. They offered to move me to another room. It turned out to be a room with a kitchenette (big fridge, cooking range, dishwasher, microwave, etc.) - all very tempting given I am here on 10 days for work - but was nervous that anything involving food compounded the chance of roaches wandering around - so I settled for a regular room. Also, the room with the kitchenette was awkwardly shaped, and though the kitchenette separated the bedroom from a living area (in itself a nice idea), the bedroom was tiny and had barely any space around the actual bed.

I'm now in a room that is slightly smaller than my original one, thanks to a "private room" eating into the space that would otherwise have been within the room. And despite being on the 9th floor (because I am facing the main street, rather than a side street as before?), it is much noisier than my original room on the 4th floor. I lacked the will to pack and move again, as I was running late for a meeting, and don't have the choice of moving elsewhere as all delegates for my workshop have been put up here and paid for.

But for the roach experience, I would have been very happy in my original room. It's dated and old fashioned, but the space and quiet compensated for everything. Now I have less space, more noise and the horror that roaches may appear at any moment. I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend any more time here than strictly necessary to sleep and shower.

The front desk was pleasant and quick to sort another room out, but I would rather there hadn't been a roach situation to begin with.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters? Share your experiences!