“Very average hotel in good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters

Save Saved
You added Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters to your Saves list
Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1615 Rhode Island Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Formerly The Governor's House Hotel) (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #82 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Washington, DC
“Very average hotel in good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I live in Washington, but stayed at this hotel because my husband had a work assignment that meant he had to stay at the hotel for several days, and I joined him. I haven't stayed in the rooms at other DC hotels, although I have gotten familiar with the restaurants/bars in some of them and have been in the rooms when friends have been here to visit. This hotel is just adequate. It is by no means in the league of the luxe DC hotels like the Mayflower, Willard, Hay Adams, Jefferson, Four Seasons -- which I am sure are also far more expensive. However, if the prices here are comparable to one of the many Kimpton hotels in the area, I would recommend checking out the Kimpton hotels. These are boutique-type hotels, but I think generally reasonable in terms of prices. The Tabard Inn is also in this neighborhood, and might be an option (although it is on the old side, and I haven't seen a room there.) The room at the Beacon was just adequate; on the small side, and was clean. But extremely bland and generic. Furnished like a very mid-range hotel (perhaps a Doubletree). The bathroom was quite dated -- small bathtub not suitable for bathing, small sink. There was a "free" breakfast included in the price of our stay. This amounted to a danish, some fruit, a glass of orange juice from concentrate, average coffee. If you are not a carb eater, you will have to order off the menu (very average omelet for $14). The design of the hotel lobby and restaurant is off. It tries to be stylish, but just misses the mark by the extreme "busy-ness" of the decor. There will be some cool elements (e.g., stylish lighting fixtures, use of bamboo style wood at the desk), but these are combined with really ugly and unstylish ceilings, wall treatments, etc. The staff at check-in weren't all that friendly, but they weren't terrible. The maids in the hall were very nice and friendly. The neighborhood is in DuPont Circle, and I think that this would be a good area from which to explore DC. Relatively close to the Metro, and near some neighborhoods that will be nicer to explore in the evenings than downtown DC. Bottom line: I think you can probably do better in DC.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I don't think that I have ever had great customer service at any hotel that I have been to except the Beacon Hotel. Despite the rooms not being all that great, I came into the hotel lost and was welcomed in by Terecita, who greeted me with a smile. I laughed because I was sure that she was being extra courteous, but I still enjoyed the hostility. She was very helpful in assisting us with our accomodations, and she even let us talk to Marcus, who was more than happy to help. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that needs a place to stay where the front desk is more than helpful. A little bit noisy in the hallways, and needs free Wi-Fi. The customer service helped me to look past the stay. Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Just talk to Terecita or Marcus, and they will help you out!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Summit Point, West Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed in mid-December. The room we stayed in was clean and classy. Was happy with the staff. However, the noise in the hallways was unacceptable. I also wasn't happy with Wi Fi Internet charges. Most hotels these days offer free internet. There is no complimentary coffee in the mornings either.The manager did give me a credit of $25 valet parking for my issue of noise. Nice hotel but probably will not return unless they install sound proof walls, free coffee and free internet like most hotels do.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

we stayed at the Beacon for 7 days for a family trip to DC.we found the hotel to be reasonable for the price, but not flashy or anything special.

the room was very large ( we got a suite with a sofa bed) althought there was only a very small window and the sofa bed was broken, and had no quilt. but the room was large for the price and good for us travelling with two boys ( odd there are only 3 charis in a room that sleeps 4-6)

couple of gripes one was that the front desk staff although very freindly were not well informed so we didn't get much out of the hotel ( eg they never knew when the roof top bar was open so we eneded up not seeing it). and also we kept getting back to our room at about 6pm to find the beds not made up. we felt as we were there for a week our rooms should have been prouirity - but this wasn't the case.

generally a good if a bit tired hotel - i wouldn't call it boutique at all but we couldn't really compain about the price or the fantastic location or the very freindly staff - so a pretty good choice really.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

checked in ask the desk for assistance but they seemed unhappy there. My God are you in hotel jobs or what? the room was ok but needed to be updated, my friend paidless and end up in a corner suite with her friend and even allowed for a party for less by the employees.
so i may be elsewhere 12-31-12.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
San Clemente, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I think one's experience at the Beacon depends on what you are looking for and your travel experience. The Beacon is reasonably priced for D.C. and while it is not luxurious, it is nice. The staff is very friendly and professional. Housekeeping was excellent and the room was always made up when we returned in the afternoon. The location is excellent for walking to restaurants and shopping. Regular rooms are spacious and if you are in town for over a few days, I highly recommend upgrading to a suite with a kitchenette and separate bedroom. One caveat on rooms is to stay away from the 24 and 26 numbers (in the wing we were on) as they seem to be cobbled out of what once was a larger end suite. #25 in the middle is the larger suite! They are VERY small with no central heat/AC but instead have a noisy floor unit that reminds me of a Best Western and the bathrooms are very small. If you get one, you will know immediately what I'm talking about - ask for a standard size room. Also there is ongoing construction on one side of the hotel and it looks like that will be going on for quite some time - ask for a quiet room on a higher level on another side. Can't comment on the wifi as we use our own wireless device. Breakfast was good, but we didn't eat any other meals there other than appetizers at the bar, which were fine. Overall, we would stay here again. It was a pleasant enough experience and a good value.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Valley Stream, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed in DC for one night during Christmas week and landed in the Beacon by Dupont Circle. I was very pleased with the accommodations. The right is a studio with kitchen in the the heart of the upscale Dupont Circle area. The facility is a boutique hotel with a European touch. The staff was excellent and very accommodating. The walk to the Metro is about three blocks in either direction. Driving in the area and parking is a challenge. I was glad that I did not have a car.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters? Share your experiences!