“Perfect place for a visit to the Capitol” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlyle Suites Hotel

You added Carlyle Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Carlyle Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1731 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
The secret is out!
Ranked #20 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
East Midlands
“Perfect place for a visit to the Capitol”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here for four nights as part of an extended trip to the US. The hotel is relaxed and very comfortable decorated beautifully in an art deco style. It is only a 5 minute walk to Dupont circle with plenty of restaurants nearby. The hotel itself has a restaurant and the breakfast was excellent and really good value at $14.95.

The Federal triangle, the national mall and the Smithsonians are all within walking distance - about 20 minutes straight down 17th street. We walked to and from the Whitehouse but equally it would only have been a short cab ride or 3 stops on the metro which again is close by at Dupont.

We stayed in a double suite which was spacious, well decorated and beautifully clean and well equipped. The beds are superbly comfortable which we appreciated given our walking exploits.

I would recommend the Carlyle Suites to anyone visiting Washington D.C. who does not want to stay in one of the big corporate soulless hotels. The staff were really helpful and friendly - overall a great place.

Room Tip: The suites are particularly spacious - if you are on an extended stay book one.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Having never visited DC before I was advised by friends that the Dupont Circle area would be a good place to stay. My first choice hotel had no rooms available but this place caught my eye and the reviews all seemed excellent, so I booked. I am so pleased I did! Wonderfully decorated (I have a thing for Art Deco anyway), spotlessly clean, friendly and helpful staff, what more could you ask for? Loads of great places to eat if you want to venture out - many within walking distance. (Try walking along 17th there's a load of good places along there, and do check out the Logan Tavern on P St. which I really can recommend). All the major tourist destinations are within walking distance, and the Metro is only a five minute walk away. I've been back in England for a few days now but am already planning my next stay! I don't think I would want to stay anywhere else. Thank you to all at The Carlyle!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 707, smaller than some of the rooms pictured on here but ideal for my requirements.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Carlyle Suites during our first trip to DC, as it was suggested by my cousin who stays there frequently when traveling for business. What an awesome hotel!! All of the staff working there are the nicest people, are polished and professional, and willing to go to any length to ensure your stay is pleasant. The rooms are clean and efficient and having a mini kitchen was great. I didn't think that was important but it was nice to make coffee and tea in the morning and have a refrigerator to keep my fruit cold. The location of the hotel was perfect as well, with easy access to the metro, dining, and lots of great street entertainment (festival on both Saturday and Sunday). When we return to DC (and we most definitely will), there is no question that this is the hotel we will return to.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 833, which was the top floor corner; however, I think that all of the rooms would...
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My sister and I chose to stay at the Carlyle Suites during our first trip to DC as it was one of two hotels suggested by the 930 club. I was a little nervous about the trip because we are from a small town but to my surprise the staff and experience made us feel right at home. After arriving downtown and struggling with the city driving/parking, we were able to check in an hour before check-in. Although I was unaware of the parking fee($40 a day), I partially blame myself for that lack of knowledge. The room was very nice and spacious and the Tempur-Pedic beds were great as well. The kitchenette was lovely and appropriately sized. We were in walking distance to everything we planned on doing(9:30 club, the National Mall and White House). Although we only stayed one night, the best part of our Carlyle experience were the friendly staff, specifically the valet. They were extremely helpful and personable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I made a 5 night reservation to the Carlyle Suites based on reviews and it really lived up to my expectations.
When I made the reservation the parking was free which was also a selling point however the policy has changed and they now charge $40 a day. They honored the free parking for me which you'd expect so kudos.
The room was spacious and comfortable with a Keurig in the kitchenette. However use bottled water. DC water is not very good.
The staff was very friendly and courteous.
The neighborhood is vibrant and colorful.
Just an all around great experience.
If your planning on sightseeing in DC buy a Metro pass and ride it everywhere. The DuPont Circle metro is a five minute walk with several coffee and breakfast shops on the way.
If you don't eat at Twist the in house restaurant try DuPont Italian Kitchen at the corner of 17th and R streets. Or RAKU on the corner of Q and 19th. One block from the Metro.
If we ever make back to DC Carlyle Suites is at the top of our list for hotels.
All in all a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Carlyle Suites Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Hello ScottCorinna,
It’s a pleasure for us to hear that we met everything you hoped for during your stay with us. This is what we thrive for, to meet and exceed your expectations. We thank you much for taking the time to share this experience and to recommend this great hotel to the TripAdvisor community. Yes, the Hotel is just very well located, any type of cuisine you might look for can be found in the five blocks radius; The Staff is ready at all time to guide you to the right direction and to make sure you enjoy your travel to Washington DC.
We cannot wait to see you again, send me a message when you are coming back so that I can personally meet you.
Best wishes! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Carlyle suites is a beautiful art-deco style hotel located in close proximity to the metro station and about a 20-30 minute walk to attractions such as the White House and the National Mall. The rooms are lovely and spacious, with the benefit of having a small kitchenette with a microwave and fridge as well as cutlery- not to be overlooked when eating take out! However, the real highlight of this hotel is their wonderful staff who are incredibly friendly and helpful. They genuinely seemed to care about their guests happiness. The neighbourhood the hotel is in (as well as most of D.C it seems) is very safe and I felt perfectly safe walking around Dupont circle alone after dark. The only fault I can state with this hotel is that the wifi is quite sketchy. We were only able to obtain a faint signal in certain areas of the room which continuously faded in and out.

Room Tip: If you want to save a few bucks from Dulles airport, catch the bus and then the metro- its quite a d...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manda2053,
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and took the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor Community. DuPont Circle area is safe to walk around as you mentioned, and the neighborhood being the heart of Embassies, just makes it one of the best places in Washington DC.
Our room’s amenities are perfect for those who want to feel at home away from home cooking their own meals or having a cup of coffee while enjoying a game on our 32” Samsung flat screen TV.
We can’t wait to see you again! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Abou, our front desk host for most of our stay was tremendous. He went above and beyond to make sure our stay was pleasant. He gave great Metro directions, great eatery options and just an overall pleasant personality on the front desk. The overall whole staff was wonderful but a big thanks to Abou!!

Dear rjsmith7670,
How better can someone feel to hear your acknowledgement about the outstanding service that Abou provided with you? He was happy to see your review, and comments like yours drive the staff to go above and beyond, making sure the smallest need of our guest is met with satisfaction.
We thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will see you soon!
Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Been to Carlyle Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!