“A last minute trip, but glad I found the Carlyle.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1731 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Drink in the Blossoms
Ranked #43 of 137 Hotels in Washington DC
Prospect Heights, Illinois
“A last minute trip, but glad I found the Carlyle.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had to make last minute plans for a business trip to Washington DC, and soon found that this particular area are pretty proud of their hotels and don't mind reflecting that in the prices. This hotel stood out on a search site as a good degree less than pretty much all, which usually means the obvious... steer clear. But I lingered enough to have a quick look at other reviews and the result was that I booked a prepaid room. All the reviews are spot on. The staff are wonderfully welcoming and friendly, the property, although of good age, is well maintained and features a 50's art deco style. Quite unique. You almost feel you have stepped back in time. My room was huge, and included a neat little kitchenette which would be great for an extended stay. The Dupont Circle area is the Embassy district, and has a great selection of bars and restaurants to satisfy a wide array of palettes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
dtrezevant, Manager at The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Good morning Aussiepol65! We are glad you found us! Thank you for your kind words! We are very proud of our Art Deco history in our hotel dating back to the 1930's! We look forward to seeing you again! The Carlyle Suites Hotel Team!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here with two friends from college for a two night stay this past weekend. None of us had much experience in, or knowledge of, the DC area, and mostly chose this hotel because of other reviews. I wish I could thank every single person who wrote a solid review for this spot, as they were completely accurate!

As a New Yorker, I was shocked at how large the room was. I've stayed in NY hotels that were maybe 1/3 of this space. The kitchen was adorable! Sink, refrigerator, microwave, stove, utensils, cups and plates - you really could not ask for more out of a hotel. Cute little table and chairs surrounded by two large windows with a great view of the pretty scenery - gorgeous brownstones and flowers in bloom.

The hotel has a great old Hollywood feel - the colors and patterns in the lobby and elevators especially reminded us all of the current Gatsby commercials with the black and gold. There's great, jazzy music playing in the lobby as well. When we first checked in our front desk attendant could have been a bit friendlier (though he did check us in early, and later brought my friend out to the parking lot and showed her where to park - and, by the way, free parking?! Seriously?! The lot is small, and first come first serve, but if you can snag a spot it's an incredible value.) but we couldn't really make that comment about anyone else on the staff. Every person we passed was friendlier than the last, which leads me to...DAVE! The absolute best manager I've ever dealt with. He took note of my and my friends confusion when we first left the hotel, and walked us outside to show us exactly where to find the Metro station. Unprompted, he also took it upon himself to point out to us other things nearby that we might need and how to find it. When we came back that night he was talking to another customer outside. He stopped what he was doing, approached us with a big smile, and said "Welcome Home, Girls! We left the lights on for you! Did you have fun? Did you find everything?" I'm not naïve, I'm sure everyone gets this greeting - this is his job. But it's incredibly how far good service goes. To feel incredibly welcome at your hotel in an unfamiliar city, whether it's just a friendly façade or not, goes a long way to making a good stay memorable.

Because we checked in early we were given a handicapped bathroom, which was the only room available (they made us aware of this before we agreed to take the room - we were just so eager to begin our trip that we took it). The only downside to this was the bathroom - it was a good size, but the shower was really just an open stall (no shower curtain or anything) and there was nothing to really keep the water in the designated shower area. We tried to stop it with towels, but a large portion of the bathroom floor was soaked. Once again, we chose to take this room - just wanted to point this out.

If you have the chance, absolutely go the Jazz Brunch downstairs at Twist! The food was excellent, the décor and music make for a lovely, relaxing atmosphere, and the service (as with every other area in the hotel) was impeccable. Unlimited mimosas that they refill practically after every sip? Yes, please.

Lastly, the location!! Unreal! The tree and flower lined streets were adorable (plus, passing embassies on your daily walk doesn't suck!) and it was MAYBE a five minute walk to the Dupont Circle Metro. Within complete and total walking distance were bars, restaurants, the adorable Kramerbooks and Starbucks (this, in particular, was very important to me). The area is great - very vibrant, and busy - you definitely feel safe walking there, even well into the night.

Seriously, I can't imagine why you would ever want to stay somewhere else! Friendliest service I've ever had, perfect location - all for a great value. We could not have been happier to stay, or sadder to leave!

Room Tip: I don't know if this is true for all rooms or if we just lucked out, but we had a fourth floor c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
A big Shut Out to You CB! It was absolutely a JOY to have you and your friends here for the weekend! Everyone from reservations, housekeeping, engineering, TWIST restaurant and all of our Service Hosts in the front of the House simply wanted to say "Thank You for choosing Us" !
Sincerely, David Trezevant, Resident Manager
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our family had a great experience staying at the Carlyle while in DC for a weekend sightseeing trip! Everyone on the staff was very friendly and accomodating. Simon at the front desk was particularly welcoming and worked with us to find three rooms for our group after a last minute change in plans resulted in our not staying at a rental house as previously planned.

The rooms themselves were a welcome place to call home after a day of museum hopping and sightseeing. One guest in our party was so in love with the great night's sleep she had that she is trying to hunt down the exact model of mattress on their beds. Still another guest in our party commented that he would have expected the rates to be higher for the quaility of the hotel and rooms in such a great DC location.

We also enjoyed haivng a change in scenery from the Mall while staying in DuPont Circle. While there are places to stay which would be closer to the Mall or right on top of the Metra, we really enjoyed staying in a beautiful neighborhood while still only steps from great shops and restaurants such as Kramerbooks & Afterwords, Teaism, and more.

Everyone in our group, from ages 5 to 70+, enjoyed the Carlyle!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hello Steve B, It was a pleasure to have everyone stay with us! Simon particularly wanted to say hello as well as well !!! He is certainly is one of our best Service Leaders! We looking forward to seeing you soon next time you are in the Washington DC area ! best regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I frequently travel to Washington, DC on business. My major client is located near Dupont Circle. I discovered the Carlyle Suites my first trip and have consistently stayed there ever since. My client has offered to put me up at other hotels but I always request the Carlyle Suites. The price is reasonable, the location is convenient and the staff are consistently friendly and helpful. I love the fact that the stay includes a day pass at Washington Sport Club (my favorite gym in DC). I have nothing but good things to say about the Carlyle Suites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ron F
Ron! - Everyone says HELLO ! Karen, Mediombo, Simon and all of us at the front of the house!
We genuinely enjoy seeing you every time you are here! See you soon & "Welcome Home" !
the entire Carlyle Suites Hotel Team!
Woodinville, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

86 yo mother asked for toast and coffee from room service at 630 am. Was told by kitchen staff that " we are too busy". Location sucks . Metro NOT close. 6 blocks?
Bathrooms tiny and soaps and shampoo are" green" which means they are awful and not enough for 2 people in room. Service in y
There one reasturants non existent . Front desk indifferent to concerns. No heat in rooms. Was told by manager that heat to all rooms shut off in April . No I cannot make that up. They brought space heaters to room for heat!!
I tend not to be a negative person but this place truly sucks. Do yourself a favor and stay at a real hotel , not this joke of a place away from everything in this great city

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Jeff G
Dear G, Thank you for being a part of the TripAdvisor community. My deepest apologies that we simply fell short and did not give you and your mother our normal high level of service. We have take all of your comments to heart and we have discussed all of them with our team one on one.Thank you for sharing your experience. When you return to Washington DC please contact me directly so that I may take care of you personally. My sincerest regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager 202.234.3200 ext 4901.
Coto de Caza, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week in DC for sightseeing. I chose the Carlyle based on the reviews from Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. The hotel is a boutique inn of about 170 rooms on 8 floors. The neighborhood is beautiful and is comprised of embassys and elegant town homes. It is a convenient walk to restaurants and shops and even a dog park! The staff could not be more friendly and accommodating and we always felt welcome as we returned from our daily adventures. Our room was spacious with a separate, small kitchen and a huge walk in closet. The TV was easy to operate and had a great picture. The window opened a bit for fresh air which was refreshing...the bed has a temperpedic mattress which was not my favorite (too warm) but my husband loved it! We look forward to another DC trip so we can stay at the Carlyle again!

Room Tip: I only saw the room that we had--834--and it was more than satisfactory! Large, quiet, average view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GramSRDPTT
Dear GramSRDPTT, Thank you for mentioning the dog park which is just a half a block from our front door! We have guests who bring their dogs with them and we love to have them with us!
From all of us here at the Carlyle Suites Hotel - a special thank you for choosing us & we look forward to your next visit! best regards, David
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I spent several days last yr May, along with my hussy and 4yr old daughter. It was clean and comfy. The service was excellent. Front desk was so very helpful. As well as a worker Mrs Janelle Cash was very warm in helping me organize everything. The buffet style breakfast was very tasty and well laid out. Once ur in this area and looking for a 5 star hotel Carlyle Suites is the place.....Looking forward to coming back to DC very soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Good afternoon Aneshahotchic! A very special "Thank You" for your incredible comments! Janelle is truly one of our Top Service Leaders! Janelle and all of us can't wait to have you and your family back with us! Sincerely, David Trezevant, Resident Manager