“"Great hotel and location for such a low price"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carlyle Suites Hotel

You added Carlyle Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Carlyle Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1731 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
The secret is out!
Ranked #20 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Woodbridge, Virginia
“"Great hotel and location for such a low price"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was looking for at least a 3 star hotel for the weekend after Thanksgiving with a fair price range. A part of me thought this would be impossible. The only hotel that looked like it was worthy enough for my scruples was the Carlyle. Of course I was suspect because the price was cheap for such a last minute decision and so I hoped for the best. When we got to the hotel and went to check in, the staff was so nice and the hotel was adorable. The bar made me want a burger and a milkshake. The moment finally arrived for us to see the room. Lo and behold, it was quite nice! The kitchenette was stocked with utensils and dishes and dish soap and they were clean (I still washed them before use). The bed was a king but I will say I didn't like how it was right next to the door. That would probably be my only issue. The pillows were too luxurious and puffed for us because we couldn't get comfortable with the amount of stuffing. But the bathroom was quaint and the room was cute to say it looked like it'd been recently renovated. I did a job well done picking this hotel. Between the staff, the cleanliness of the room, and the location, I will definitely continue to book here whenever we come back to DC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Carlyle Suites Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi Melanie! Thank you for the kind and honest review! The team at the Carlyle Suites Hotel are true hotelier and although we are not a 5 star luxury property we do believe in 5 star service and providing guests with a clean, affordable and comfortable place to stay when they travel. We are thrilled to have met and exceeded your expectations. You made our day! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! MarcAnthony and team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Deming, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Love the Art Deco in the common areas. Every single one of the staff members were warm, friendly, and helpful. I appreciated the attempts to be green in the bath (but missed any recycle bins. If they are there, I didn't see them). The mattress was great. However, ten days was too long. The Standard Room (2 queens) was cramped for even one person. At night my room was dark except right at the head of the beds. When I opened the wardrobe, the door blocked the light even further -- who knew what color that suit was hanging on the rack -- brown or blue? There was no place to sit to watch TV except the bed (So, I slept through all my favorite shows). There was no desk... unless you use the dressing table at the bath entry. The kitchen has no work space, and I didn't have a kitchen table other than a small, high counter on the wall far from the kitchen. The kitchen is not equipped to cook -- the pans are small and cheap (teflon coated -- cancer threat!), the toaster was shot. The manager offered me a larger room at the same price... at check out. I had asked about a larger room mid-stay, but was told it would cost $20/day more -- for which I could not be reimbursed. So, I was on my way to a better value at the Residence Inn - same price (I'm on government rates) but much better equipped kitchen, bright and lots of space, free breakfast everyday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reedbarb - We really appreciate the review, especially the mention of our staff and eco-friendly bath amenities. The service that we offer to our guests is paramount and something we try to make our focus each and every day. As for the guest rooms, Carlyle Suites Hotel offers a variety of hotel rooms that are ideal for both overnight guests to extended stay accommodations for business and families. Clearly we could have done a better job prior to arrival ensuring that we found a room that best suited your needs and length of stay. On your next trip, I would be thrilled if you gave us another try and let us find the perfect room for you! You can email me directly at mcrimi@greataddresses.com. I know we can make the Carlyle Suites Hotel your home away from home! Warm Regards - MarcAnthony
Bekasi, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

When I learn that I was booked on this hotel by the course organiser, I was a little bit worried as I learned that this is an old hotel. But when I get there.... I was really happy! Why?
1. The hotel lobby is small but clean, and the staff was very nice. I asked for a king bed and they are happy to move me there despite original bookings was for a twin bed.
2. The room has a small kitchen with stove, coffee-maker, a sink, medium sized fridge, microwave and kitchen utensils. So perfect for a long stay or if you bring family. Bathroom is great with powerful shower, and there's a little vanity room next to the bathroom.
3. The hotel and rooms are well-heated. So you during winter you don't have to worry to come back to a cold room.
4. Location was great! Dupont circle is only a few blocks away. There are several groceries stores nearby and lots of restaurants from McD to a great italian resto.
5. Again staff are very helpful if you need help from asking directions, exchanging coins, hail you a taxi and bring an umbrella for you.
6. Coin laundry is available in the basement and room service is ok.

If I ever come back to DC again I will definitely stay at this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
WOW Widya! Your review has us over the moon! Thank you Thank you Thank you! Glad to hear that you took advantage of the on-site laundry room! There is nothing better than unpacking and putting away your cloths in the drawer rather than the hamper! It's my new travel peccadillo! (he he he!) We really hope to see you again and look forward to your return! Hope you had a safe trip back to Indonesia! Warmly - MarcAnthony
Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights on our first visit to DC, with friends from the US & Australia - a total of 9 people and 1 small dog. Between us we had 5 suites.
We booked all the suites many months in advance, as we were attending Veterans Day commemorations, plus it was Presidential Election week. Janelle in reservations couldn't have been more helpful with suite configurations and a great rate. On check in we were all able to access our rooms straight away, a bonus. One of our party uses an electric wheelchair and the hotel staff were vigilant about his vehicle beng able to access the disabled bay in the car park. The hotel is located in the embassy area, with the Metro a 5 minute walk, plus all the shops and restaurants of Dupont Circle. The area felt safe and was attractive to walk in. The Mall, with all its monuments, is an interesting 40 minute walk on 19th street, for those who like the exercise. Simon and David, plus all the hotel staff, were exceptionally friendly and attentive. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I put average for sleep quality, as the hotel has Tempur mattresses, which aren't our personal c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings Boltartas! You may just be our very first reviewer from Tasmania! How excited are we! Not to mention you had a fabulous stay! Woo Hoo! I am so happy your group enjoyed your visit and that Janelle, Simon and David made such an impression! Thank you so very much! We hope you had a safe trip back home. Cheers! MarcAnthony
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a great little hotel near Dupont Circle. The staff are so friendly, they all say when you come through the door, "Welcome home!" And they mean it. Need anything - just ask. The rooms are little suites with a sitting area that has a fold-out couch. Comfy beds, clean, and good assortment of things for cooking. I was here for business for a month and they let me store my bike in a special room. An ideal place for jumping on the Metro and seeing all of DC. Not far from the zoo either. No pool or exercise area but they give you passes to a gym. I love it.

Room Tip: Try to get corner rooms on the 7th or 8th floor for more light and views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi Ken! Thanks for making our little Dupont Circle hotel your home during your extended stay in Washington DC! Glad you liked the beds, location and in-room kitchens too! Thanks for mentioning the FREE gym access to the Washington Sports Club - DC's premium workout facility. I think its one of our best amenities along with the free WiFi and free (limited) parking. If you are ever in town again, we hope you will consider us again. All the best and Happy Holiday's. MarcAnthony and team.
kmn727
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Another great stay at this hotel. The beds are as comfortable as everyone says they are; the rooms are well-planned, the location couldn't be better, and the service is excellent. Prior to my arrival, I noticed that each room has a coffee-maker; being an inveterate tea-drinker, I emailed to ask if the coffee maker made tea, and, if not, if I could have the use of a kettle during my stay. One was there in my room to greet me as soon as I entered. Breakfast is plentiful and good, and the hotel also takes care of my pet aversion - having to pay for internet access; it's good and free of charge here. Travel tip for those coming into DC from Dulles International Airport; it's miles away and taxis are expensive; Supershuttle shared rides works well, and you get door-to-door service from them.

Room Tip: It never harms to ask for a quiet room ahead of time...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi KMN727! When I read your five circle review, I just couldn't help sharing it with our team! The fact that you came back and the Carlyle Suites wasn't just just a one-hit wonder is sure to impress our other TripAdvisor readers! THANK YOU! At Carlyle Suites your wish is our command and now that we know you are a tea drinker, we will always have your tea kettle for you! I am not sure if you have the option, but if you fly into Regan National airport we are only a quick 15 minute ride from the airport. May not be possible if you are traveling Internationally, just thought I would mention it if you are transferring within the US. Hope to see you again soon! Warmly - MarcAnthony
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the Carlyle Suites in mid-October (pre-Sandy) and found it to be a wonderfully located base from which to explore the entire city by foot and metro. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. We loved being in a "regular" neighborhood where we could shop at the local Safeway and the Sunday farmers' market to buy food for breakfast, which we prepared in the kitchenette. And, perhaps best of all was the warm and friendly staff who gave us ice for our water bottle every morning and greeted us every evening upon our return from a full day of sightseeing with a hearty "Welcome Home!" A special shout out to Abou whose smile lights up the lobby!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DDHM - Abou and the rest of the Carlyle Suites Hotel staff want to thank you so much for the GREAT review! I understand your affection for Dupont Circle, the beautiful embassies, gorgeous architecture and central location make it my favorite nabe in DC! And the White House is only a 20 minute walk from our hotel! I know you are from the West coast and if you find your way back to Washington, please consider staying with us again! We would love to "welcome you home!". Cheers, MarcAnthony

Been to Carlyle Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!