“Well-maintained hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlyle Suites Hotel

Save Saved
You added Carlyle Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Carlyle Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1731 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for two offer
Ranked #12 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Bekasi, Indonesia
“Well-maintained hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

When I learn that I was booked on this hotel by the course organiser, I was a little bit worried as I learned that this is an old hotel. But when I get there.... I was really happy! Why?
1. The hotel lobby is small but clean, and the staff was very nice. I asked for a king bed and they are happy to move me there despite original bookings was for a twin bed.
2. The room has a small kitchen with stove, coffee-maker, a sink, medium sized fridge, microwave and kitchen utensils. So perfect for a long stay or if you bring family. Bathroom is great with powerful shower, and there's a little vanity room next to the bathroom.
3. The hotel and rooms are well-heated. So you during winter you don't have to worry to come back to a cold room.
4. Location was great! Dupont circle is only a few blocks away. There are several groceries stores nearby and lots of restaurants from McD to a great italian resto.
5. Again staff are very helpful if you need help from asking directions, exchanging coins, hail you a taxi and bring an umbrella for you.
6. Coin laundry is available in the basement and room service is ok.

If I ever come back to DC again I will definitely stay at this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Carlyle Suites Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
WOW Widya! Your review has us over the moon! Thank you Thank you Thank you! Glad to hear that you took advantage of the on-site laundry room! There is nothing better than unpacking and putting away your cloths in the drawer rather than the hamper! It's my new travel peccadillo! (he he he!) We really hope to see you again and look forward to your return! Hope you had a safe trip back to Indonesia! Warmly - MarcAnthony

1,314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights on our first visit to DC, with friends from the US & Australia - a total of 9 people and 1 small dog. Between us we had 5 suites.
We booked all the suites many months in advance, as we were attending Veterans Day commemorations, plus it was Presidential Election week. Janelle in reservations couldn't have been more helpful with suite configurations and a great rate. On check in we were all able to access our rooms straight away, a bonus. One of our party uses an electric wheelchair and the hotel staff were vigilant about his vehicle beng able to access the disabled bay in the car park. The hotel is located in the embassy area, with the Metro a 5 minute walk, plus all the shops and restaurants of Dupont Circle. The area felt safe and was attractive to walk in. The Mall, with all its monuments, is an interesting 40 minute walk on 19th street, for those who like the exercise. Simon and David, plus all the hotel staff, were exceptionally friendly and attentive. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I put average for sleep quality, as the hotel has Tempur mattresses, which aren't our personal c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings Boltartas! You may just be our very first reviewer from Tasmania! How excited are we! Not to mention you had a fabulous stay! Woo Hoo! I am so happy your group enjoyed your visit and that Janelle, Simon and David made such an impression! Thank you so very much! We hope you had a safe trip back home. Cheers! MarcAnthony
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a great little hotel near Dupont Circle. The staff are so friendly, they all say when you come through the door, "Welcome home!" And they mean it. Need anything - just ask. The rooms are little suites with a sitting area that has a fold-out couch. Comfy beds, clean, and good assortment of things for cooking. I was here for business for a month and they let me store my bike in a special room. An ideal place for jumping on the Metro and seeing all of DC. Not far from the zoo either. No pool or exercise area but they give you passes to a gym. I love it.

Room Tip: Try to get corner rooms on the 7th or 8th floor for more light and views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi Ken! Thanks for making our little Dupont Circle hotel your home during your extended stay in Washington DC! Glad you liked the beds, location and in-room kitchens too! Thanks for mentioning the FREE gym access to the Washington Sports Club - DC's premium workout facility. I think its one of our best amenities along with the free WiFi and free (limited) parking. If you are ever in town again, we hope you will consider us again. All the best and Happy Holiday's. MarcAnthony and team.
kmn727
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Another great stay at this hotel. The beds are as comfortable as everyone says they are; the rooms are well-planned, the location couldn't be better, and the service is excellent. Prior to my arrival, I noticed that each room has a coffee-maker; being an inveterate tea-drinker, I emailed to ask if the coffee maker made tea, and, if not, if I could have the use of a kettle during my stay. One was there in my room to greet me as soon as I entered. Breakfast is plentiful and good, and the hotel also takes care of my pet aversion - having to pay for internet access; it's good and free of charge here. Travel tip for those coming into DC from Dulles International Airport; it's miles away and taxis are expensive; Supershuttle shared rides works well, and you get door-to-door service from them.

Room Tip: It never harms to ask for a quiet room ahead of time...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi KMN727! When I read your five circle review, I just couldn't help sharing it with our team! The fact that you came back and the Carlyle Suites wasn't just just a one-hit wonder is sure to impress our other TripAdvisor readers! THANK YOU! At Carlyle Suites your wish is our command and now that we know you are a tea drinker, we will always have your tea kettle for you! I am not sure if you have the option, but if you fly into Regan National airport we are only a quick 15 minute ride from the airport. May not be possible if you are traveling Internationally, just thought I would mention it if you are transferring within the US. Hope to see you again soon! Warmly - MarcAnthony
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the Carlyle Suites in mid-October (pre-Sandy) and found it to be a wonderfully located base from which to explore the entire city by foot and metro. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. We loved being in a "regular" neighborhood where we could shop at the local Safeway and the Sunday farmers' market to buy food for breakfast, which we prepared in the kitchenette. And, perhaps best of all was the warm and friendly staff who gave us ice for our water bottle every morning and greeted us every evening upon our return from a full day of sightseeing with a hearty "Welcome Home!" A special shout out to Abou whose smile lights up the lobby!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DDHM - Abou and the rest of the Carlyle Suites Hotel staff want to thank you so much for the GREAT review! I understand your affection for Dupont Circle, the beautiful embassies, gorgeous architecture and central location make it my favorite nabe in DC! And the White House is only a 20 minute walk from our hotel! I know you are from the West coast and if you find your way back to Washington, please consider staying with us again! We would love to "welcome you home!". Cheers, MarcAnthony
Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was there in august 2012 in the hottest period of the year. Generally i can say that the hotel and his suites are perfect for stay in DC. The rooms are spacious and well equiped, clean, the bed is perfect, the staff is professional. Only one thing that left me disappointed. The room 222 is looks directly and close to the central aircondition compressor engine. And no noise isolation in the window. So every 5 minutes the huge compressor starts, and you feel in the room like in the diesel engine deck of a big merchant ship. Any way if you are enough tired maybe is not a problem, but for me it was to noisy. This room is simple not fit the general apparence and service level of the hotel, maybe they sould be convert it for some other use, (store for example...)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hi Peter! Thank you for your honest commentary on your last stay at our Washington DC hotel. Since your review, our Engineering Department has been making improvements to the air-conditioning unit that is located outside of 222. With a little more attention and regular cleaning, we should be able to reduce the noise for the next guest. I appreciate your email and hope that you will give us another change the next time you are in DC. Until then, MarcAnthony
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We went to D.C. In July 2012, just after the heat wave that knocked out the power up and down the southern east coast. By the time we drove down, power was mostly restored although the temperature was still 95 and above during our stay!

When researching for this trip, we needed a reasonably priced hotel which would accommodate our family of 5, be within walking distance of public transport, and be in a safe neighborhood. We had gone back and forth on whether we should drive or take the Amtrak down. We knew that like in any other big city that parking would be scarce and expensive. After speaking on the phone with a friendly person at the Carlyle Suites ( I'm sorry, i don't remember his name)about the parking situation and room sizes and prices, we decided to go with the Carlyle Suites! We also decided to take our chances and drive.

The front desk staff was super friendly and check in was quick from your front desk employee named "Trainee". :-D. Our room was a suite with 2 double beds, a pull-out couch, and a small kitchenette. Very roomy. Very reasonably priced. We especially appreciated the free wifi so that we can check email. Clean during our stay. I worried about previous reviews about bed bugs, but thankfully our stay was bug free. When we first arrived, there were no parking spots in the small parking lot behind the hotel. We parked on the street. That evening, Simon, very kindly went out with my parents to look for a spot and let us park in the handicapped parking spot. Luckily, we did not have to move the car at all during our entire stay! Thank you , Simon!

The hotel is within walking distance to the DuPont Circle Metro stop and all the fantastic dining options around DuPont Circle. Being with my two kids and my parents, I found the area to be safe and we never felt worried about walking home late at night after a day of sightseeing and dinner. A bonus is that there is a large Safeway grocery store about a block and a half away!! Perfect for buying snacks and breakfast items.

Two minor complaints: 1.) The room only had enough towels, cups, plates for 4 people and despite leaving a tip with a note after our first day with a request for an extra towel, we never received one. We had to call down each night for the towel and each day we were only given 4! Perhaps the cleaning staff doesn't read English? 2.) Our room was on the top floor and the air conditioner was not very cold. Don't know if the high temperature during the day had anything to do with it. We didn't call down either because we always got home late in the evenings (11:00 pm-ish)

Overall, a great stay and we would stay there again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carlyle Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!