“Had a great experience at Carlyle Suites” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1731 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #31 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Had a great experience at Carlyle Suites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had to stay in DC for a conference last week and I had a great experience at the Carlyle Suites. My room had a good sized bed and it had a fridge, microwave and Keurig. The tv was a good size. 32", I think. The bed was very comfortable with many different kinds of pillows. Also, the hotel had a nice a nice art deco style to it. Everyone from the hotel that I spoke to was eager to make sure I had everything I needed. One other thing that was amazing was that as a guest of the hotel, I was able to work out at the Washington Sports Club which is only about 5 minutes away. That gym is awesome! The price of the hotel was a little bit less than some of the other hotels in the area, as well. When I come back to DC, I will without a doubt go to Carlyle Suites.

Room Tip: Was on the 3rd floor overlooking the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hi APJ2101! Super review! Thank you for sharing your experiencing and mentioning so many of our amenities like the free Washington Sports Club membership, in-room Keurig coffee machines, the Tempur-Pedic beds and of course our central Dupont Circle hotel location! We will welcome you back anytime! Just say the word! Cheers - MarcAnthony and team!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently spent three days at this hotel in Dupont Circle while we were visiting our daughter in Washington, DC. Dupont Circle is a great, lively neighborhood with lots of embassies, museums (visit the Phillips Collection--an incredible impressionist collection), and the hotel is a very easy walk from the metro. The neighborhood felt very safe both in the daytime and in the evening when we walked to and from dinner. Our room had two double beds and a little kitchen with a refrigerator, toaster, and microwave plus dishes for eating in if you wanted. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We were delighted with our stay and would definitely stay there again. The hotel is located on a quiet street so we did not have any problems with outside noise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear ShrinkdocDeb - We are so happy you loved the Carlyle Suites Hotel! (I especially digged the comments on our service!) I was also happy to hear that you made it to The Phillips Collection museum. It is one of my favorites in Washington DC and I try to make it there a few times a year as their collections rotate often. If you ever decide to return to Washington, try coming during the Christmas and Jewish holiday! The city is SO beautiful and the theater is fun and festive. Hope to see you again soon! MarcAnthony
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just a short stroll to Dupont Circle and a vast array of restaurants and transport options, this modern mock art deco hotel in a quiet street and delightful neighbourhood is hard to beat. A spacious room with a kitchen allows you to have breakfast at your leisure (and any other meals you may like). For those who like to do their touring on foot, it is an easy walk down 14th Street to the major sights of Washington.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hey there BellfastBoy - Thanks for the 5 circle review mate! (sorry, I couldn't resist). Sounds like you had a nice time in our fair city! Appreciated the mention on the location and the kitchens... We truly are in an optimal area of Washington and having a hotel in Dupont Circle makes for a great visit. Hope you had a nice trip back to Australia! Cheers - MarcAnthony
Pleasant Hill, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Really loved our stay at the Carlyle Suites. The hotel was located in a residential neighborhood walking distance to Dupont Circle metro and shopping area. The staff was super friendly and welcoming. The lobby had a cool Art Deco décor, while the rooms were very modern and spacious. We stayed in the deluxe suite with separate sitting area and kitchen which would be perfect for a family. Parking can be a challenged but staff went out of their way to notify us when a space became available. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelandFood (two of my FAVORITE things!) It was very kind of you to take the time to review on the Carlyle Suites Hotel. We all love working in our little Dupont Circle hotel and glad to see it translates to our guests! From the bottom of our hearts - THANK YOU! MarcAnthony
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have just spent 7 nights at the Carlyle. I can only say good things. The staff on reception were terrific - friendly and welcoming and helpful to a first time Washington visitor. Anything I asked/needed they were always quick to attend to - if I needed a cab for example there was always someone to hail one as soon as I needed it. My room (8th floor corner) was spacious, two very comfortable double beds (not queen), nice sitting area, furnishings in very nice condition, small kitchenette (a kettle was the only thing missing for this Aussie - making cups of tea in the microwave a bit strange! but there was a coffee maker which was good), the bathroom is small but very adequate with good hot water pressure and had a nice powder room with good mirrors, seat etc. The decor is toward Art Deco in keeping with the age of the hotel. Breakfast was served in a lovely light conservatory style space with a good buffet selection of hot and cold food and fresh omlettes or waffles made to order. Plenty of fresh fruit salad. All for about $13 inc taxes. I did not eat dinner at the hotel so cannot comment. The hotel is an easy walk to Dupont Circle and the Metro. I was attending a conf at the Hilton which was an easy 7 min walk. Reception provides a map for you to follow so no trouble finding your way and the Carlyle is much more personable - I'd choose it over the Hilton any day. There are loads on cool restaurants within easy walk as well thru lovely brownstone streets. I would like to say thanks to Mediombu, David, Giovani, Bernadette and Dora among others for a great stay. Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Greetings Sue! Thank you for the detailed review of your recent stay at the Carlyle Suites Hotel in Dupont Circle! It will certainly help us, and other TripAdvisor readers to the services of our hotel. I have passed along your thanks to Mediombu, David and the team and they are all blushing!
We hope you had a safe trip back to Brisbane. Warm Regards - MarcAnthony
Panama City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Let me start out by saying that the staff of this hotel went out of their way to be nice and accomodating. We arrived the Sunday before Hurricane Sandy hit and the front desk was pretty busy when we arrived. My only complaint at this point was that the desk clerk kept stopping to answer the phone instead of getting us checked in. A bit annoying but they did take care of us. The rooms - if you book a suite - are very large for a city hotel and have a kitchenette which is very convenient especially if you have to ride out a hurricane. The beds are very comfortable as everyone states in their reviews and it is pretty clean.The neighborhood is very pretty and close to the metro. But there were a few things that made wonder about the high rating. Although the bathroom shower sprayed very hard (good for waking up) it also sprayed all over the bathroom. The glass partition does not block the water and it goes everywhere. Put plenty of towels down and don't leave anything on the wall hooks. On Halloween night the room next door had a very very noisy party until 6 (I'm not making this up) in the morning. We asked them to at least turn down the music, which they did, but they were still pretty noisy. Can't believe that management didn't hear it. The next night the couple on the other side of us starting a very loud screaming match with lots of things being knocked around and hitting the walls. When their baby starting screaming we decided to call the front desk because I was worried it was the wife that was hitting the walls. I knew at the beginning that the hotel was not top of the line but because of the price and the high rating (#7 at the time) I decided to take a chance. I think these are just a few examples of the type of clientele that stay here. It is a hotel that is trying so hard to be a classier property but is just short of the mark. If I visited again with family I might stay here but this was just me and my husband and wanted something a little more luxurious.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the suites that are on the corners. At first we had a room that was in an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kattraveler61 - We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay at the Carlyle Suites. I am glad you thought the staff was attentive and the rooms spacious and clean. This is by far the main reason we get rated so high on TripAdvisor as the reviews attest (as well as our modest rates for DC hotel). We are certainly not the Ritz and very comfortable with that. We like to think of ourselves as a 3 star property with 5 star service. ;) I was super disappointed when I heard about the noise issues during your stay. When I hear about other guests affecting the stay of another, my heart just sinks. We don't want this to be the lasting impression! I am sure if you gave us another try, you would see that it is not indicative of the type of customers we attract and your stay was indeed an anomaly. Warm Wishes to you Katt and to your husband. We hope you had a safe trip home. Best - Marcanthony
Ferndown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Lovely big rooms with a small shower room and two double beds. Used the beds as twins as we are used to a 6' bed. We had a corner room that was nice and bright. We even had a little kitchen.
They did have some water issues in that there was a damp smell in the corridors. The behind the desk staff were not as knowledgeable as they should be. We tried to find out about the hop on and hop off bus and they could not tell us where it went from at Dupont Circle. Said we could not walk to the White House as it was too far - anyway we did as we could not find the bus.
Good breakfast and well situated hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Bonniegirl! First off - let me start by saying that Guest Reception is now armed with maps of the hop-on/hop-off bus and ready to tackle that question for the next guest! That was just unacceptable for us to miss such an easy one! As far as the walk to the White House, it wasn't so bad right?! I am a New York'er and used to walking around and know it takes about 20 minutes from the Carlyle Suites Hotel. DC is a small city and very accessible isn't it. Still - the next time you are in town, the bus is a great way to see the city. Especially the monuments at night. So pretty! Thanks for reviewing our hotel and we hope you make the trip across the pond again soon! Best - MarcAnthony

Been to The Carlyle Dupont Circle, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!