“worst customer service for a HHonor Member” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Capital Hilton

You added Capital Hilton to your Saves list
Capital Hilton
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 16th St NW, corner K & 16th Street, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Rates from $109!
Ranked #86 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Honolulu, Hawaii
“worst customer service for a HHonor Member”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just got back from our DC trip and now settled back at home and this was 1st on my do list.

Travelled from Hawaii so it was already a long trip for my 2 kids and myself. We got in early so I knew it would be a gamble if our room would be ready and it was not. I think Theresa checked us in. I personally gave my cell number to call me when the room would be ready if done early. We started our sightseeing around town. It was now past 3-4p (regular check in time) and still no call, I naturally assumed because of the time it would be ready...real bad assumption. Got back to the hotel around 9pm and was anxious to get my 2 kids showered and relaxed in the room. We were very tired at this point. Got to the check-in line and Alice (manager on duty) was there and this is when my nightmare started.

Room was NOT ready, but she made us follow the bellman with our bags to the room. Housekeeping was still cleaning room. Bellman calls Alice and it sounded like she wanted us to wait until the room was cleaned. ARE YOU FREAKIN' KINDING ME?! it takes a lot to upset me and she pushed every button immediately. she then told bellman to take us to the corner room. holy crap, this was THE smallest room i have ever been given. 2 adults and 2 kids couldve spread their arms out and we wouldve touched one side of the room to the other. WTH....this was worst than a deluxe regular room. oh and btw, i paid for an upgrade too, expecting 2 DOUBLE BEDS EXECUTIVE FLOOR!!! (look on their website under this room category and look at the size). i was expecting this spacious room and what she gave me for all my troubles and inconvenience was 1/4 of that size. BS!!!

bellman now takes me to a junior suite. now WHY did she not give us this room originally? still not the spacious room anyone would expect for a "suite" but whatever i am finally satisfied. it is now almost 10pm. i just want this nightmare to end!

whats very frustrating is:
1. Alice knew I paid for an upgrade. by 9pm, she can tell in her computer system which rooms are ready. but yet she sends me to a "closet" to make me happy. what a joke!
2. no customer service at all. she was very rude and unaccomadating. she talked back to me too. she was very scarcstic the whole time. im sure she was rolling her eyes while talking with me.
3. Alice made me feel bad for not accepting and appreciating the "closet room".
4. this is a slow season for the hotel, no follow up phone call when i already tried to check in 12 hours before
5. I asked for Alice's business card because I knew i'd be doing this. she said she didnt have any and instead wrote her name in the back of the room card envelope. i probably wouldnt have seen it if i didnt take out all the room cards. how can you NOT have a business card when you've been a manager for 5 years? also, with experience, im sure you couldnt handled this much better.
6. this is some of the conversation i had with Alice:
-"What else do you want me to do? i've been doing this for 5 years and now you're telling me how to do my job?"
-"executive rooms ONLY have 1 king size bed". (i was looking at the hotel website and she lied to me
-"to compensate you, I will give you 2 free kids movies". im thinking, "THAT'S ALL?!" (btw, i was still in the closet room at this time). this was a slap in the face. thats suppose to make me happy and satisfied?
7. for being HHonor members, its the expectation to make us happy than the average tourist. we are members because we are loyal to hilton hotels.

My in-laws arrived the next day. I told them about my mishap the night before. they came up to see our room and they were very upset. their room was the 2 double beds executive room (the room i originally upgraded and paid for). we ended up switching rooms the remainder of our trip.

I honestly would have rated this Terrible for this property for obvious reasons. BUT the only reason why I gave it another star was the AWESOME breakfast service we got every morning at the hotel cafe. Nancy and everyone else were fantastic and she went out of her way to make us feel welcomed every morning. On our last morning, we didnt even order, she took care of all 6 of us. After 4 days, she knew what we all liked. She knew I enjoyed a toasted croissant. by the end of the trip she brought it out to me as soon as i sat down. amazing service! even my kids enjoyed Arthur (?) who cooked their omelets. our coffee, water, and juice were always refilled. we all looked forward to seeing her beautiful smile every morning. my kids even took a pic with her on our last morning dining with her because they said it was one of their best parts of their trips. =)

review:
-i would spend the extra money and stay at another hotel closer to all the museums and better restaurants (ie, JW Marriott or the Intercontinental). Next time it will be the Willard Intercontinental.
-i would become loyal to another brand hotel who actually takes care of their members
-i def would not stay here on our next trip, but i would come back to see Nancy and everyone else in the cafe
-several positive things: concierge, bar, and restaurant staff were awesome!

Room Tip: dont pay for the upgrade, you might be put in the "closet" room
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Again I apologize for the issues you mentioned and if you would like to further discuss your stay, please contact me directly. Thank you once again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you. .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Astoria, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel maybe 4 times a years, the rooms are usually decent sized and comfortable. This time couple of things bothered us . The radio in the room didnt work , informed front desk and was exchanged with another one that didnt work, annoying for someone who enjoys music playing in the background. Found traces of blood in the bathroom. And finally the milk for the coffee in the room was no good. On the plus side, we were given complimentary internet service that normally costs money and the room was larger than normal.

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review and sharing your feedback with us.
We would like to apologize for the services in other areas of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. We will make sure all of your comments are shared with the Hotel Management.
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Staff was friendly and the location was great. The breakfast was also good. Bed was very comfortable.
On the downside, the hotel felt a little worn out. Just some chipped paint, scuffs, worn carpet, etc. Noise carried through hallways. A few electrical outlets were broken in the room as was the toilet seat and bathroom fan. Just a few things that you wouldn't expect to have issues with at a hotel of this caliber. Nice hotel but I think there are better options in the area.

Hooksett, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Title says it all: Location is good for tourists, but the rooms are getting in need of make overs -Food was hotel average; not much cose to eat; AVOID Fuel Pizza across the corner !!! Rooms are small, bathrooms decent - Price is fair - Would stay there again

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel dozens of times over the past 10 years. It used to be my favorite hotel in the city under the Hilton brand, but over the past two years, things have gone down hill.

Staff aren't happy. During my most recent stay a staff member actually told me how much they hate working there, but there aren't alot of jobs available. YIKES!

Rooms are comfortable, but nothing special. Food service is spotty. Breakfast buffet is average and sometime room serice is good and sometimes not.

Really, that could be said for the entire hotel. You just never know what you might get. Sad, for what was once a very good hotel. I have given this property it's last chance. There are better options in the city.

If you have low expectations, this hotel will meet them. It is clean, the beds are comfortable and it has a great location. I just travel enough I expect more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of providing exceptional customer service. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area. I do hope that you will be our guest again – thank you for your review.
brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel just before Christmas 2012 for 3 nights - our travel agent must have got a good rate and for its location, it is a great spot. The room we had was very spacious and clean. However, unlike other hotels/motels that we have stayed in our month long vacation in various parts of USA, this hotel can do a lot more with providing better amenities to service it's guests. For starters, no free wifi service in the rooms - I suppose management assumes that as a corporate hotel, it's guests would be willing to pay for such service. If three star properties can provide free Internet access, and that it is not an expensive commodity in this country, why doesn't the Hilton Group reviews its policy on this service? Then, there is no refrigerator in the room. For a corporate style hotel, I cannot work out why this amenity is missing. Then, on Christmas Eve, the hotel decided not to run a buffet for breakfast. As an ex hotel financial controller, I can see the logic - if occupancy is low in holiday season, avoid food wastage to control food cost. But, why was this not advertised on the menu board at the restaurant entrance or advise guests in advance? My family walked in on Christmas Eve morning looking forward to a buffet breakfast only to be advised by an apologetic waitress that they can only provide a la carte menu on that morning. We were so disappointed that we left and had breakfast at a nearby hotel. The staff in the hotel were great - friendly, helpful and services were liveried with smiles. However, management needs to have a good look at its amenities in general, if it is serious to be rated as a corporate hotel.

Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your Tripadvisor review and sharing your feedback with us
We would like to apologize for the services in other areas of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. We truly appreciate your comments and observations and we look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Capital Hilton in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at the Capital Hilton for three nights in late December, just before Christmas. We paid to stay in an executive room, expecting the normal privileges that we have enjoyed elsewhere in Hilton executive rooms. We were disappointed with most aspects of our stay as follows.

All we received for paying over one hundred dollars more for an executive room was bathrobes and an extremely poor continental breakfast. Turns out there were no bathrobes in the closet. We had better continental breakfasts staying in 2 or 3 star hotels while we were driving across the U.S. The cut fruit was old, which you could tell by the rounded edges and the tired look of it. Some of the breakfast plates were dirty. There were polystyrene cups rather than real cups for coffee! The bread did not fit the toaster. A small thing I know, but all these small 'fails' add up to a dissatisfying experience overall.

We tried to sleep in for two of the days. On the first, the maid tried to come in at 8am to clean, waking us up. On the second, she was cleaning the room next door and kept coming in and out of the door, banging it each time, about five times in total. Of course, waking us again.

We ordered a meal from room service, which when it arrived at our room, we found out was $10 more than the price on the menu due to extra 'charges'.

The gym or fitness centre is not complementary, unless you are a gold or silver honours member. Otherwise it is $15 a visit. This was a real surprise. We have stayed at a lot of other places and the gym is always complementary.

There were no afternoon drinks in the executive lounge which is a standard inclusion for executive levels in Australia. No complementary news papers. No happy hour at the bar on the weekend. No complementary wi-fi in the rooms. No fridge in the room although they brought one up after we asked about it.

I could go on with a bit more but I'm sure you get the picture. Invest your hard earned dollars elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an executive level room, it's not worth it.
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your honest review of your recent stay with us. At our hotel, we like to provide a personalized experience for each of our guests, but also look for ways to keep costs low while providing comfort and convenience. We appreciate your feedback and we’ll keep it in mind as we work to make our services better. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences and if you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Been to Capital Hilton? Share your experiences!