“VERY NICE STAY” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #47 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
Poughkeepsie, New York
“VERY NICE STAY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here for one night. Was very quiet, clean, and centrally located. Staff was super friendly and accommodating! Parking was 41 a day, but room i got a deal on Expedia. I wanted to stay near the White House. I thought it was pretty close to everything. We loved DC! The room was spacious, clean, had a big kitchen, and was very quiet. I would definitely stay again! Go eat at Founding Farmers! OMG best food!

• Stayed August 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Louisville, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I spent one night (8/26/2015) at the State Plaza Hotel in Washington, DC. While the hotel is a bit old, it was very clean, quiet, convenient to my meetings, and comfortable. It was also much larger than your average DC hotel room, with a full kitchen. I stayed under the Government Package, which was the government room rate (set by OPM) and included breakfast at the restaurant. Very good for government travelers (except I wish the restaurant had opened at 6:30 AM instead of 7). I arrived at 10 AM and was able to check-in my room early (3 PM is normal check-in time), so that was very much appreciated. The staff was friendly and gave me tips for restaurants and directions to the office building where my meetings were. Having the business center with two internet computers was helpful too. I would stay there again if my travels took me back to the same place.

Stuarts Draft, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Room was ready upon our slightly early arrival and we received an upgrade to a larger suite with a King Bed. Large suite with plenty of room, friendly staff. Older hotel but very nice well kept rooms and very clean. Good location close to major sites so it's possible to walk to most points of interest. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I enjoyed staying at the State Plaza Hotel recently. The staff was friendly and efficient, and the room was very nice. It was terrific to have a full kitchen even though we were only there one night. Everything was clean and the food in the restaurant was tasty. We were within walking distance to restaurants and sites. The only reason I rated it down one notch is that the only bedding available was a heavy duvet. We would have preferred a light, cotton blanket, and the staff said there were none available.

Room Tip: ask for a kitchen
  • Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Ok, I am a full time traveling photographer that spends approximately 200 nights per year in hotels. I booked this hotel thru Priceline and got a very decent rate - so taking in to consideration the old adage of "you get what you pay for, I am ahead of the game. My room was actually a true 1 bedroom apartment. While the furnishings were dated and the carpet stained, the room was very clean and well supplied with the normal sundries and the kitchenette was well stocked with standard cooking utensils. Again - I was impressed. However, here is where my issue comes - I am a full time travel photographer that specializes in fashion & beauty photography. I generally do the majority of my magazine shoots in or around the hotel that I am staying in. I have made friends with, stayed at and conducted shoots in some of the most prestigious hotels in the world including Four Seasons, Renaissance, Marriott's and others. I have strong references from the General Managers from these properties and more, While conducting my shoots, I am VERY sensitive to not interfering with business and make a point of being as unobtrusive as possible. So when I check in to the State Plaza on Tuesday; I ask to speak with the GM to make my pitch for permission to shoot on property. I have been doing this for years and have very strong references from GM's of some of the most prestigious hotels in the US, London and Rome. Seriously. Long story short - after 3 consecutive days of asking to speak with the GM with no reply- it's shoot day and I have models and assistants booked, I gotta do something, I again go to the desk and a assistant GM comes to deal with me and my answer is NO. 2 hours before my shoot after asking daily for 3 consecutive days to speak with the GM - I am told no. Ok - no is no and my problem is not with the negative reply. My issue is that as a guest that has booked and paid for in advance a supposed 4.5 star property (according to Priceline) I simply asked to speak to the GM for 3 consecutive days and still while here on my 5th day do not know what the man looks like. Scuttle but from the staff that I have spoken with is that he is a Irish man with a serious "I'm very important" complex and his staff has little respect for him as a result. The only reason I lend credence to this opinion is the fact that I am a GUEST. He had no idea of what I wanted to speak with him about but he still would not take the 10 minutes that I had asked for to speak with me, Again - I have recently Checked in to the Grand Plaza Hotel in Rome Italy (a true 5 star property) and when I checked in and asked to speak with the GM - he met me at the elevator on my way to the room. He did turn down my request but he showed me the respect of meeting me and having the decency of hearing me out. The GM at the State Plaza apparently is more important or has less respect for his guests. I know that I am being bitter in my review, but I am bitter. This manager was very rude & disrespectful in not giving me the respect of 5 minutes of his precious time. I have references, website, magazine credits and everything else, but I can take a "no" from someone that at least shows me the respect of giving me 5 minutes of his time. SO - the hotel is dated but clean and well maintained. The property is fairly priced. Physically this property would probably be the deal of DC if it wasn't for the fact that we as paying guests are apparently nuisances to management. The lower the level of staff member - the nicer and more accommodating they are. On the opposite side - the higher on the food chain of the staff member that you are dealing with - the more you are made to feel insignificant and not worthy of that person's time...

• Stayed August 2015, traveled on business
Declan K, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Brian W.,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the breakdown of communication among my team and I that lead to you feeling disrespected, as I was only made aware of one time that you were seeking an answer regarding an opportunity to conduct a photo shoot on property for which you obtained an answer from our AGM. I would very much welcome the opportunity to gain more insight to this situation, if you would be kind enough to contact me at either my phone number (202-861-8200) or via email at generalmanager@stateplaza.com. Once again Brian, I am very sorry that you left with a negative impression and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Declan Kealy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel was extremely nice. Welcoming hello when I first walked through the door and the service continued to be great throughout the week. I really enjoyed the daily complementary water bottle and full size kitchen.

Dear Andrew B,

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, as we strive to ensure guest satisfaction. We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to the State Plaza Hotel!

Declan Kealy,
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The positive points of this hotel are for sure the amount of space you get for a reasonable price and location (walking distance from the monuments on The Mall). We also like the Foggy Bottom neighbourhood with many restaurants and of course the George Washington university.
Downsides might be the slightly dated bathroom.

Stayed August 2015, traveled with family
Dear Karin H,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our clean and spacious rooms along with our convenient location, as we are just minutes away from the National Mall and many other attractions. We hope to see you again soon!

Declan Kealy