“Great location and place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #52 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Lexington, South Carolina
“Great location and place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Gerald was wonderful! My husband ad I stayed here while he attended a meeting for a national committee he serves, and the service and quality was excellent1 Gerald not only helped me with finding transportation to the Smithsonian via the Metro, but handled parking and putting bags into our car and waiting for me in the lobby! He was great with details and directions!!

Room Tip: Rooms were excellent! The hotel staff was super in all ways!
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Orange Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This property is an older, but very well maintained pair of buildings. It is very convenient to GWU and the State Department, but it's a good long walk to the closest Metro stop at Foggy Bottom. There are several Metro bus stops very close to the hotel, so download the WAMATA (Washington Area Metropolitan Area Transit Authority) app and use the very reliable bus service to plan your excursions around town. (Buy a Smart Trip card at a Metro Rail station to use the bus system) The room we had included a full kitchen, which was a wonderful bonus. There is a CVS and a liquor store right next to the hotel for the essentials, and a fully stocked grocery store nearby. The bed was very firm and comfortable. Other furnishings are older, but in good shape. The room overall was very comfortable and roomy. Housekeeping service was perfect. Front desk staff and bell staff were very friendly. As former residents of the area, we didn't need help with directions and so forth, but overheard the staff giving very helpful advice to visitors.

Room Tip: The elevators in the E street building are very slow. A room with a kitchen on the 2nd or 3rd floor...
Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked the room through their website for a 4-nite stay for business in D.C. The location of this hotel is perfect if you have business at the Department of State building and it is within walking distance to the Lincoln Memorial and Washington monument. The State Plaza is NOT an economy hotels e.g., Motel 6, Econo Lodge, etc., therefore their prices are a bit more and I consider them in the medium to high price range as compared to the economy hotels. I am a federal employee and had a federal employee package which costs $229 a night, breakfast included. Here is a list of pros and cons as I see them in my opinion:

Pros:
- Location: located directly behind the State Department building, CVS right next door, and there is a Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks very close, and there is a bus stop across the street.
- The front desk clerk and entire staff were very polite and nice.
- The room was very large and clean.
- The king size bed was extremely comfortable and I LOVE the crisp clean and bright white sheets and duvet cover. Many hotels use bed comforters and are not cleaned often. There were 6 comfortable pillows on the bed, usually hotels only provide 2-3 pillows.
- There was a separate room with a fully equipped kitchen and small dining area. The kitchen was equipped with a full size refrigerator, microwave, stove, dishware and flatware, pots and pans, coffee maker and coffee, toaster, and there was a large sink to wash dishes..
- The room had a flat screen TV, desk, and lounge chair.
- There is a separate vanity area before entering the bathroom.
- The breakfast that was included in my package, although not a buffet, was very good. The breakfast was called the State Breakfast which included 2 eggs cooked any style, home fries, fresh fruit, toast and with a choice of bacon, pork sausage, or ham, coffee, tea, and juice. I left full every morning.
- The hotel staff brought a couple of bottles of water every evening.
- A daily newspaper was left in front of the door every morning.
- I was able to have a late check-out normally 12:00, but they let me stay until 1:00 p.m.
- The front desk staff made arrangements for a taxi to take me to Dulles International Airport.

CONS:
- Other than the cost there are not many CONS.
- NO free buffet breakfast, although you can get a breakfast package at a significantly higher cost.
- Not the best location to go sight seeing, although it is not a very long walk to the Lincoln Memorial and you can catch tourist transportation e.g., hop-on-hop off buses at the Lincoln/Vietnam War Memorial stop.

All-in-all, this hotel was perfect for me due to business, as well as seeing the sights of D.C. I used the Big Bus hop-on-hop off service (I personally do not recommend, see different Trip Advisor review). But I highly recommend this hotel, and if I have business at the State Department, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Gene M,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us with your review. It is always great to hear from our guest, as it is your feedback that helps us to better serve you. I am delighted to know that we were a great fit for your business trip, thank you so much for your recommendation and we hope to see you again soon!

Decla Kealy
McAlester, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My daughter is spending the summer in DC as an intern. I booked this hotel the end of May to move her in. The bed is fantastic! The rooms on the north side have been recently renovated. Although we didn't use the kitchen much, it was available. We rolled our suitcases to her dorm room in South Hall. I just finished with my second stay and as usual it was great. The doorman, Gerald is very attentive and with the rest of the staff very eager to help and make for a great stay. I'm coming back two more times. Easy to find and not too far from the metro.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated tower with a kitchen.
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Dear Okflowergirl,

Thank you for your glowing review. I am delighted to see how convenient our location was for you during your visit with your daughter, as we are directly across the street from the GWU campus. I am happy to know that you will be returning to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Declan Kealy,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

An older building with a new make over. A very friendly professioal staff eager to assist with luggage directions and car park. Nice location to walk to Monuments without having to drive and find parking. Close to Georgetown and it's restaurants and night life. Highly recommended. Only negative no pool.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Dear Sholl789,

Thank you for your review. It is great to know that due to our convenient location and friendly service your stay with us was a great one. We hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just completed a three-night stay at the State Plaza Hotel in DC. Staff was kind and very considerate of our needs. Suite was immaculately clean, beds very comfortable and free Wi-Fi was fast and easily accessible. This hotel was randomly selected on Trip Advisor for its location in Foggy Bottom and its clear accessibility to the Metro, Mall and other DC attractions. We were in no way disappointed in our selection and will always choose the State Plaza Hotel in any future visits to DC. Our sincere thanks to staff and management for helping make our DC visit a truly memorable one. Ron and Lynn Moore, Seminole, FL

Room Tip: Ask for a room in north end of north wing for closer access to Metro, if that is a consideration.
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Dear James M,

Thank you for such a glowing review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel, as our team works very hard to ensure each guest has a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Good hotel but I thought it was slightly expensive - maybe this is the norm in the Capital. The Lincoln Memorial and the Mall are a short distance walk from the hotel. The best way to see the city is via the Big Bus Tours. Not many places to eat or drink within walking distance but there is a nice bar/restaurant a few minutes walk around the corner called Tonic.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear CardiffMano,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is nice to know that you enjoyed our convenient location, as we are just minutes away from the National Mall and many other attractions. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to the nation’s capital!

Declan Kealy

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!