“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book & Save 10%
Ranked #57 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The renovated rooms were fabulous. The checkin did not run smoothly because of valet parking. They say valet but you wind up parking your own car and getting charged for valet. They need to fix that but the rooms are modern, spacious and useful. Kitchenette was nice and spacious as well.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Southeastern Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My client, George Washington University (GWU), put me here. I was checked in by Anna, a very efficient, kind and welcoming person... She... along with the bellman-staff were consistently friendly and helpful. In contrast, ALL of the remaining front-desk staff I interacted with were at best disinterested and at worst sullen... one being even hostile. A small favor was requested by GWU. It should be noted that along with the IMF/World Bank and the US State Dept. are the three largest customers of this hotel. Large enough that when asked for a very small favor... a prudent business response on the part of the hotel... would be to grant it. None of the desk staff had the sense or savvy to do so, deferring every request (by me and by GWU senior staff) to "the Manager" who was not in the afternoon of my check-in and was coming in late the day of my departure. Very poor business-sense on the part of these staff people... one of which was actually hostile to a GWU administrator following up on the simple requested favor.

All of that said, my room was spacious, quiet, spotlessly clean and comfortable. The hotel is well located. I would rate this property Very Good if not for the shortsightedness of some front-desk staff members.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Bogotá, Cundinamarca, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a good place to stay. The hotel runs efficiently, The room I stay was an apartment, with working kitchen, large livingroom, clean bathroom and a good bedroom. The apartment was clean. Bed confortable and pillows OK.
The small restaurant has good service and standard food. Breakfast was not included.
People working at hotel, was helpful, getting a taxi or making a restaurant reservation. There is a fitness room that I did not use since I walked over 10 miles per day visiting the landmarks of the city on Cherry Blossoms week.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you expect a hotel with granite counters and travertine tile in large bathrooms, this hotel is not for you. The State Plaza Hotel is a modest hotel that is clean and in a great location (easy walking distance) to the monuments and Arlington and rates are about $100 less per night than the big name hotel chains. The photos are what you should expect for the rooms which represent rooms for hotels built in the 1960s period. The staff is polite and helpful. The clientele appeared to be college age or visiting retirees. To get to the dining room in the North tower, you will need to pass through the parking garage. But if you choose to prepare any of your own meals, the kitchenette is sufficient; bring your own garbage bags because none are provided and there is no garbage disposal. Groceries can be purchased at the Whole Foods on I Street and 22nd Street on the George Washington University campus.

Room Tip: Do not book via Expedia. Best Price Guarantee is not honored. Book only if you can cancel without...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We needed to stay close to the White House for the Easter Egg Roll. It was a bit of a walk there and to the mall, but very reasonable. The hotel is amenable to having families stay, and while we only stayed for one night I think it would have been ideal for a longer stay due to the full kitchenette. We appreciated the dressing room area off of the bathroom with a door to close it off from the bedroom area, ideal with a child to allow privacy for changing or let the child go to bed while the adults stay up to read, etc. The hotel had some great details, but was more functional than luxurious. It was very clean which is far more important to us. The price was great for the area, and in the GWU area making it feel very safe while still being very accessible. It is also very close to the Kennedy Center. All of the employees were professional but responded well to our 6 year old when she asked questions (like where a trash can was in the lobby, and if they could hold our bags while we went out). The cons for us were the noise from the alley outside the window, the temperature in the room (hot day after a season of cold ones, so the higher floors hadn't cooled down yet), and that wifi never worked for us. However those things were all manageable, and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel the rooms look out on a college dorm, with early Monday morning trash pickup in th...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Oklybb,

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that our convenient location and our spacious rooms with a kitchen were just what you needed for your trip. We are happy to hear that you would stay with us again and we can’t wait to see you again soon!

Best Regards,

Declan Kealy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

They gave us a good price for a great room, and the hotel is within 3 miles of everything. The staff there was so friendly and helpful. They would help me and my family plan an awesome vacation. 100% would recommend.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Trevor S,

We were so happy to have read your review. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, as guest satisfaction is our top priority. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to the nation’s capital!

Best Regards,

Declan Kealy
Ringwood Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here because it was close to places I had to go for business. I used to stay at the Watergate and like being in Foggy Bottom, but there aren't too many hotels. At first I wondered about my choice as I checked out the two towers, walking through the garage back and forth, and the gun metal gray hallways. But the room was clean, comfortable, quiet, and the kitchenette was a nice surprise. There is a small business center with computers and printer, which I needed. Small fitness center. Front desk and doormen very helpful. I would stay here again, but it is pricey compared to other hotels, even in DuPont circle where I stayed previously.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!