“Huge rooms, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Get Up & Go Package
Ranked #58 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
London, UK
“Huge rooms, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

A business trip and the hotel was chosen for me which is good in a way as it adds a degree of objectivity.

This is a deceptive hotel with two entrances in two different streets and therefore two receptions. This did confuse me on occasion in terms of where my room was !! Reception is very minimalist - no frills but efficient nonetheless.

When you walk down the corridors you get a feeling that the hotel is quite drab. It is actually a converted apartment building which shows in its layout. But this means the rooms are huge. The bed I could have got four people in (didn't try but take my word), there is a kitchen/diner and small study area and a modern bathroom. Absolutely no complaints.

Location is slap bang in the middle of the GW university campus and the main attractions are within a 15 minute walk. Metro is 10 mins away. All very pleasant.

Services - didn't eat (I have an old proverb. I don't sleep in restaurants so why would I eat in a hotel). But wifi was excellent and free. Taxi services to the airport were competitive. Staff were what you would expect in the US - quick to welcome you and offer help.

For the short stay visitor this would be a good choice.

• Stayed July 2014
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear SimonndJulie,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and spacious rooms. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Declan Kealy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I just came home yesterday from a mini vacation with my 14 year old son. This hotel is excellent for price and location. The staff is wonderful. The rooms were VERY Clean and up to date. We ate at the restaurant for dinner and it was very good. My son had the Angus burger and I had the chicken asian salad. The food was fresh and the staff was wonderful. I am very pleased overall with our stay here. I read the reviews on trip advisor prior to booking my stay and must say they were pretty accurate. I also enjoyed the location to attractions....we walked and took the Metro to and from many things!! In addition next door to the State Plaza Hotel is a CVS which came in handy since we had a full kitchen in our room. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rhonda C,

Thank you for posting your review. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel from the cleanliness of our rooms to our easily accessible location. We are just minutes away from the National Mall and other attractions and I am happy to hear how accommodating this was for you. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Washington, DC!

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My mother in law, granddaughter and I stayed here for 4 days when we made a quick trip to DC last week.

We arrived 3 hrs before check in time but were able to be checked in and be taken to a room right away. That was such a bonus. We were able to settle in and be out on our way to sight seeing by noon.

The room, with two queen beds was very spacious and extremely clean. The beds were comfortable, linens very nice. Bath towels plentiful and soft which was a real plus. Having the fridge was great but we really did miss having a microwave. We brought home left overs from a great dinner but there was no way to reheat them :(

Every single staff member we encountered was extremely pleasant and helpful. Especially Tevin...He was such a good sport hauling in all the things the 3 of us deemed necessary for a short trip. And he didn't laugh at us...much :)

We had no problem getting a taxi and were offered the hotel limo several times to get where we were going. Nabib was a delight and he got us to the Washington Monument in time to make our trip up!

Valet parking was great. I didn't feel the price was bad for underground parking ($32 + tax) and we were able to access our car easily when we needed to retrieve a left behind cell phone charging cord.

We had no trouble with the free wifi. It worked reliably and the speed was satisfactory.

I personally loved the location. Easy walk to the National Mall. Just a half a mile to the Lincoln Memorial. Handy CVS right next door. It was quiet and felt safe when we were out walking about late.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan a return trip next year...definitely will once again be guest at the State Plaza. Thank you for everything!

Room Tip: We had originally asked for a renovated room but due to early arrival one was not available at that...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear OhioPoppy,

We are so happy to have read your review. It is always great to hear such positive feedback regarding our service, as we strive to make sure every guests needs are being met. Tevin is such an asset to our team and I will be sure to inform him of how helpful he was to you during your stay. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we can’t wait to see you next year!

Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

In trying to make a reservation online, I had several questions. Jose was "on-deck" and received each of my calls patiently, pleasantly and with good information. He assisted me in clarifying and evaluation the many different packages the hotel offers to ensure that I got the best arrangement for my needs. In my travels, I have found that this sort of staff effort usually comes from the tone set from higher up and permeates the entire enterprise. I fully expect to have a wonderful stay here, and to encounter other staff who reflect Jose's attitude and service.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Experimentaltraveler,

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear how helpful Jose was to you while making your reservation. I will be sure to tell him to keep up the good work! I trust that you will have a wonderful stay with us and I look forward to reading your next review.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I am enjoying the hotel! The positives are excellent location, grey and chocolate color scheme.extremely good staff. I called in at about 11.30pm, couldn't find a cab. The young man on the desk "walked me home " by phone. He remained pleasant, and cheered when I made it. A great plus is there is a CVS next door so you can buy light meals, snacks, milk, whatever. I wish I could give it a five but the pillows are so huge I can't imagine who would be comfortable, without a neck ache in the AM. Beds are hard, bed cover is a quilt so either just a sheet or too hot quilt. I will come again, bringing a light cotton blanket, my own pillow and endure the hard bed. The pluses way out weigh the bedding.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow and a light blanket
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Patricia W.,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. I am happy to hear that you received such courteous service from our front desk team, as we make it our top priority to make sure our guests are comfortable. It’s great to know that you will be returning to stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Hi we stayed here for 3 nights. It was a great room, had a kitchen which was very handy, and the room was very spacy. It was close to everything.
Fabulous service!! Shout out to Mohammed who helped us so much with planning our stay in DC, he was great :)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Travelerrrrrrrrrr,

Thank you so much for posting your review. It’s great to know how much you enjoyed our spacious rooms with a kitchen. I will be sure to pass on your kudos to Mohammad for helping to make your stay great. We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to our nation’s capital!

Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days and I really enjoyed it. The hotel location is very close to the most important sites in Washington, D.C. , 5 minutes walking to the White House and 10 minutes to Lincoln memorial, 15 minutes to the Capitol. The rooms are very comfortable, much space, very good facilities, feels like home. They make very good traditional American breakfast. The employees are very professional, helpful, and pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the back gate are better
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ramez Q.,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us on tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that our convenient location, spacious rooms along with our professional and pleasant service helped to make your stay great. We hope to see you again soon, the next time your travels bring you to the nations capitol!

Declan Kealy

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!