“This hotel was a good choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sizzling Summer Savings!
Ranked #59 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
North Dakota
“This hotel was a good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I liked the location of this hotel, close to GW University, the White House, the monuments, and the museums. The bed was excellent and there was a full kitchen area (in which I only used the coffee maker). The decor had a 1950s feel, with green ceramic tile in the bathroom, etc. The entire hotel was clean, comfortable, and the room price was very affordable. Wireless internet in the room was reliable. The flat screen TV worked well and there was an excellent selection of channels. The restaurant in the lower level is an informal feeling but "white tablecloth" place with a limited menu, good service, and reasonable prices. In Washington DC there are lots of hotels with much higher prices and not much more in terms of value. I recommend the State Plaza for those on a budget who would appreciate the kitchen, the safe area, cleanliness, and handy location.

896 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel is very close to the Lincoln Memorial
It is located in a strategic place, so you can visit all the monuments and museums by bus, metro or just walking. I love to walk so i did all my trips walking with a city map to have a chance to take photos, take a look at the restaurants and the DC enviorement.
There are lots of places where you can eat including the hotel restaurant. At Pennsylvania Ave you can find Farmers Foundation, Jhonnys Rocket, also there are starbucks or subway around the corner. There is also a liquor store and a small supermarket with pharmacy two steps away from the hotel. I have to add that i came alone and on February (the weather was still cold)
Yes it is true the elevator takes some time but to tell the truth if you are in vacation trip, whats the hurry? Jaja The rooms are big, i was at 8th floor with a nice view of Capitol Hill and Washington monument. The room was clean, and in order. The hotel staff helped me when asking for info, reserving the taxi for leaving and even printing my boarding pass. The internet in my room was good. Sometimes it faded when moving my Ipad to but worked fine at the desktop or bed. The location and price were the two things that made me decide for this option. Hope this info helps you travel and enjoy DC.

Room Tip: The 8th floor has a nice view and is less noisy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear RicktrellesPTY,

We appreciate your time in giving us your review on your most recent stay with us. We are glad you found our location and hotel value "best". Sounds like you also had a good tour of Washington DC which is great. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future. Take care.
Simsbury, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed in this lovely hotel. The room was clean, spacious and nicely appointed. We loved having a kitchen. Our only complaint was the early morning noise. There was some construction every morning that sounded like loud banging on the roof and our room was on the top floor.
The hotel is located walking distance to the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, and many monuments and museums. We were in DC to visit colleges, very convenient location and great price.

Room Tip: Ask about renovation, get a renovated room away from the construction.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Linda P,

We were glad to know you found our hotel lovely. We apologize for the inconvenience of having to hear the loud banging in the morning. We were updating some flooring and the noises have ceased. It is part of our continued effort to renovate the hotel. We thank you and your daughter for staying with us and hope that you'll enjoy our renovated hotel should you stay with us again in the future.
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at State Plaza Hotel in mid-February. Very large room with a kitchenette and makeup room, separate from the bedroom. Asked for a microwave which helped a lot. Large refrigerator and dishes and utensils provided. Room dated-looking but beds were very comfortable. Makeup room separate from bathroom and very large. Staff was very helpful and interested in my well-being at all times. CVS next door was great! I bought food and kept it in the kitchen which made life a lot easier. At the corner of Virginia and 20th, so easy to get a cab. About a 8 block walk to Foggy Bottom Metro station. Lots of light on the street so I was comfortable walking alone, even at night. Close to GW and GW Hospital. Very central to the Mall and other downtown places.
I was very pleasantly surprised but the comfort, especially at the price. It is really nice to stay in fancy upgraded hotels but they run almost $100 more per night and lack any sort of kitchen or microwave. I would easily stay here again, on business or family vacations.

Shelburne, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a somewhat older building that has been updated very nicely. My room was spotlessly clean when I arrived and I had no problems during my stay. It's in a very good location if you're visiting the District to see the monuments, etc. It's a ten minute cab ride from the airport (DCA) and you can easily walk to the Lincoln Memorial and other sites. The staff was very helpful and friendly. About the only negative was the elevator - it is really sloooooowwww, but that was a minor concern. I will definitely stay here again visiting DC.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Good sized rooms on offer with living room and kitchen area, also within good walking distance from the Lincoln Memorial.
The only things I didn't like are:
- the wifi is slow
- the elevator is probably the slowest I have ever experienced, I feel as if I could climb a set of stairs in half the time of the elevator.
- the fitness centre has a carpet, this is unhygenic and should be replaced by rubber flooring.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear numb15,

Thank you for taking the time to review the State Plaza Hotel. We're glad that you had a good stay with us. We are currently addressing all of the issues you've pointed out which should all be improved/replaced by the time we are finished with our renovations which is currently taking place. We hope to see you again in the future.
Sugar Land, TX USA (near Houston)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Picked this hotel for vacation stay due to decent trip advisor ratings, location, & price.

Location: great! Just north of the National Mall by 2 blocks. Less than one mile west of White House. 5 min walk from Metro. Next door to 24 hour CVS pharmacy & a liquor store. On edge of George Washington University campus so Starbucks, deli, all around the corner. For the price is best locale for tourists to DC.

Rooms: older furnishings but beds very comfy and linens / pillows all nice quality; hotel started renovation so if they don't raise prices will be a hot property soon; rooms had mini kitchen; most important everything was very clean

Staff: very nice... No complaints but didn't need to interact with them much

Did not use their restaurant so no comments there. Car service to Reagan airport $20. No complaints there.

Good place...we would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!