“Great Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #51 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Springfield, Missouri
“Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I read many reviews before choosing this hotel and was very satisfied with my selection! The hotel is a bit older but is great when traveling with family. Has a small kitchen (If you cook something, just ask for pots and pans from the front desk) with a table for two. The bathroom does not have a vent (Shower head is great!) and the powder room is a plus. The hotel does have an elevator but it does run slower than most I'm used to. Overall this was a excellent choice for our stay, 3-4 blocks is the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. Only reason I have this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 was because upon check in, it was unusually hotel for a January day and the room was steaming! Couldn't turn on the AC because the hotel only runs the heat or air conditioning one at a time, settled with a fan which worked out nicely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the ally way to try and avoid noises from below.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear mhj021,

Thank you for your review. We do remember getting unusually warm days last month (January) and we apologize for the inconvenience. However, we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were very satisfied with your selection. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Forest Hills, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The suite I stayed in was furnished some time ago and looked pretty old. The cleanliness was readable but not spectacular. The bottom line is that the hotel is at a great location (walking distance to Lincoln Memorial) but the suite looked like a 70s NYC apartment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Samuel,

We're glad you found our location great. We are also happy to lt you know that we are currently undergoing a floor by floor renovation to update all of our suites. We hope you'll come visit us again in the future and let us know what you think of the new look. Take care.
Abuja, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was at this hotel for six weeks and loved it. It was a business trip for me but I was later joined by my family for a short holiday and it was great. One large and spacious bedroom with LCD and an even more spacious living room with a pull out sofa and another LCD. A delightful kitchenette with "everything". Accessible from both E and F Streets. It is located right next to a 24-hour mega CVS which was super! I believe it's greatest asset is the employees who were all very helpful and courteous. It is about a15 minute walk from the metro station and if you do not like walking, you can catch a bus to the metro station right in front of the hotel on the E street end. Furnishings a bit old and quaint but I liked it. I do recommend though that if you plan to use your pull out sofa, be sure to inspect it first before you accept the room. For the price, the comfort and convenience that came with it was well worth it!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over looking the alley as there is a fair amount of revving noise constantly coming from...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Kate O,

It was our pleasure to have had you as our Guest for six weeks. Quite a few of our staff remember you very well and they were delighted to have served you. We're glad you felt right at home with us during your stay. We send our greetings to Nigeria! Take care.
Foros de Salvaterra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel! They made us an up-grade of the room and we were in a huge room with kitchen (with microwave, stove, fridge with top cabinet and coffee maker), bathroom, living room with lcd, hall, 2 large closets and room with another lcd. Fantastic! Very clean and arranged! is not a new hotel, but there is concern to keep everything looking good. the staff are all very friendly and accessible, always ready to help. Very well located in a quiet area!
Fantastic value for money! I recommend!

Room Tip: All the hotel is excellent!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Elsacadete,

We were glad to know you enjoyed our facilities. We do our best to keep the hotel very clean and fresh looking. Our housekeeping staff will be glad when I share your review with them. Thank you in advance for your recommendation and we hope to see you again in the future.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Not too far from train station. Convenient location.. Lovely large room with all the amenities. Would certainly stay there again. Reception most helpful. Can also book Red Line at front desk. Only down side was the wifi...needed to go out in the corridor to access as could not connect in the room. Do have computers downstairs though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shelby, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here in early December for an event at the State Department. If you need to be near the State Department for business, this is the place to stay. The hotel is very clean and the staff could not be more helpful. Our room had old school furnishings but were classy. We are walkers and it is no problem walking to White House and the closer museums. The price for our room was very reasonable. We stayed there 12-17 thru 12-21. The rooms were just $133.00/night. The room was huge. It included a large bedroom with 2 beds, a powder area, large bathroom, large living room , dining room with table and full kitchen. There is a drug/grocery store next door to get snacks. If you are tired of the chain hotel experience, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room on upper floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Scott O,

We're glad you found our location convenient for your business in DC and our suites huge and our in-room furnishings classy. We promise to continue to provide the kind of service and value to all our Guests to earn 5 star reviews such as yours. Thank you very much.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I am not terribly picky, I really a not, so please take this review with that grain of salt. I very rarely have ever given a hotel a bad review so for me, so this is pretty dang bad. I will start with the only positive thing which kept this from being a terrible review...here comes the positive
1. Location - very well located near White House and major sites
2- Price - very fair for the area ...please read on however...
Here are the reasons for my poor rating however
1. It was incredibly hot in the room and you could NOT control the individual room thermostat besides just turning it off...I couldnt even open a window in th bedroom and there were no ceiling fans. The only window that would open is in the kitchen- which is the polar opposite area and behind a divindg wall from the bedroom...so you could not feel the breeze. I kid you not when I tell you i was practically sweating, they had it so high.
2. I decided to ask for a fan to be brought up...when they finally did arrive (after three phone calls), it was FILTHY. The fan looked like it was sitting in a garage or a basement for years and no one used it in ges. It had so much dirt and grime on it (especially on the blades) that there was no way I was putting that on. I called up and asked them to clean it- they took a long time to do this, and although it was done upon my request, this delayed sleep even more and it should have been clean to start with. Unacceptable.
3. The maids didnt supply extra toilet tissue when they made up the bathroom when it was clearly almsot out - tat night, I had to call and ask them to bring more- they brought merely one roll after another delay and two asks.
4. There are two front desks - one for one tower, and one for another, and they didnt seem to communicate well
5. The Internet was out the first night I got there for the whole hotel
6. The TV was staticky and you couldnt watch barely any channel clear...when I brought this to their attention, they didnt see suprised nd they offered a new TV (the probem was with the reception not the TV...dude)
7. If you're n the second tower, its a bit of a hike to your room going inside, then outside in the parking garage, then in again
8. PARKING- need to be paid for- there is no self-parking...you must valet and pay $28.00 per day to park your car (and don;t forget to tip the valet- who was nice...thank God). I like to know where my car is and get it when I wish on my own. anyone else want that option?
9. There is not a complimentary breakfast or anythhing...you must pay for the pricy food in the hotel.

So, after all this, I made a complaint on the first few items especially and was told they understand and they apologize but all they could do is give me free parking as recompense. I did not like this room at all....I will not b going back and I recommend you look somewhere else...tooo many things went wrong in a two-three day experience to risk going here again. Trust me, there are better place in DC to stay- even if you have to pay a little more.

Room Tip: *Look elsewhere...trust me*
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear D K,

Thank you for your review. Your opinions are very important to us and we will make sure to address and improve on these issues you've pointed out. Please contact me directly should you have any questions. Kind regards.