“Geat Value, Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Get Up & Go Package
Ranked #57 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Stow, MA
“Geat Value, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The staff was fantastic - helpful, friendly, pleasant, all the things a hotel staff should be. The rooms were immaculately clean and large with a small kitchen and a separate "make-up" table that was great. The rooms are plain and the decor is dated- no frills but comfortable and for the money this is a great value in an otherwise expensive city. We loved our stay here and especially the buses that stopped right in front of the hotel. It's close to the Mall and the Lincoln Memorial. Recommend it highly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just returned from a one-week stay in DC and I can't say enough good things about this hotel! We arrived quite early so the front desk staff held our bags and provided a map with directions to some sights to visit in the area while our room was being prepared. We received a third-floor corner room that is larger than my son's college apartment! Nicely-appointed with comfortable beds and furniture as well as a full kkitchen and two flatscreened TVs. Housekeeping staff kept our room immaculate and honored any extra request (i.e. extra coffee). The morning newspaper is a nice touch at your doorstep each day. The staff are helpful and willing to go the "extra mile." They even assisted me in printing our boarding pass when there were issues with a website. The hotel's location is perfect and we decided to walked to every event on our travel itinerary except a few times when the front desk quickly ordered a taxi for us. We never used the city bus, but there appears to be a bus stop across the street should you need it. Also a 24-hr CVS pharmacy is right next door. One evening, we ate in the hotel bistro and had a wide variety of choices. Our food was tasty and as good or better than other DC-area restaurants. To sum it up, if I had the option for 6 stars, I would use it! We WILL be back!

Room Tip: If your stay is more than one or two nights, ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear pbpvol,

It was a pleasure to have read your review and we are happy you apprciated our services. It's rather flaterring to think that we deserve "6" stars if you could have given that many to us. We hope to be able to serve you again. Take care.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed here for 5 days in November 2012 and the room was sumptuous-we had two double beds and a kitchenette which we appreciated. The business suite was great with unlimited internet access. The location was good: close to the Lincoln Memorial but it was a good 30 minute walk to the Capitol. The staff were welcoming but could have been a bit more astute as we mentioned that we were expecting a package and it was promptly sent back to FedEx which was not very helpful. We enjoyed our stay in this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Tika K,

Thank you for staying with us for almost a week. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found our location to be good. We apologize for the mishap on the FedEx package and we promise to be more attentive next time. Happy Holidays!
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I spent 3 nights here with some friends in early September. Hotel is in a great location, maybe a 20 minute drive from Reagan Airport, and an easy walk to the museums and monuments.

Our room was huge! It had 2 beds, a huge kitchen (complete with dishware, table & chairs, stove top and fridge) and equally big bathroom/ dressing area. It was really clean and in a good location - we didn't have any noise.

The room keys were a little odd - kind of like an old school key but electronic (like a usb drive), easy to lose so be careful.

Also, there are two entrances/buildings to the hotel - one on E Street and the other on F Street. If you check in on E Street and are in the F Street building, you'll have to cut through the parking garage, which is a little strange, and the lobby in the F Street building isn't staffed 24 hours, so if you need anything you'll have to go to the E Street lobby.

Would definitely stay here again. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shorty808,

Greetings to you up north and thank you for taking the time of to review your stay at the State Plaza Hotel. Our rooms are some of the largest you'll find in the city as they were once efficiency condos converted to hotel rooms but we've kept the kitchens and separate vanity rooms in each of the rooms. Our key system will probably be different after our renovations this year and they will look like thin credit cards and you can just scan them at the door for entry.

Take care and we hope to see you again.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

One night stay for business trip - chosen by office. I found I was paying over $50 per night more than they were offering on the web - very confusing pricing - $99 BAR or $160 Government rate? Anyway, I first thought I must have a great rate since I was on the ground floor with a view of the back of a building with a garbage dumpster - apparently not! Also opposite a room they use for groups attending meetings for lunch - noisy at that time. So first advice, stay higher up and not on the first floor in the back building. Yes, the rooms are converted from apartments. Mine was a studio size - large. Huge kitchen - old cabinets and stove top. I think you could ask for a microwave but they may charge you more. Huge refrigerator. Very comfy kind bed. Liked the dressing room and old fashioned vanity with lights. Very good towels - Frette and products.Bistro - got a take away sandwich which was fine. Breakfast - had the continental - not a very good selection of breads/pastries, fresh fruit salad and yogurts. Good coffee. Staff very nice and helpful. Overall, I think it depends on the room you get and if you want to cook yourself. Location very good for business and sightseeing.

Room Tip: West side - stay high.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear newyork025,

Thank you for posting your review. We are always striving to get better and these reviews offer us the best sources where we need to focus to do just that. We do deliver microwaves at no charge. We're glad you enjoyed our restaurant and that you found our staff nice and helpful. Take care.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I opened a trip advisor account just to review this Hotel. I've read the other reviews and they are all pretty accurate. When I arrived, my cab door was opened by John (a gentleman in a suit) he took my luggage to the desk and got me through the check out process, he was a tall well groomed polite man, might have been a manager, definatley has a nice attitude and was happy to be there. My room "wow" and it was just me using all this space, I could have brought my kids along since I was just traveling from Baltimore for two nights, the room was actually that big. Housekeeping was prompt friendly, they seemed to be very detailed with the cleaning methods, although the room was a little dated, I was still comfortable. As an architect I could see and tell that the room was maintained by maintenace, a lot of the details in the rooms have had attention given to them. Even the bright colored tile in the bathroom had clean grouted edges, I could see the electrical had just been updated so, the rooms are kept sharp. I really did not want to write this part but it is a review, the restaurant is awful, whoever is running the up keep of the hotel is obvioulsy not in charge of the restaurant. First, it's dirty and smelly, it smells like the same old mop has been wiped all over the floor for five years. I am familliar with this particualr smell as i worked alot of restaurants through my college and grad years, the dirty ones always smell the same. Second, why do you not have itemized breakfast menu instead of the terrible buffet that is overpriced cold and just not appetizing. The other employee of the hotel that assisted me with my safe was Frank in maintenace department, like John he was happy and delighted to be there. I didn't get the happy feelings in the restaurant that I received form John and Frank, they must have different managers. The only reason I am giving lower scores on service and cleanliness is because of your restaurant. I would stay at your hotel again, I will just bring my own food next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

During a recent business trip to DC, I chose to stay at the State Plaza Hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews are pretty accurate. This small hotel was converted from an apartment complex, so the rooms are suites with full kitchens. Even though the hotel is an older building, the rooms are quite comfortable. It is located in a great area around George Washington University. I was not impressed with the restaurant in the hotel. I wanted a small made to order breakfast and they only offered a buffet that didn't look too appetizing. So I ate elsewhere. The staff at the hotel where all courteous and went out of their way to help.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!