“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #58 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Belleville, Canada
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I spent 3 nights here with some friends in early September. Hotel is in a great location, maybe a 20 minute drive from Reagan Airport, and an easy walk to the museums and monuments.

Our room was huge! It had 2 beds, a huge kitchen (complete with dishware, table & chairs, stove top and fridge) and equally big bathroom/ dressing area. It was really clean and in a good location - we didn't have any noise.

The room keys were a little odd - kind of like an old school key but electronic (like a usb drive), easy to lose so be careful.

Also, there are two entrances/buildings to the hotel - one on E Street and the other on F Street. If you check in on E Street and are in the F Street building, you'll have to cut through the parking garage, which is a little strange, and the lobby in the F Street building isn't staffed 24 hours, so if you need anything you'll have to go to the E Street lobby.

Would definitely stay here again. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Shorty808,

Greetings to you up north and thank you for taking the time of to review your stay at the State Plaza Hotel. Our rooms are some of the largest you'll find in the city as they were once efficiency condos converted to hotel rooms but we've kept the kitchens and separate vanity rooms in each of the rooms. Our key system will probably be different after our renovations this year and they will look like thin credit cards and you can just scan them at the door for entry.

Take care and we hope to see you again.

857 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

One night stay for business trip - chosen by office. I found I was paying over $50 per night more than they were offering on the web - very confusing pricing - $99 BAR or $160 Government rate? Anyway, I first thought I must have a great rate since I was on the ground floor with a view of the back of a building with a garbage dumpster - apparently not! Also opposite a room they use for groups attending meetings for lunch - noisy at that time. So first advice, stay higher up and not on the first floor in the back building. Yes, the rooms are converted from apartments. Mine was a studio size - large. Huge kitchen - old cabinets and stove top. I think you could ask for a microwave but they may charge you more. Huge refrigerator. Very comfy kind bed. Liked the dressing room and old fashioned vanity with lights. Very good towels - Frette and products.Bistro - got a take away sandwich which was fine. Breakfast - had the continental - not a very good selection of breads/pastries, fresh fruit salad and yogurts. Good coffee. Staff very nice and helpful. Overall, I think it depends on the room you get and if you want to cook yourself. Location very good for business and sightseeing.

Room Tip: West side - stay high.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear newyork025,

Thank you for posting your review. We are always striving to get better and these reviews offer us the best sources where we need to focus to do just that. We do deliver microwaves at no charge. We're glad you enjoyed our restaurant and that you found our staff nice and helpful. Take care.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I opened a trip advisor account just to review this Hotel. I've read the other reviews and they are all pretty accurate. When I arrived, my cab door was opened by John (a gentleman in a suit) he took my luggage to the desk and got me through the check out process, he was a tall well groomed polite man, might have been a manager, definatley has a nice attitude and was happy to be there. My room "wow" and it was just me using all this space, I could have brought my kids along since I was just traveling from Baltimore for two nights, the room was actually that big. Housekeeping was prompt friendly, they seemed to be very detailed with the cleaning methods, although the room was a little dated, I was still comfortable. As an architect I could see and tell that the room was maintained by maintenace, a lot of the details in the rooms have had attention given to them. Even the bright colored tile in the bathroom had clean grouted edges, I could see the electrical had just been updated so, the rooms are kept sharp. I really did not want to write this part but it is a review, the restaurant is awful, whoever is running the up keep of the hotel is obvioulsy not in charge of the restaurant. First, it's dirty and smelly, it smells like the same old mop has been wiped all over the floor for five years. I am familliar with this particualr smell as i worked alot of restaurants through my college and grad years, the dirty ones always smell the same. Second, why do you not have itemized breakfast menu instead of the terrible buffet that is overpriced cold and just not appetizing. The other employee of the hotel that assisted me with my safe was Frank in maintenace department, like John he was happy and delighted to be there. I didn't get the happy feelings in the restaurant that I received form John and Frank, they must have different managers. The only reason I am giving lower scores on service and cleanliness is because of your restaurant. I would stay at your hotel again, I will just bring my own food next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

During a recent business trip to DC, I chose to stay at the State Plaza Hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews are pretty accurate. This small hotel was converted from an apartment complex, so the rooms are suites with full kitchens. Even though the hotel is an older building, the rooms are quite comfortable. It is located in a great area around George Washington University. I was not impressed with the restaurant in the hotel. I wanted a small made to order breakfast and they only offered a buffet that didn't look too appetizing. So I ate elsewhere. The staff at the hotel where all courteous and went out of their way to help.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

State Plaza is a fantastic hotel only 10 minutes walking from the White House and major tourist attractions in this great city. We stayed for 5 nights and took dinner in the Bistro every night. The prices for dinner were very good and the food excellent. The room was large with a kitchen. The beds were comfortable and freshly changed each day. Spotlessly clean everywhere. We only had a minor issue with the heating which we could not control very well but we had a window which opened so that was not a problem. We were there in late November. We will certainly stay there again and would not look for anywhere else in Washington. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear 112SusanJ,

Greetings to you in the UK! We're happy to have read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. Our Bistro is among the local favorites here and we're glad you didn't have to go far to have a great meal. We appreciate your consideration of our hotel in the future and wish you all the best.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here for 4 days/ 3 nights during spring break because I got a good deal with an online travel company. The rooms were nice and clean, and I really liked that they had a mini kitchen and a big ref to store all my Georgetown Cupcakes. Complimentary wifi was fast. Beds were comfy. Staff was helpful and patient, even if I asked them twice about getting to Foggy Bottom station for two consecutive days. They were also able to get me a cab immediately. Location was great--only a few minutes' walk to Foggy Bottom station and near GWU Campus, as well as some convenience stores (I forgot to bring tooth paste, so good thing there was this college-ran store a few steps away). Walkable, adorable neighborhood. I found it cool that I could still get in to the lobby at night with just my key card. When I needed to print my plane itinerary before leaving, staff directed me to a computer room/ business center where I was able to use their computer and print without charge. I'd definitely stay here again when I return to DC.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear belr0,

We're so glad you discovered Georgetown Cupcakes (great cupcakes) and that you were able to store them in your in-room refrigerator. Thank you for your flattering review of the State Plaza Hotel and it's staff and we look forward to having you back.
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the State plaza for 5 nights in August and loved it. It was located close to everything. Walking distance to bus tours, monuments, the white house, Georgetown and Foggy Bottom, restaurants, starbucks and corner stores and the metro. Plus cabs are always driving by if you need to grab one. The staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. The room was very big. With 2 beds, a kitchen with a microwave, full size fridge, stove top and coffee maker. Bathroom was large with a small makeup/getting ready room next to it. The room was clean and well maintained while we were there.

The parking is a reasonable price and the valet service is very good.The front desk staff are very helpful and you're provided with a very extensive guide to the area and map when you check in.

I got a great price on the hotel and would have paid more after seeing how great the service was, the location and the size of the room.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear fife_4,

We are happy to have read your review and great to know you loved your stay with us since you were here for 5 nights. I know how important it is to find a place with home comforts when you are away from home. We hope we can be of service to you again should your travel plans bring you back to Washington D.C.

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!