“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sizzling Summer Savings!
Ranked #62 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Barry, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights last week and found it to be a great place to stay. It's close to the metro and the national mall so for tourists it's ideal. The room I had was huge and had a small kitchen which was very handy.

The staff were all great, especially the bellman who showed me to my room. I didn't catch his name but he was a New Yorker and was extremely helpful and friendly. The front of house staff were great too and always welcomed me when I returned from a day out in DC.

Overall the State Plaza is a great hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when I'm in DC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear DaveRuckley,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. We know exactly who you were referring to regarding our New Yorker bellman and we will make sure to let him know about his great services and how it's making a positive impact on our Guests such as the one you've experienced with us. Take care.

920 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We spent the Veterans Day long weekend in DC and stayed at the State Plaza Hotel. Yes, the decor is outdated, but boy did we get our money's worth. It was clean, the beds were comfortable, and having a kitchen was very nice. We were able to have breakfasts in our room with plenty of coffee just as we like. On the first morning we realized the coffee maker did not work (there was a piece missing). A call to the front desk and within minutes someone brought another one. We also asked for a bigger pot to cook our dinner and someone brought us a bag with all the necessary pots, and a sponge. Great service, always with a smile. We didn't use the restaurant, so cannot comment on it. There is a business centre with two computers and printers. It was great to be able to print boarding passes for our flight back to Canada. All in all, we would recommend this hotel for its location and its amenities. It is not swanky but it met all our needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Older style,no upscale dining or cafe in hotel. Noisy plumbing, slow elevators. Really loved how it was a short walk to national mall, white house & restaurantes. Great for families as room comes with kitchenettes with refrigerators, stove and sink, dinette set. Parking $28/day but never took car out. Friendly informative bell men. Comfortable beds, very clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Hula22,

We're glad you enjoyed our Hotel and location but sorry that you missed our restaurant. We actually have a restaurant in our north building called the "F Street Bistro" which is quite good. Thank you for giving us your review and we hope to see you again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

First of all the service in this hotel was good and everything was clean and the room was spacy. Wireless worked quite well but was a bit slow.
My room had a lot of windows and I got all the noise from outside the last day must have been a generator or something very loud near my room so I had problems to sleep well.
I chose this hotel because it was quite cheap compared to others and it is located only 2 Street away from the mall. I can access all attractions by foot.

Dear cpuboni,

We're glad to have heard from you and we apologize for the noise. We found out that on the day you expereinced the loud noise, the city was working on smoothing out some pavement just next to the hotel. We apologize for this and we always try to work with the city to do their maintenance work during acceptable hours of the day. Take care and we hope to see you again.
Pearl River, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel this past weekend, it was great. My sister and I came to DC to just do an adult trip and see everything we have in the past. Upon arrival we were thrilled that there was a 24hr CVS right next door along with a liquor store. The check in the great - we arrived early then the check in time and they gave us our room anyways. Were on the 8th floor - view is eh but when are you really in the hotel room? The rooms are great! ( people have wrote that the rooms are outdated and need to be updated) The older style rooms and furnture go along with all the oldness of DC. The kitchen is great we made coffee and bagles every morning - the toaster is great along with the fridge, and maid service does the dishes!!. Bathroom, is small water goes hot and cold but oh well didnt bother me and the little powder room was great for me and my sis getting ready, Bed are SUPER Comfy!! i want to take one home! .. Location - everything is like a 10-15 min walk. .Not bad at all, it was refreshing, downside of location is that not too many bars around. We walked a few blocks to Circa - great little place! A lot of college kids though but we fit in.. Over all place is great and will def stay here again..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We lucked out with a corner room on the 7th floor so we had windows throughout. Living area faced F street and the GW dorms. Room faced an office building. The room was clean and comfortable. Liked the flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom. The kitchen had a microwave, fridge, electric burners, and plates and cups. I did not find pots/pans and didn't ask for any. The hotel was very quiet with the exception of some slight noise on Friday and Saturday night coming from the streets below. The elevator also made some slight bangs only noticeable when in the living room.

The location is great. It is a short walk to the Foggy Bottom metro, Whole Foods, and restaurants. We never felt unsafe walking around the Foggy Bottom area. The GW University definitely helps with feeling safe due to the number of people on the streets at night. During our trip, we walked from our hotel to Lincoln and the neighboring memorials (.5 mile), MLK (1 mile), Jefferson (1.5-2 miles), and made our way back to the Holocaust museum, and walked back to the hotel. We also had a nice walk back to the hotel from the Air and Space museum. Of course, this is all depending on the weather on whether or not you will enjoy it or be miserable.

We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor facing either E or F street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear flacohurley,

Congratulations for lucking out on one of our best suites in house. We're glad you enjoyed it. We do deliver pots and pans upon request at no charge so please ask for them next time your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC and we will be happy to deliver them to you. Thank you.
Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was travelling by my self so spent a long time trying to find an affordable hotel, within easy reach of the sites.

This hotel is on the edge of the George Washington University, a safe area and within 10- 15 mins walk of the mall and the White House. There is a little student grill place across the road that does breakfast starting at $1 dollar.

The rooms are spacious and it has great Wifi, which was handy to call my other half and parents whilst here.

I think it was reasonably priced given the location, the massive room and clean look. I do agree that it looks a bit dated, but as everything is clean, tidy and fresh this is no concern to me. When I come again to DC I will be looking to stay here again.

Room Tip: The top floor has some views of the city.
Dear Sarah E,

Nice to know our reviews at Tripadvisor helped you choose the State Plaza Hotel. We understand how important reviews are online and we take it very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to add to our reviews and we hope to see you again. Take care.

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!