“Excellent Hotel with a decent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sizzling Summer Savings!
Ranked #62 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Pearl River, New York
“Excellent Hotel with a decent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel this past weekend, it was great. My sister and I came to DC to just do an adult trip and see everything we have in the past. Upon arrival we were thrilled that there was a 24hr CVS right next door along with a liquor store. The check in the great - we arrived early then the check in time and they gave us our room anyways. Were on the 8th floor - view is eh but when are you really in the hotel room? The rooms are great! ( people have wrote that the rooms are outdated and need to be updated) The older style rooms and furnture go along with all the oldness of DC. The kitchen is great we made coffee and bagles every morning - the toaster is great along with the fridge, and maid service does the dishes!!. Bathroom, is small water goes hot and cold but oh well didnt bother me and the little powder room was great for me and my sis getting ready, Bed are SUPER Comfy!! i want to take one home! .. Location - everything is like a 10-15 min walk. .Not bad at all, it was refreshing, downside of location is that not too many bars around. We walked a few blocks to Circa - great little place! A lot of college kids though but we fit in.. Over all place is great and will def stay here again..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

864 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We lucked out with a corner room on the 7th floor so we had windows throughout. Living area faced F street and the GW dorms. Room faced an office building. The room was clean and comfortable. Liked the flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom. The kitchen had a microwave, fridge, electric burners, and plates and cups. I did not find pots/pans and didn't ask for any. The hotel was very quiet with the exception of some slight noise on Friday and Saturday night coming from the streets below. The elevator also made some slight bangs only noticeable when in the living room.

The location is great. It is a short walk to the Foggy Bottom metro, Whole Foods, and restaurants. We never felt unsafe walking around the Foggy Bottom area. The GW University definitely helps with feeling safe due to the number of people on the streets at night. During our trip, we walked from our hotel to Lincoln and the neighboring memorials (.5 mile), MLK (1 mile), Jefferson (1.5-2 miles), and made our way back to the Holocaust museum, and walked back to the hotel. We also had a nice walk back to the hotel from the Air and Space museum. Of course, this is all depending on the weather on whether or not you will enjoy it or be miserable.

We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor facing either E or F street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear flacohurley,

Congratulations for lucking out on one of our best suites in house. We're glad you enjoyed it. We do deliver pots and pans upon request at no charge so please ask for them next time your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC and we will be happy to deliver them to you. Thank you.
Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was travelling by my self so spent a long time trying to find an affordable hotel, within easy reach of the sites.

This hotel is on the edge of the George Washington University, a safe area and within 10- 15 mins walk of the mall and the White House. There is a little student grill place across the road that does breakfast starting at $1 dollar.

The rooms are spacious and it has great Wifi, which was handy to call my other half and parents whilst here.

I think it was reasonably priced given the location, the massive room and clean look. I do agree that it looks a bit dated, but as everything is clean, tidy and fresh this is no concern to me. When I come again to DC I will be looking to stay here again.

Room Tip: The top floor has some views of the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sarah E,

Nice to know our reviews at Tripadvisor helped you choose the State Plaza Hotel. We understand how important reviews are online and we take it very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to add to our reviews and we hope to see you again. Take care.
Braila, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I chosed this hotel for the location and the budget. My intention was to stay a week to visit another DC, after last year I made a touristic tour in 2 days. The hotel was perfect. Near to a metri station (5-10 minutes walk), near to downtown. There are apartments in the hotel and near there is a CVS and a liquor store. The neighboroughts are quite and safe. The staff was wonderfull. The apartment has a bedroom, a livingroom, a bathroom, a kitchen and 3 closets. The bedroom was large, in the livingroom I put my laptop (free wi-fi). The bathroom was ok, with what I needed. In the kitchen is a big fridge, a stove and everything you need for cooking and eating.
My room was at first floor at the end of the corridor. From there you can go in the inner yard when you can smoke.
Every morning I had free cofee and tea. And the newspaper.
I reccomand this hotel for budget, cleanliness, quiet and location.
You don't need breakfast at the hotel, you can make it yourself.

Room Tip: The E street entrance building
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear puzzleeurope,

We were so happy to have read that you found our hotel to be "perfect" for numerous reasons. There is a great satisfaction among our staff when our Guests leave our hotel happy and raving about State Plaza Hotel and it's staff. Thank you.
Grafton, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The State Plaza Hotel is a great place to stay in DC. The rooms are enormous for a city hotel, suites actually. There is a nice full kitchen (though no microwave) and plenty of room. they are converted old apartments and have that feel which I am certainly not opposed to. The beds were very comfortable, the rooms clean. the staff was helpful and polite. And the price can't be beat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear WholeWideEd,

Greetings! It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rates a great value and our staff polite and helpful. We do have microwaves and we bring them to you upon request free of charge. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.
Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The location is fantastic! The staff is very friendly and attentive. The "rooms" are spacious. The bar in the restaurant is small but the service was personal and friendly. But...the property needs an upgrade. I read that they are going to upgrade soon which is great. Unfortunately I'm sure that my family and others will be priced out of this terrifically located hotel :-(
We traveled with 2 teenagers (a boy and girl!) so we booked a suite (through booking.com). The rate was great and the room was a converted apartment with a kitchen, large living area with a huge fold out bed/couch, a huge double bedroom and a teeny-tiny bathroom. Luckily there was a vanity area outside the bath so the "ladies" had a place to get ready while someone else showered-shaved-ect. The carpets are really old, the heat hadn't been turned on yet (the front desk volunteered a space heater--but I had visions of setting the place on fire with that!), we needed more garbage cans and the staff was awesome in that they put one in the kitchen BEFORE we even asked :-) The beds were very comfortable and the bed linens were clean and comfy. My son said the fold-out was comfortable. The noise from outside was a non-issue, even on garbage morning.
I really want to give this property 4 stars because of the staff, the value!!! and the location...I just can't. However, if you can excuse the little things (which we can and we would book here again) I do recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear AML67,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned, we are renovating the hotel which should address some of your concerns. Let us know the next time you're visiting DC. You might just be pleasantly surprised as we will continue to strive to be the best value in town even after our renovations.
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We've stayed at the State Plaza numerous times over the years and enjoyed its proximity to GWU, all the monuments, the White House, the Metro, etc. We're from Canada and would certainly stay at the State Plaza during future visits to D.C. The staff have been most helpful with everything including the valet parking and information about the sites to see in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear SGarlick,

It is always a pleasure to read a review when our Guests appreciate our helpful staff and we thank you for taking the time to post it. Thank you for continuing to stay with us while in DC and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to State Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!