“I'd say "excellent" if they'd not charged me twice in the end...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #50 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Moscow, Russia
“I'd say "excellent" if they'd not charged me twice in the end...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I liked the hotel very much: it creates the sense of luxuriance: large, nicely decorated bedroom, separate kitchen room, everything is clean but well-maintained, though not brand-new. Centrally located in Washington. Street bicycles rental next street if anybody is interested ))

I was charged twice. I've got 2 alert messages immediately and told the same to the lady at front desk. She assured me only one is charge, another - hold. I've left my bank phone numbers and she promised to release the hold. However it was pure double-processing. Now I have to spend my time for initiating chargeback (( Better pay cash in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Great visit to the Washington DC area. Stayed 3 nights. Large room that had a kitchen area - didn't have lots of pots/pans etc., but enough for a cooked breakfast or simple meal. Grocery store not far. Room was clean and comfortable. King size bed was comfy. Nice and friendly staff. About 4 blocks from White House - nice walking distance. Safe area - near Georgetown Univ. Then we boarded Old Town Trolley for the rest of the sights. Nice trip - would definitely stay at the hotel again. Internet was down during our stay - went up on the last day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lapeer, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

The room was very nice, clean, large, with good service. Second room for eating and cooking. Full sized refrigerator, four burner cook stove, NO oven; microwave upon request. Valet parking $30 daily plus tax; parking garage next door. CVS next door, with limited food selection. Unfortunately, Internet connection with wifi and wired was very problematic. Many times NOT working, almost impossible to use in the room. Lobby worked some days and not other days. Staff was clueless about the Internet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I took our two kids (7yr and 5yr) to visit Washington D.C. We wanted a hotel that was close to the Washington Mall and to the Metro, and that was not very expensive. I found State Plaza Hotel through TripAdvisor and was happy that it met my requirements.

State Plaza Hotel is not very big, but it suited our needs. We had a room in the South Building (on F Street). Our room had two queen size beds that were very comfortable, and a small kitchenette. It was great to have a small table and two chairs in the kitchenette so we can each our breakfast. We brought boxes of cereal with us and got milk from the CVS next door to the hotel (on E Street).

The room was pretty quiet. Only time I heard noises was early in the morning when the garbage trucks came to haul trash (from F Street Bistro, I'm guessing).

The bathroom was small, but it didn't bother us. Outside of the bathroom was a vanity area, which made up for the size of the bathroom. I found it odd that I couldn't find the hairdryer, but then on our last day I found that it was in the closet on the top shelf. Found that was a strange location for it.

The elevator was very slow. We ate dinner a couple of times at the F Street Bistro, which has an entrance from the hotel. Getting down to the entrance took a bit of a while.

The valet parking ($30/night) was convenient. We would call the front desk to request our car and within 5 to 10 minutes the car was waiting for us in front of the building.

The hotel is close to the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. It is convenient because parking is so difficult in D.C. The hotel is also surrounded by GWU Fraternity houses. Surprisingly, we didn't hear a lot of noise that we expect from fraternity houses.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel. If you keep in mind the buildings are old and the hotel is not as modern as one of the major hotel chains, then you will appreciate it for what it is.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
BRAZIL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We loved: cleanliness ,location,staff very friendly, size of room, size of beds, bath accessories.
We hated: a bit far from subway, wireless internet (during 4 days, I just had 30 surfing minutes inside the room, only using cable), the prices could be lower for what it delivers

Room Tip: don´t pick a room with alley view. Noysy!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband, son and I stayed here for four days and would definitely stay here again if we come back to D.C. While some reviews say they weren't able to get parking in the hotel's ramp, we did. It was expensive ($30/day) and as I understand from other reviews, is about $5-$10 more/day than the ramp down the street, but the benefit of valet service was worth it for us.

We got one of the suites with a kitchenette, separate bedroom and a hide-a-bed in the living room area. This was perfect for the three of us. The living room and bedroom both had TVs, so my son and husband could watch separate shows.

Some reviews say the hotel is dated in decor. However, it's not shabby. We don't mind if our furnishings are not the latest style as long as they are in good shape. We learned from the staff, that it used to be an apartment building, which explains some of the layout and features of the building (such as the kitchenette having 1950s/60s metal cabinets).

Our first day, we walked from the hotel to the Mall area. It was an easy walk (about 6 blocks). A full day of walking to the Mall attractions and back added up to about about 5 miles -- which wasn't bad since we didn't do it all at once. Our feet were tired by the end of the day, but not bad.

For those who don't want to walk far, the Metro (subway train) is only 3-4 blocks away on the GW campus, and it's a very easy way to quickly get to the major attractions for a small amount of money.

Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Neighborhood felt safe.
The hotel is situated right next to George Washington University, so there are restaurants a short walk away (about 3-6 blocks). There is a CVS pharmacy and a liquor store right next door to the hotel, and another CVS about 4-6 blocks away in the university area, so you can stock your room with bread, milk, juice, cereal, etc. The CVS even has boxed salads and sandwiches.

My only con is that the walls are a bit thin. One evening several children were romping in the room next door and you could hear them quite easily.

Room Tip: Kitchenette has pans, flatware, dishes and glasses
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Great hotel located within easy walking to the whitehouse, washinton monument, Lincoln memorial & GW university, as well as a metro stop close by. Staff were helpful & the room was very nice & also had a kitchen. Only complaint was wifi only available in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2011