“Great Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

My friends and I stayed at the Renaissance M hotel and found it to be very affordable with a good location. Having booked the hotel off of Priceline it was a great deal for a hotel in the D.C. area. The rooms were not huge, but they were well decorated with a modern flair. We did not stay a lot in our rooms so it was more than adequate for us. The rooms were very clean with comfortable beds. The lobby was attractive. Many places were in walking distance or a short cab's ride away. We ate at the Chinese restaurant across the street one night. The restaurant had inside and patio seating. We found the food to be good-especially the lemon chicken. I would highly recommend the Renaissance M hotel if one can find a good deal at a discount price like we did. I would not however, pay the average price listed which is somewhere around $320.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

The bed was nice, and the staff were efficient. Main disadvantages:

1. My room had a tiny window and not really impressive amount of light.

2. This was converted from an older property and the doors lack quiet closing mechanisms or good soundproofing. So on a weekend morning I was jolted awake with large numbers of people leaving their rooms for a meeting or something and the doors would go BANG... BANG... BANG, like shotguns going off. If you are not an early riser, and don't sleep well through gunfights, I would avoid this hotel.

3. The room had shampoo and conditioner containing mint, to which I am allergic. The hotel stocks no alternative, so I had to go buy my own shampoo. If a hotel of this caliber (or indeed, any caliber) insists on providing a fancy-smelling herbal shampoo, fine, but at least stock an alternative.

• Liked — Comfortable bed; stand-up shower.
  • Disliked — Very noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

The staff was great. Especially Ali and Kevin at the the M Bar. Very convenient dining and drinks with the M Bar and Iffy Coffee (which I love). The desk, concierge and bellhops were all pleasant and helpful. The room I had was clean, spacious, and modern. The desk had a multi-plug plate that was very helpful. Free wifi, which is becoming rarer with hotels in this category. My only complaint is with housekeeping. I had my "do not disturb up until 0830, and my room didn't get cleaned, and they didn't replace my room service door hanger and laundry bags. Great location in a neighborhood with a lot going on. The location was perfect for where I was working on this business trip, so I have no substantial complaints.

• Liked — The M Bar (busy, if older, crowd)
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel (2 room - one for kids) for the weekend. It was a decent enough hotel with modern amenities. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and it was average in size. Bathroom counter was a bit small. Walk in shower with no tub was great! (I guess it depends on your preference).

The only problem I had was with the front desk who helped book me a car departing DC to the airport. The first person at the conseierge booked it for the wrong time. The second person I spoke to got a bit impatient with his tone of voice when I was asking how much time to allot for going to the airport. It was the middle of the day and I'm sure he was busy; however, that's his job - to help the guests with a smile (even on the phone). At the end of the day, we did get a very nice car booked to go to the airport at 4:30 in the morning.

It was a average hotel, but I've stayed at better.

• Liked — Modern facilities, clean, comfortable
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Allentown, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My wife and I were going to DC to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. I wanted a nice hotel within walking distance to Georgetown and other sites and this hotel seemed perfect. I read the reviews on this site prior to booking and felt good doing so. However, I could not have been more disappointed in this property. We checked in late after a long trip. We unpacked, my wife took a shower and I realized how warm it was in the room. The thermostat was broken. I called the front desk and got disconnected two times. So I went down to the front desk. They first told me they would send engineering up however it was late and i didn't want to wait around forever for them so I requested a new room. I was told they were completely sold out. When I insisted, they miracuously found a new room for us. However, no one from the bell service was available to help move us because a large party was checking in. The new room was OK, however the door didn't close all the way and very few of the electrical sockets worked...but at least the AC was working. In the morning, I told the front desk about the issues with the new room and they said they would get engineering on it. When we returned at 5pm to shower before dinner, not only had engineering not been there but the room hadn't even been made up yet.
I found the staff to be aloof, arrogant, not helpful and one gentleman very strange (boderline inappropriate).
Bottom line, go someplace else!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Roanoke
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the end of June for a weekend and we found the hotel to be OK. We booked through Priceline and I think it was about 100 dollars per night. We found a parking spot on the street in front of the hotel so we did not pay the 32 dollars a day valet parking. The parking on the street is free in DC from Friday after 6 PM until Monday morning. The hotel is a few blocks from the Metro which came in handy. All in all a good experience.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — No smoking rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

I was with a group that stayed at the Renaissance M Street Hotel at the end of June. The hotel was completely booked. I was in a king room on the 9th floor. Friends were in a double room on the 7th floor. My room on the 9th floor was perfect. Large entry hall, super comfy king bed, desk, LCD TV. Our "view" was an interior view overlooking other rooms of the hotel. That was the only downside. The A/C was super cold and quiet. Both rooms were beautifully decorated in a contemporary fashion. My traveling companions didn't have the same perfect experience, though. Their room was smaller, the A/C was very noisy and leaked water onto the carpet for about three feet away from the a/c unit. It was a "handicap" room, so there was no tub, only a shower. When anyone took a shower, the water went all over the entire bathroom floor and their was nothing you could do about it.

Now I know why this hotel receives so many mixed reviews. If you're in a nice, normal sized room like I was, it was a great experience. In fact, the LA Galaxy soccer team was playing the D.C. United team while we were there and the team stayed on the 9th floor of the hotel. (Can you say David Beckham!?!) I'm sure their rooms were equal or better than mine. So, your experience at this hotel just depends on the room you are assigned. Their are some "tiny" rooms, some rooms that need work, and also some great rooms.

The lobby was beautifully decorated. The hotel personnel were fantastic! They worked so hard to please everyone at the hotel, and it was a very crowded weekend.

You have about a four block walk to either the Dupont Circle or Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Many restaurants in the surrounding area, everything from fast food to four star dining. You're only about a mile from Georgetown and great shopping. You're surrounded by various embassies and other very nice hotels. Overall, I was very pleased with the location and the hotel. If I didn't know the experience of other traveling companions, I would have given this a five star review.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel? Share your experiences!