“Decent stay for business travelers” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel

You added Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1143 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #80 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“Decent stay for business travelers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Pros: Staff helpful and friendly. Room clean and decent size. Good location; took a 15 minute walk to the White House.

Cons: Didn't appreciate being next to the elevator, but apparently that was all that was available, despite Marriott Rewards Gold level. (I think reservation desk was more concerned about getting me into larger room vs location of room.) No mini bar in room, a little inconvenient since my business function was a late event and ended after room service closed for the night.

Keep in mind this is a boutique hotel; I was a little surprised since my previous Renaissance stays have been in bigger hotels.

I had no WiFi issues like previous reviewers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Hi JFrig,
Thank you for the review and thank you for being a Marriott Gold Rewards Member! We are a boutique style hotel with rooms that are modern and clean, but do tend to run on the smaller side. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. With Marriott Gold Elite Members like yourself, we try to make an effort to place you in rooms that are a little larger. One suggestion I would make is to set up a preference in your Marriott Rewards profile for a room further from the elevator. This will help notify other Marriott hotels to place you in a guest room further from the elevator. Of course, if you would like to reach out to me and send me a message with your Rewards information I can make sure that this does not happen again at our hotel. Thank you for your loyalty to our brand. I hope to see you soon. Take care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed for a conference - not a bad property, the rooms are clean, well lit and have aveda amenities but they are on the small side. The club lounge is a bit off on offerings - this property makes you pay for wine (where no other Renaissance does...) in the lounge and they asked for cash--no receipt! very odd. The breakfast has a variety of stale bread options but luckily redeems itself with decent oatmeal and lots of fresh fruit. Meh for what you pay for....For $400 bucks a night, its so-so. Kimpton properties are much better!

Hi DC-IMF-FAO traveler,
Thank you for the candid feedback. I was disappointed to see that we fell short of your expectations. It sounds like we did not provide you with a very memorable experience. We take these comments very seriously and I will use this feedback as a training opportunity for the team. Feel free to reach out to me if you decide to give us another shot and we will give you the VIP treatment you deserve. Thank you
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here over Labor Day Weekend. The price was amazing, as Congress was out of town for the holiday weekend. The room size was adequate (one bed) and the furnishings were well done and the bathroom was contemporary and stylish. I did not use the wifi in the room, did not have a car, nor did i use the bar or coffee area in the lobby. I found the staff to be welcoming and the cleanliness from the maid was good. The staff called a cab for me (which picked me up quite early - 3:30am) with no complainng at all. There was no view from the windows, as it overlooked another office building. The best part of this stay (besides the price) was the location. I got off at the GWU/Foggy Bottom station- and walked just a couple of enjoyable blocks. You are close to a Whole Foods market for snacks and food, close to Dupon Circle for its bars and restaurants. The area is quite safe and full of people all day and night. I liked this general location more than staying closer to the capitol or in VA.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hi tallcodude,
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us over the holiday weekend. I agree, it is a such a great location and pretty close to wherever you'd like to be! We look forward to having you again soon. Take care
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

As several reviewers have stated, some of the rooms are small, really small. Others have stated that their rooms were large so it must depend upon the location. We stayed on 8th floor, which is Marriott concierge floor. If this is an upgrade for elite members, what a disappointment! This room would be fine for single person or couple but not when traveling with teenagers. There couldn't be much more than two or three feet around each of two full-sized beds. The desk chair hit the bed when pulled out. The bathroom contained small vanity, tub/shower and toilet (approximately 5 x 8).

The location was very convenient with Metro (a few blocks away) and Circulator bus stop nearby. Coffee shop is next door (Izzy). Located across the street, Grillfish is a nice option for lunch ($10-$15)-try the fish and mushroom chowder or brunch, if you like oysters. Overall, room size was a big disappointment. I have stayed at other hotels in Dupont Circle and this room was half the size with similar price. Not a good value unless you are using Priceline.

Room Tip: Rooms facing street have better cell reception.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hi PAHITTHEROAD,

Thank you for your feedback. While I see you appreciated the local area, the room size was clearly a disappointment. We are a boutique style hotel with rooms that are clean and modern and have everything you may need, but do tend to run on the small side. The room sizes do vary however, and if you decide to stay with us again you may find a room available on another floor that may have the square footage that others do not. Thank you again for the note and take care.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I agree with other reveiwers that getting a cell signal is challenging. I stayed on the 8th floor, facing inward, and repeated found myself seeing "0 bars" on my cell phone. If I walked into the lounge, the signal was spotty. On the ground floor lobby, I saw signal availability strongest.

The room was clean, large and easy to walk around. The carpet design seemed to be a bit updated and felt did not match the decor of the wallpaper and the furniture. But the room was clean, no odors of any kind and a comfortable bed and bedding.

Lounge staff was incredibly helpful and polite. The hotel itself is in a good location, walkable to multiple restaurants and getting a taxi is very easy.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have stayed here before but have never written a review because I was only in transit. This time I had a full two weeks to get a feel for the place, and it ain't too bad.
Firstly the location is ideal for both tourists and business folks alike. 10 minutes to Dupont circle (don't let the name fool you, this hotel is not on Dupont Circle), 15 minutes to George Town and 5 minutes to the Foggy Bottom Metro. There is also a good selection of restaurants close by and a convenience store just across the street.
The bar and reception area are very pleasant and the food gets a 9/10 in my book for quality and value. The rooms are a bit on the cramped side but the sleep quality is good and everything works.
But what sets this place apart from the other local establishments, at a similar cost, is the friendly service you get from everyone. Often times 'have a nice day'is just a platitude but here the team seem to genuinely mean it and enjoy thier work. Good on ya.
I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Some, but not all, rooms have a bath - great for washing your smalls over the weekend :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hi Gustypants,
Thanks for the great review of our hotel. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you join us again soon. Sincerely, Mike Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The staff was very friendly, and the finishings were very luxurious feeling. The room we had was the cheapest so a little small but the location was great- close to Dupont Circle and right by the bus to Georgetown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel? Share your experiences!