“hotel review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The River Inn

Booking.com Expedia.com
The River Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   924 25th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
Tour of DC Package
Ranked #14 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“hotel review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Excellent service, friendly staff, great location, comfortable rooms and very good restaurant. Kitchenettes very useful for multi- day stays.Close to a Metro station and Georgetown. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review and your recommendation to others. We hope to see you again soon at The River Inn next time you’re in the Washington, D.C. area.

727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
montreal, QC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was the third time we have stayed at River Inn, and I have reviewed it before, but I like the hotel so much that I want to review it again.
• Location: Foggy Bottom, 15 min. walk to Kennedy Center, walking distance to tour Georgetown, short distance to Metro station and located on a mostly residential street with pretty row houses and flowers. Metro ride to the Mall and other destinations is easy and takes minutes only.
• Room: every unit is really a little (but not tiny) studio apartment with a small but complete kitchen (coffee maker w/beans and grinder; dishes and utensils; cooking equipment), couch and easy chair besides the bed, nice new TV. Nicely furnished, big windows, all very comfortable. Climate control has easy controls and is responsive - important in DC in warm months.
• Bath: good lighting, nice quality towels, large "rain" style showerhead.
It is exceptionally pleasant to return from a day of activity to this little apartment, and having the kitchen frees one from all-restaurant meals. The restaurant in the hotel is very good, and all the staff are friendly and courteous.
We certainly intend to return to River Inn on any trip to Washington DC.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive reviews. We are very close to the Kennedy Center, Georgetown, National Mall, and also to the metro station. I am glad that our location was very convenient for you. It’s great to hear you found your room very comfortable and nicely furnished as well. Many guests enjoy the large showerhead and the quality of towels also. It’s great to know you enjoyed the in-house restaurant and thank you again for another great review from you. We hope to see you soon.
Winterswijk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel met our expectations as read on their own web-site.
Metrostation Foggy Bottum and big supermarket at short walkingdistance.
Excellent beds, clean rooms, small kitchen was good enough for the two of us, friendly staff.
We would go back for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to hear you had a great stay with us and that you would come back again in the future. I am glad we proved our quality and consistency to you. Metro station, sites, and grocery stores are all walking distance, which many guests do find very convenient and helpful. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Surprisingly upon check in, we were upgraded to a larger room since we were a family of 5, so the stay was very comfortable. Location was nice in a beautiful tree lined street and the Foggy Bottom Metro station was just a block away. The warm, friendly and helpful staff was certainly a plus factor. I would'nt think twice in recommending the hotel to families.

• Stayed May 2013
Hello! I am glad you are pleased with our service, staff, and rooms. Thank you for recommending The River Inn to others. It’s great that you found our location convenient for you. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for your review.
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

What a great find this was. Let's go over the highlights:

Room size - I think of hotel rooms in urban centers and I think *small*. I knew that these suites had kitchenettes, but I expected the room to be creatively configured to cram in all the components. Not so at all. The main room is large with a chaise lounge, cushy chair and office chair in addition to the bed. Tucked discretely behind the wall behind the bed is the kitchenette with a surprising amount of cabinet and counter space. Finally, there is tons of additional space for toiletries on the counter in the hallway leading to the bathroom. Simply put, this was a fantastically roomy area for our six night stay, and I imagine longer stays would remain plenty comfortable. Speaking of...

The bed: Obviously personal preference reigns supreme when it comes to beds. All I can say is that I rarely sleep comfortably enough away from home that I don't wake up at least once in the middle of the night, or worse, in the early morning hours, inhibiting my ability to fall asleep again as I excitedly anticipate the upcoming day. Here, without fail, every night I fell asleep rapidly and stayed fast asleep until our alarm went off. Bliss.

Location: I thought it was fantastic. You will be on a very, VERY quiet side street on a residential block of the Foggy Bottom / George Washington University neighborhood. Yet, just a few blocks to the east is the metro station which grants fast transit access to Reagan and the main attractions of the city. From that point east are a couple of blocks of restaurants and bars (the hotel has its own restaurant/bar, as well), as well as a Whole Foods (perfect for stocking the kitchenette, you know). Just beyond that is Pennsylvania, and once you find yourself there, you are an incredibly short distance from the White House. Or consider how close you are to Georgetown to the NW, or the Dupont Circle neighborhood to the north/northeast, both within easy walking distance. The neighborhood is clean, attractive and safe. You get the best of both worlds - a quiet little block on the edge of the hustle and bustle of popular neighborhoods.

I just turned to my partner to make sure I wasn't omitting anything, particularly anything negative that needed to be addressed. Nope. As the title says, nothing but good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your detailed, helpful, and positive review. I am very glad to hear that you found our rooms spacious and all items efficiently placed. It is wonderful to hear you slept well and comfortably in your bed. It is also great to hear our location was very convenient for you. As you said, we are on a quiet street that offers privacy but also very close to many exciting D.C. attractions, sites, and also to the Foggy Bottom Metro Station. Thanks again for your review and we definitely hope to see you soon.
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I recently spent three nights at the lovely River Inn in Washington DC while I was on a business trip. The hotel is older but well maintained. My room was spacious and clean. The staff were impeccably friendly and helpful. Best of all, the rooms have small kitchens and there is a Whole Foods store two blocks away, so you can stock up on healthy food if you don't like to eat out all the time. The bed was comfortable and the hotel provides free WiFi, a rarity with higher-end hotels. The neighborhood is charming, residential, and quiet-away from all the hubbub of the mall area. I enjoyed just strolling past all the quaint row houses with their sweet little flower gardens. The only negative is that I couldn't stay longer. I'd return to the River Inn in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Greetings! Thank you so much for your positive review. I am glad you have found our hotel well maintained and our rooms spacious as well as clean. It makes me happy to hear that our staff was accommodating and attentive to your needs. We take pride in our historic location and are delighted you found Foggy Bottom as beautiful as we do. We wish we could have served you longer, but look forward to seeing you at The River Inn for your next visit to our nation’s capital!
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I travel for work frequently and have stayed in at least 30 hotels in the past nine months. Of all of them, The River Inn was by far the nicest. We stayed in a suite with a kitchen. The bedroom and living room were extremely well appointed. The living room was HUGE. The bathroom shower fixture was one of those rainfall showers--I've never seen that in a hotel before and it was really amazing to find. Even the coffee service was impressive--whole beans and a grinder. The staff was super-friendly and helpful. THe location is excellent--right near the Foggy Bottom metro station and a really nice walk to the Mall if you're up for walking. We were lucky enough to be put up at this hotel by the Kennedy Center, but I've already requested to the KC that if they bring us back in, they put us up here again. And I would definitely consider staying here again if I come up myself or with my family.

Room Tip: The suites are very nice.